Some random questions

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
About how much does an FC weigh?

Does anyone have a dyno of a stock NA 13B? Is the torque curve basically flat?

How difficult would it be to build it to ~200hp NA and how reliable could it be?

peepsalot said:
About how much does an FC weigh?
Standard transmission: 2700 lbs.
Turbo: 2850 lbs.
peepsalot said:
Does anyone have a dyno of a stock NA 13B? Is the torque curve basically flat?
Couldn't find a dyno, but FWIW (1987) :
NA: 146 hp @ 6.5k
135 ft/lbs @ 3.5k

13b....

Why not use the latest "Renesis" version of the N/A 13b?
Puts out about 225 at the crank, and 160 torque, no turbos required.
People are crashing RX-8s regularly, and no-one has worn one out yet, so they are relatively plentiful.
doc

Attachments

• dyno1.jpg
    dyno1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 693
doctorr said:
Why not use the latest "Renesis" version of the N/A 13b?
Puts out about 225 at the crank, and 160 torque, no turbos required.
People are crashing RX-8s regularly, and no-one has worn one out yet, so they are relatively plentiful.
doc

I don't know. 54 fwhp might be hard to get without going to forced induction, but it still might be easier and cheaper then to put in a Renesis. I suspect there would be subframe and mount modifications needed, as well matching the engine to transmission. Seems like someone would have already done it or at least tried it. Maybe they can weigh in?

You can build a 200rwhp n/a 13b with a streetport, s5 n/a rotors, some tuning, and other supporting mods like exhaust, intake, etc.

Using s renesis in an FC would be retarded. Custom mounts required, not even sure if it'd clear the hood, somehow install the stock PCM and harness OR go standalone and still have to control the manifolds (or get custom manifolds), drivetrain will have to be addressed, new exhaust, and so on and so forth. Engine alone would cost you 3k+ easily, let alone everything else I just listed. What would be the point in that for an engine that isn't even much more amazing? Especially compared to a properly built and ported 13b WITH supporting mods for LESS money.

i have an 86 fc, with a rebuilt s4 motor, non turbo, that has a very large street port, with s5 lower, middle, and upper intake manifolds, s4 modded tb. black magic e-fan. 680 secondary injectors, intake, rb header, rb presilencer, a modified rb high performance turbo cat-back. and some other s*** too. i daily drive this cuz i dont like my truck, and the truck is for sale. but i havnt had any problems

I have seen 3 SA (1st Gen RX7) with a Renesis swap. They used the renesis motor, 6spd trany and rear end, just made a custom driveshaft and mounts. They used an off the shelf rx8 intake and header and ran a custom header back exhaust. Ran a stand alone EMS in it and its pretty fast. The rest of the parts were all for the 1st gen (suspension, fuel system, cooling, ect)

You can get a renesis for 2500 from mazda, and about half that from a junk yard. If you want max power out of that motor NA, with the right parts and tuning your looking at around 240 crank, on pump gas.....not a huge amount, but in a 2600lb 1st gen, its pretty quick.

Back