Sounds like turbo spooling up

KrayJay

ONLY when accelerating really fast starting at around 2800 to 4000 RPMS does my 00 Protege 1.8 whistle like a turbo spooling up. Starts soft and low then whistles louder as the gear/rpm gets higher then starts over soft to loud in the next gear. Remember it only happens when driving it hard otherwise not a peep from it when driving normal.

It's cool that I can control this new sound by the way I drive, but lets face it, it's NOT a turbo charged engine although I want one -------looks up and drools thinking about the 2009 WRX STI(naughty)

1. Could my recently factory replaced intake arm generate the sound when driving hard?
2. Could a leak in the exhaust pipe generate that sound when driving hard?
I doubt either of those 2 but I'm not sure how much flow is going on in the higher rpms.

Guesses anyone?

look at your exhaust and make sure you dont have one of these

turbo_whistler.jpg

its probably just the new intake. or the new filter. when i first got a CAI it made blow off sounds whenever i went WOT and let go of the gas.

This condition is easily fixed by installing an actual turbo in your car :)

you may have a exhost leak. take off you hood and have someone ride on your engine and listen for the sound. ;) or just rev the car till you here it and look for where the sound is coming from. a stethoscope may be helpful but dont let it get to close to your mani, i could melt.

look at your exhaust and make sure you dont have one of these

turbo_whistler.jpg

its probably just the new intake. or the new filter. when i first got a CAI it made blow off sounds whenever i went WOT and let go of the gas.

This condition is easily fixed by installing an actual turbo in your car :)

^ WHOOP WHOOP!!!

I confirmed I don't have that retarded ass devise on my muffler.
I had a sit on the engine while I took a drive and confirmed the sound is not
from there.
We did confirm the sound is coming from a leak in the exhaust.

same sounds happens to my 00 pro too,.,.,sounds like an 747 about to take off,..,lol.,..,.,and its the same rpm and gear as u mentioned,..., mine is a 1.6L though...

auto? mine kinda makes that sound too and its bone stock with k&n ha ha.

My 2003 LX started doing this after the 105K service. I assumed it was from the new timing belt.

mine does it alot too. i have the 03 2.0L ES. one day i was sitting at a light and some guy next to me asked if i had a turbo. sadly i had to say no lol

does it unload like its a blow off valve to because if so its just ur motor and expecialy if u got a cai or shortram no worries

Back