So long mazdaspeeder

Welcome to the world of American Muscle. I'm loving it!
Put down 425whp/422wtq (American Racing Headers, 160 t-stat, Vararam ram-air intake, Custom ECS street/dyno tune)

vette_night.jpg

vette_wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for a couple bolt ons. They're about 400 crank normally correct? Did you get a baseline dyno before the mods?

That body zo6 was 405hp I believe. Then, of course, the c6 came around and base vettes were 400ish horse, then zo6 was 500ish, and the zr1 was 600ish

Still, the price is right on a c5 zo6. And it can still spank most cars on the road. And as long as its fast back, it still looks awesome

And if he's getting those numbers to the wheels, and say drivetrain loss is 15%, you're looking at about 100bhp over stock

And is the thermostat thing the old school way of tricking your car into thinking its colder than it is, therefore forcing it to keep giving more fuel? Etc, etc

Last edited:
Not bad for a couple bolt ons. They're about 400 crank normally correct? Did you get a baseline dyno before the mods?
Bah, want handling performance....buy a RX-8.

I didn't gain quite that much over stock as 08-newer Corvettes (LS3s) with NPP exhaust have 438hp at the crank, and put down around 370 to the wheels stock. I picked up a little over 50hp.

The 160 T-stat allows the car's coolant to run cooler (ie turns fans on earlier) which gives more timing and less of a performance hit once it would normally start heating up. I had planned to do a Paxton Novi Supercharger this year but fell short on the financial end. That yields about 600whp, remove the restrictor plate on the supercharge intake, and tune on meth and 700whp is possible. Problem is at that point traction will be a major issue- if not, and it does get traction at a launch (w/ slicks) the rear may grenade.

Overall a very fun car and believe it or not - my daily. I'm running winter tires on it now. :) Night and day difference from the MS3 in just about every department- from the way it handles, it's power delivery, and even fuel economy. Surprisingly enough I get better milage in the Vette (27mpg) though that could be because I don't flog it as much. When I do it draw a lot of attention with it's loud exhaust note, and with all of the power it can get squirly.

That said I still, eventually, want to get another MS3, keep the modding to a minimum and use that as my daily.

I didn't gain quite that much over stock as 08-newer Corvettes (LS3s) with NPP exhaust have 438hp at the crank, and put down around 370 to the wheels stock. I picked up a little over 50hp.

The 160 T-stat allows the car's coolant to run cooler (ie turns fans on earlier) which gives more timing and less of a performance hit once it would normally start heating up. I had planned to do a Paxton Novi Supercharger this year but fell short on the financial end. That yields about 600whp, remove the restrictor plate on the supercharge intake, and tune on meth and 700whp is possible. Problem is at that point traction will be a major issue- if not, and it does get traction at a launch (w/ slicks) the rear may grenade.

Overall a very fun car and believe it or not - my daily. I'm running winter tires on it now. :) Night and day difference from the MS3 in just about every department- from the way it handles, it's power delivery, and even fuel economy. Surprisingly enough I get better milage in the Vette (27mpg) though that could be because I don't flog it as much. When I do it draw a lot of attention with it's loud exhaust note, and with all of the power it can get squirly.

That said I still, eventually, want to get another MS3, keep the modding to a minimum and use that as my daily.

Thats what I use mine for. I have no intention of ever modding it. The power new cars put out is ludicrous. I'll just buy something faster stock when it gets to the point where family cars can blow my doors off.

@ Oaklandopen - I believe it is a C6 and that's not a Z06.. there's no vents for the rear brakes. I thought it was at first when I saw that badge on the side, but then noticed the rest of the car and the power he was putting down was too low for that generation.

@ Oaklandopen - I believe it is a C6 and that's not a Z06.. there's no vents for the rear brakes. I thought it was at first when I saw that badge on the side, but then noticed the rest of the car and the power he was putting down was too low for that generation.

oh man, you're right. that sideview totally threw me off. i should have noticed that the door handle was incorporated with the door line, unlike the c5 which was a standard "handle" in the middle of the door

fake badging ftl.....just kidding

Hey now... ;) The badging is "Z51" which it is. :)

...and yes it's a 2009 C6 Z51. Picked it up for $36k w/ 20k miles on it.

z51.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't you used to have a Crossfire SRT-6?

Yes- I'm known to move around a lot with cars. I traded the SRT6 in for an SRT4 (caliber) for more room- then the CSRT4 in for the Vette. The Vette has a huuuuge trunk believe it or not.

The guys on Inside line love their old C5 Z06 for the same reason. You can live with it on a daily basis. Sadly my wife hates Corvettes or I would have traded my Mustang in on one long ago. /thread hijacked

Last edited:
Yes- I'm known to move around a lot with cars. I traded the SRT6 in for an SRT4 (caliber) for more room- then the CSRT4 in for the Vette. The Vette has a huuuuge trunk believe it or not.

huuuuge trunk or not, it wasn't in the running for me. The VA state Po frowns on babies in the trunk.

Well that just looks like a new hands-free device. Phone rings, baby pushes the answer button, holds it up to your ear. Eureka, driving and talking on the phone with both hands on the wheel, fak bluetooth!

Back