Softer Sway Bar

N7turbo

2023 CX-5 2.5T
Some may install a stiffer rear sway bar to help balance the car (reduce understeer)...but you can also soften the front bar.

Count me interested. I just don't know where to begin.

I would not add a softer sway bar.

First step, assuming you do not have any worn suspension parts, would would be to modify the factory alignment (Using camber plates) to increase negative camber in the front axle.

1. tires
2. differential
3. stiffer struts and dampers
4. then, things like sway bars, bushings..

Sway bar upgrades work best with other aspects of your suspension already modified, such as stiffer springs and dampers.

Also, when it comes to spirited handling (These are heavy AWD crossovers, come on) The stock differential(s) would be a pain point. I can't speak for AWD, but for FWD models, changing the stock open differential to a LSD requires custom work splitting the transmission casing, but would be the single most effective mod you can make for handling.

Assuming you are a good driver, ie. know how/when to trail brake, how to turn in properly, when to apply throttle, such as after the apex, (in other words, you can get the vehicle to rotate properly around turns) , no matter what you do to the suspension and tires the stock differential(s) will be holding you back.

The CX-5 is no heavier than many popular sedans and sport coupes on the road today.

Dodge Charger/Challenger: 4,000+ lbs
Infiniti Q50 AWD: 4,000 lbs
Acura TLX AWD: 4,000 lbs
BMW M2: 3,800 lbs
Mazda CX-5 AWD Turbo: 3,800 lbs

The CX-5 is no heavier than many popular sedans and sport coupes on the road today.

Dodge Charger/Challenger: 4,000+ lbs
Infiniti Q50 AWD: 4,000 lbs
Acura TLX AWD: 4,000 lbs
BMW M2: 3,800 lbs
Mazda CX-5 AWD Turbo: 3,800 lbs

When it comes to raw handling, all of those vehicles are too heavy. Though the M2 defies it's ridiculous weight and still handles well, at this weight class, you'll also be looking at cruising stability in conjunction with handling prowess.

Plus, it's still a crossover.

That's not at all to say it's not a good handling car. It's got a short wheelbase, and it's still a Mazda after all. Assuming you don't driving this car with the intentions and expectations of handling like a small sports car, none of what I'm saying matters very much.

My point is, that while suspension upgrades (in the right order) and tires will help tremendously, the stock differential(s) are holding the vehicle back anyways.

With that being said, assuming you have good tires, sway bars and camber plates will certainly sharpen the handling considerably.

The most obvious issue you'll feel when driving these cars is understeer. Even if we did desire better from the differential, it's way outside the scope of doing simple mods. So, the video above explains the best bang for your buck to reduce understeer, which most cars are set up with today for safety reasons. I believe a softer front sway bar (or stiffer rear) will help the CX-5 feel more like a CX-50 in the turns by helping it to rotate easier, rather than pushing.

The most obvious issue you'll feel when driving these cars is understeer. Even if we did desire better from the differential, it's way outside the scope of doing simple mods. So, the video above explains the best bang for your buck to reduce understeer, which most cars are set up with today for safety reasons. I believe a softer front sway bar (or stiffer rear) will help the CX-5 feel more like a CX-50 in the turns by helping it to rotate easier, rather than pushing.

While modifying your suspension is a great way to improve handling and reduce understeer ,(Again, sway bars would typically be last on the list after things like dampers and struts, bushings and mounts) The alignment also plays a crucial role in reducing understeer. You can overhaul your entire suspension, but unless the alignment is adjusted correctly as per your desired handling, you'll still get understeer.

For what its worth, Mazda's are pretty well tuned from the factory for spirited driving. My Mazda 6 will eagerly rotate and even oversteer under certain cornering conditions. You would have to be either A. Not cornering optimally or B. Pushing the car way too hard to be getting understeer, assuming you're driving on the streets.

With that being said, your CX-5 is almost 600lb heavier, but I'm sure that if you were to tweak your expectations as well as your driving style just a little, you would get more enjoyment out of your vehicle.

In short, if you want to modify your suspension, you're best off doing it the right way by overhauling its major components, not just adding a thicker (Let alone softer!) sway bar. Don't forget the alignment.

With that being said, your CX-5 is almost 600lb heavier, but I'm sure that if you were to tweak your expectations as well as your driving style just a little, you would get more enjoyment out of your vehicle.
The CX-5 likely feels better in the turns than the 6 due to power going to the rear wheels combined with the torque vectoring they added. And the 50/50 weight distribution helps, too, compared with the 6's 60/40. But I'd need to drive both to be sure.

Also, watch the video. What you're saying is at direct odds with his experience.

The CX-5 likely feels better in the turns than the 6 due to power going to the rear wheels combined with the torque vectoring they added. And the 50/50 weight distribution helps, too, compared with the 6's 60/40. But I'd need to drive both to be sure.

Also, watch the video. What you're saying is at direct odds with his experience.

First off, 50/50 weight distribution is very impressive and sounds like great fun to drive!

The AWD system and the differential(s) (Including FWD models such as my "6") I'm sure are designed to be fun and sporty, within limits of stock, or mostly stock alignment, suspension and tires.

And, more than 500LB weight difference is big.

All in all, both vehicles handle well, but I'm suspecting that the lower and significantly lighter 6 would out maneuver the CX-5.

Again, this is subjective observations and irrelevant. I have never driven any CX-5 model. If you want to get better handling out of your car, a stiffer rear sway bar is a great place to start, but you'd want to seriously consider that your tires and alignment are up to par as well.

When you do turn to suspension, again, do some more research on modifying your suspension. Sway bars typically are (although of course don't have to be) last.

Back