So Long, CX-9ers

AnotherCX-9

:
23’ CX-9 Carbon
Hello everyone,

After 4 years of ownership and 124,000 miles on the 9, we decided to move onto something else. We traded in the 9 for a 2012 Nissan Quest.

The 9 has treated us nicely and we absolutely loved it. It's fairly reliable. We have been using Mobil 1 + M1 filters since 50k and it’s smooth like butter. Transmission oil has been replaced twice. Rotors were replaced by dealers at 30k due to warping. Power slots rotors were installed around 100k. Shocks were replaced with KYB shocks at 85k. We ditched the garbage Dueler tires at 30k and went with Toyo Proxes ST II. They lasted until 90k. Went with Yokohama Parada since. The big ticket items were shocks, drive shaft, and signs of transmission problem when shifting from 3-4 gear.

The drive on the 9 is definitely sportier and gripper due to its 20'' wheels and awd. The Quest on the other hand, it's roomier and but softer due to its suspension and smaller 18'' wheels. The Quest is definitely much more luxurious with ample of real leather around the door panels and seats (unlike the vinyl on the 9) :-\ There’s much more cargo spaces from its boxy shape. I have been in loved with the JDM style minivan since I first saw the Toyota Alphard /Nissan Elgrand/ Honda Stepwagon. The Quest is the closest minivan in the U.S. market.

I will still check back once in a while though. Happy motoring 9ers and good luck with all the services! (yippy)

By the way, I still have around 5 premium oil filters (3 Mobil 1 and 2 Bosch), 2 engine air filters (1 OEM and 1 FRAM), and 4 charcoal cabin filters. I bought these in bulk back then and I will sell them cheap!! PM me for details!

Last edited:
Hey Crystalwhitey, I am interested in your "supply" of filters. What do you want for the bunch? Send me an email with your details and good luck with your new mini-van!

What trans problems were you starting to have with your 9? when and what mileage did this start happening? is this the reason you traded it in? please let me know as i need to know what to look out for.

So long Crystalwhitey, it might be anytime for me to join you leaving the Mazda family. I am just very dissatisfy with Mazda's business practice and the sub-par dealer quality. At least you got a heck of mileage out of your CX-9 and enjoyed it.

I am just very dissatisfy with Mazda's business practice

Sounds like a story there. Care to share with us?
Which dealer disappointed you in Bay Area?

I love the OakTree in San Jose.

Having 1st sign of transmission problem at 124K is surprising. Modern sophisticated
auto-tranny does not last, especially so if you tow with it often.

My '01 Odyssey showed slow gear engagement at 78K.
(changed fluid every 15K according Honda schedule...)
I traded it in for CX9.

IMHO, Honda and Toyota are much worse than Mazda at corporate level.
I have owned both before and was also active in their owners' forums. I have heard
stories much worse than what I have here...

Last edited:
So ceric these japanese trans are not as good as they used to be? I own a windstar with over 100k and the tranny still shifts like when it was new. I also change the fluid out on the 9 regularly as well. If this is so what happened and how much mileage do i expect to get to with this tranny on the 9

So ceric these japanese trans are not as good as they used to be? I own a windstar with over 100k and the tranny still shifts like when it was new. I also change the fluid out on the 9 regularly as well. If this is so what happened and how much mileage do i expect to get to with this tranny on the 9

When it comes to transmission, I have heard stories from many brands, American, Japanese as well as European.
I have heard many of my friends experienced transmission failures
before 100K. It is not rare cases any more.

Only Hyundai is brave enough to offer 100K powertrain warranty.
It is a calculated risk to Hyundai, not that their reliability is definitely better.

Last edited:
When it comes to transmission, I have heard stories from many brands, American, Japanese as well as European.
I have heard many of my friends experienced transmission failures
before 100K. It is not rare cases any more.

Only Hyundai is brave enough to offer 100K powertrain warranty.
It is a calculated risk to Hyundai, not that their reliability is definitely better.

Agreed. It's the calculated risk for Hyundai but it's one of the reasons Hyundai/Kia is getting bigger share of the cake. I wonder in 5 years if Hyundai will decrease its factory warranty like VW and Mitsu(?) did.

My experience with Toyota is not quite good but with Lexus is a different story. Lexus corporate offers great customer service and served me really well and no need to mention the local Magnussan's Lexus offers wonderful service and involvement with it's customers. (thumb) I paid premium price for premium service and I am a happy customer.

No doubt. Lexus service is a text-book example now.
However, you do pay for the service you get.
Reliability-wise, I don't see any differences between Toyota and Lexus.
In fact, I know many Lexus owners go to Toyota for maintenance services.
To each one's own.

As for Hyundai's 100K powertrain warranty... you can buy one for Mazda for about $1500.
The true cost to Mazda is probably less than $1k. For a new brand with very bad reliability
reputation in the '90, that's a very good marketing move.

Back