So I wana put a subwoofer in the spare tire well

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
As the title says, I want to make the spare tire well into a subwoofer enclosure in my 02 protege.

There is a hump that the spare tire sits on, and the bolts are under the car. They're holding some metal dish up under it, and it looks like some hoses or wires are protected by it.

So i've tried to take two of the bolts off and they both broke off...

Is it safe for me to take that thing off? What's under it?
Any inputs appreciated :)

edit: it looks like its welded on in certain spots, maybe all around. I wish I knew what was under it, I'm thinking of cutting it out . . .

Last edited:
I was in same boat as you. When I took off that cover under the car I was like WTF is that. So I left it alone and going to use the spare tire well with false floor design I am fiberglassing for 1 Alpine type R 1222D and it only needs 1 cubic ft of airspace for sealed enclosure. I am sure even with the hump I can manage that amount of space. Either way if you get that thing out and figure out what it is let me know maybe there is a place to redirect it to. I am starting my build in two weeks. I am awaiting my door speakers in the mail then I will start everything.

Alright. I think as long as I find a way to remount the pan cover under the car, the hump on top just looks like it held the tire in place. I'm going to probably end up breaking the rest of the bolts tomorrow, then seeing if I can use a metal die grinder to unweld it. I'll let you know whats under it.

Without the huge hump, there would be about 1.57 cu ft in the tire well.
I'm planning on building a 4th order bandpass ported into the cabin. I'd like to reserve some trunk space, so thats why I'm looking into using the spare tire well.

Haven't done it yet, I had to bring a friend to a school function today. I'll probably break the rest of the bolts below it saturday.

I did a little search and this thread came up
http://mazdas247.com/vbb222/showthread.php?t=71295

Someone said
I can't say I've personalyl checked, but I have heared from many reputable sources that there's stuff inthere that you don't wanna mess with. Fortunately the whole thing is offcenter, so you could possibly fit a sub on the right side of the lump/centered in the trunk...

Any idea what could be under there?

and what are the rubber gasket things for in there?

I read on the forums that under the hump is a charcole canister for your fuel so it is for emmisions. you can relocate it but to where I have no clue. Like I said im just gonna glass around the hump and check my airspace after I have my mold made and build up from there if needed.

Emissions Stuff. Dont touch unless you are relocating and even then I dont know if its allowed.

emissions.jpg

yes, that is what a found under there.

a black box with hoses going to it.
I'm just going to grind off the spare tire supports and glass around the hump.

i'll be drawing up a sketch to see some possibilities for an enclosure, then i'll probably have it designed by pwk designs.

Back