Soon to be Mazda5 owner checking in

ErikO

:
2012 Mazda5 GT
Hey everyone,

I just joined a week or so ago, and have been lurking since. Thought I'd introduce myself. My gf and I are going in to the local dealer (Dave Wood Mazda in Newmarket, Ontario) to wheel and deal for a 2012 Mazda5 GT on Wednesday. We have thought long and hard about our next vehicle and considered many options. The M5 seems to be the best combination of versatility, style and efficiency. Since we plan on having a family in the near future (getting married in September), it will hopefully grow with us.

i come from a Subaru background, being involved in the Canadian rally scene for my whole life. My only family experience with Mazda thus far was my dad's 1980 GLC he bought brand new and carted me around in when I was a baby. He also used it to win a Provincial Autocross championship!

Anyways, I'll keep this thread updated on our dealings, and hopefully put up some pictures of our new 5 when we get it!

(tl:dr Buying a new Mazda5 GT this week, dad had a sweet GLC back in the day.)

I love my past Subie. If I could have gotten by w/a 5-seater, I would have one now. That said, and knowing I need 6+ seats, I am glad I took the 5 over a Tribeca, even if the Tribeca is one of the smaller and more maneuverable 7-seat SUVs out there.

We considered a second hand Tribeca, but the complexity and unique design mean parts are very expensive. I still like Subarus and may get a WRX to replace our other vehicle (Civic coupe) when the time comes.

Wheeling and dealing tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Nice. You'll love it. If you fold the back seats down you can haul two kids around with a washing machine, tent, pots and pans, ..... You get the message. The 2.5L and the 2.3L in the older ones are very reliable engines. Just change the ATX fluid regularly to max out its life.

So we bought our Mazda5 yesterday!

got a GT in Aluminum Metallic. Managed to get a bit of a deal on the car, along with a deal on the 3M clear bra, all season floor mats and free wheel locks.

We will be taking delivery next week. I'll start a new thread with pics when we get it!

got a GT in Aluminum Metallic. Managed to get a bit of a deal on the car, along with a deal on the 3M clear bra, all season floor mats and free wheel locks.

We will be taking delivery next week. I'll start a new thread with pics when we get it!

Would it be alright to inquire the deal you got? I'm in the process of buying a 2010 GT with 8K on it and wanted to know how much more to get in a 2012.

Congrats on the purchase!

i come from a Subaru background, being involved in the Canadian rally scene for my whole life.
Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you have a fun driving background. Would like to see some pics of what you drove in the rallys and your tire selection.

Congrats ErikO!!

Thanks dude!

Would it be alright to inquire the deal you got? I'm in the process of buying a 2010 GT with 8K on it and wanted to know how much more to get in a 2012. Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks! Here's the breakdown of the discounts I got: $750 off the price, 3M & mats & wheel locks for $400, $300 off the extended warranty (6 years 160k), and $500 for the grad discount. I think I could have bargained for more off the car, but this was our first time buying something like this, so I guess we started too low...

Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you have a fun driving background. Would like to see some pics of what you drove in the rallys and your tire selection.

Thanks! Sadly, i have never raced in a rally proper myself. I have done some rallycross, autocross and ice racing though! I grew up around rallying (my parents met at a rally!), and my brother is a two time Canadian rally champion with the factory Subaru Canada team. I have also crewed for a few rally teams (went to X Games in 2007) and run one on my own for a season. Here are some pics below of the cars I've been involved with:

X Games

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flatovercrest/1071976642/

Team I ran in 2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/maciej.janiak/BlackBearRally2007#5078720195807868146

My Brother's rally greatness

http://www.flagworld.com/photos/d/359499-2/CRC+-+Pat+Richard+-+Rocky+Mountain+Rally1.jpg

Last edited:
After around 1000kms so far, the car has been great. It has carried my bike to the trails, my family to dinner a few times, and a load of presents from my girlfriend and I's wedding shower. Fun, fast and spacious! Needs tints pretty bad, as it's a bit of a fishbowl.

No complaints so far, except for a wonky driver's side front window switch which will be taken care of at the first maintenance visit.

Pics to come soon!

Congrats from another Stouffvillian/Stouffvillite! Can't wait to see the pics.

We too are thinking about getting the 2012 Mazda5 as our next family vehicle to replace our Civic (need more room, and sedans suck!). We are also considering some other vehicles as well..CRV, Forester, Venza (top end of our budget). We have two kids, a 2.5 yr old and a newborn, so that added space and versatility of these vehicles will definitely come in handy.

Congrats from another Stouffvillian/Stouffvillite! Can't wait to see the pics.

We too are thinking about getting the 2012 Mazda5 as our next family vehicle to replace our Civic (need more room, and sedans suck!). We are also considering some other vehicles as well..CRV, Forester, Venza (top end of our budget). We have two kids, a 2.5 yr old and a newborn, so that added space and versatility of these vehicles will definitely come in handy.

Thanks for the kind words!

I never got pics of the box in Ottawa, as it was sleeping in the underground garage all weekend, but I plan on cleaning it up for the big Mazda meet nearby next weekend. I'll take pics for sure then.

If you feel like coming by my place to have a look at my 5, feel free to. Just shoot me a PM and we can set something up. We plan on starting a family in the near future, so that's why we went with the 5. I considered all of the same cars as you (used to have a Forester), and nothing could come close to the 5 for features, space and economy.

Cheers!

Would be great to see the pics. Thanks for the offer to look at your 5... I've had a chance to look at them at the dealer, so I'm pretty well up to speed on them and what they offer, but since I'm typing :), any chance you could measure the dimensions of you 5's cargo area for my thread here?

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123802168-Cargo-area-dimensions

Mainly just want the width and depth at the tightest points. Trying to see what I would be able to fit inside with the 3rd row down. :)

Thanks.

Make sure to buy your MAZDA5 a set of winter tires. Its a beautiful car and anything that can minimize fender benders is worth the money.

Video below somewhat illustrates the issue. The car's ABS and brakeforce distribution thingies will enable the car to go straight, but the
winter tires takes care of grabbing to whatever remaining friction the icy road can offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70uJIMNRuk

Oh man, congrats. That sounds like me, after a test drive, I just had to get one. Happy M5'ing, you'll love the car, and all it can do!

@ dieseldriver Thanks!

@skyhawk I actually picked up my new snow tires last week. I got the Semperit Speed Grip tires, which I have never tried before, but they got good reviews, so let's hope they keep me on the road!

Back