Sound Dampening?

Bones526

:
1999 Mazda Protege
I'm about to put a 2 sub, 600 watt system in the trunk of my '99, and i need to know if it would be good to get some of this dynamat/brownbread type sound dampening stuff. I figure i could buy some and cover my trunk and rear deck with it to make sure nothing rattles (i hate rattly car systems).

I am most concerned about rattle in the trunk once i have the subs installed, but i wouldn't mind reducing the road noise from the rest of the car as well. For any noticeable difference in road noise would i have to cover trunk, doors, floor, ceiling, and firewall? or could i get by with just the trunk, or with the trunk+ rear deck and doors? I'm on a tight budget, so the least i can do with the most improvement is what i'm looking for.

The way i'm looking at it right now, these are my options for areas to cover with deadener:

1.Trunk
2.Trunk+rear deck
3.Trunk+rear deck+doors(all 4)
4.Trunk+rear deck+doors(all 4)+floor+firewall

Lemme know what you think about cost, difficulty, and benefit for all of these options.

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. I found 100 sq ft. of Fat Mat deadener on https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for $120 dollars(shipping included). What do you think? I'd rather spend less than $100, but for 100 sq. ft. hmmm.....

Instead of that stuff, check out the new sound dampening stuff that Elemental Designs is going to start selling soon. It's a liquid so it's wicked easy to apply and sticks anywhere. It also doesn't smell at all! It's priced very competitively as well.

Don't worry about getting it right away though...install the system and listen to it first to pick out your rattles. Then you can come back and hit the trouble spots...at least, that's how I'm gonna do it once it warms up!!! :p

Yeah, it's helluva cold in SC right now. I don't think i'm keen on a liquid sound dampener though. I'd rather use this stuff that comes in rolls with an adhesive backing. Liquid spray stuff seems like a hassle to me.

I just ordered the fatmat trunk kit and liscense palte kit, and it came out to $61.xx shipped. I will let you know how it turns out.

Chris

Bones526 said:
Yeah, it's helluva cold in SC right now. I don't think i'm keen on a liquid sound dampener though. I'd rather use this stuff that comes in rolls with an adhesive backing. Liquid spray stuff seems like a hassle to me.

It's actually not a spray...you can apply it like paint and it gets everywhere. Apparently it's really quite impressive...it'll stick everywhere you need it to, so that you can kill rattles and road noise alike. It's not like the cheap-o spray foam sound deadening...like I said it can be applied exactly like a paint (brush or pressurized spray).

If you want to stick with the roll stuff, though, make sure you get the bulk pack of Dynamat Xtreme off ebay. It's a hell of a price, and really, nothing else in a roll can compare to Dynamat Xtreme.

Nothing can compare to it in price either unfortunately...
I would probably end up paying as much for 36 sq ft of dynamat extreme as i would for 70 of brown bread, or 100 of fat mat. I don't really know how much i'm going to need, as i said in my first post, but slightly higher quality won't help me that much if i can't cover much area with it.

Yeah...the bulk pack is 90$ buy it now on ebay. That's 36sqft. I dunno...I haven't really had too much need for the stuff yet...when it warms up I'll be finding all my rattles and fixing stuff.

Bones526 said:

i hope you like using a heat gun:( the mats, even the extreme type, require a higher temperature for good adheasion. in the cold weather, it'll stick ok, but when it get's hot out, it can unstick:( all in all, if you want to reduce your rattles, you need to spend about $10. get some weather stripping for between the edge of the rear deck and the back window, everywhere the weather stripping comes in contact with the metal underneath it, and around the 3rd brake light, against the window. that's 90% of the rattles taken care of;) use some strips of weather stripping on the back side of your liscense plate, so that doesn't rattle. if there is a trim around it, take it off. just have the plate, nothing else. in the drivers side area behind the wheel well there is a vent. you can take duct tape and cover it up, if it's causing noise. if not, don't worry about it. the rear bumper might rattle, if it's a serious system, but you probably won't have to worry about that with only 600 watts on two 12's. the heat shield over the exhaust might rattle, just bend it a little till it stops;) as far as the rear quarter panels rattling, not likely with what you've got. the trunk lid itself is a point of concern, though. expanding foam and dynamat are a good combination for it. go easy on the foam, as it can expand too much and bubble out the trunk lid. use sparingly, and don't rush it. it's easier to add more, than to remove some and have your trunk lid fixed;) with the foam in the voids behind the metal bracing, the lid won't vibrate much, and a layer or 2 of dynamat over it will help a little, to add extra weight, but is not necessary. with a lot of bass, you'll need to remove your rear speakers and use weather stripping under them, cause they are metal on metal. all this is coming from personal experience:D

where in SC you located? i'm stationed in charleston, till either late feb, or august:D

Wow, thanks for the advice, i had heard about weather stripping on the license plate and what not to reduce rattles, but i'm also somewhat interested in reducing road noise (a severe problem on 1999 Proteges) I've heard that these sound dampening things cut down on road noise and make your stereo louder. Though i think i'd probably have to cover the floor with the dampener to make any difference in road noise.

I live in Greenville, SC, actually in the suburbs right outside it.

Bones526 said:
Wow, thanks for the advice, i had heard about weather stripping on the license plate and what not to reduce rattles, but i'm also somewhat interested in reducing road noise (a severe problem on 1999 Proteges) I've heard that these sound dampening things cut down on road noise and make your stereo louder. Though i think i'd probably have to cover the floor with the dampener to make any difference in road noise.

I live in Greenville, SC, actually in the suburbs right outside it.

the mats don't reduce road noise much. trust me, i've done my floor, doors, and 2 layers on my roof:( works good for reducing the vibrations, but sucks for reducing road noise. you want an absorber, not a dampener, if you want to reduce road noise. check out this stuff:
http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html
i haven't used it yet, but it's next on my list of things to try:D a bit expensive, but will work way better than mats for absorbing the road noise. your doors are the priority areas to use that stuff.

check this thread out:
http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb230/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41079

Bones526 said:
What kind of mat did you use on your car wake?

fawk, i can't remember all that i've tried:D cascade, fatmat, dynamat original, dynamat extreme, b-quiet, some other one, and rammat. i used mostly rammat, 60 sq ft or something like that. did my roof twice with it, and my floor once. got dynamat extreme on my trunk lid. the other various on my doors and other spots.

Well, no matter what, i'll wait untill i've installed my subs before i decide what to do. If i'm lucky i won't need to spend any extra money on sound dampening, and even if i do have to get some, i'll have a better idea of where i need it after the subs are in.

Bones526 said:
Well, no matter what, i'll wait untill i've installed my subs before i decide what to do. If i'm lucky i won't need to spend any extra money on sound dampening, and even if i do have to get some, i'll have a better idea of where i need it after the subs are in.

yup:D after seeing my quarter panel flex and the paint split, i realized sound dampening wasn't going to help that:(

Back