Snow tires for Mazda 3?

snow tires for 2008 mazda3

I have NEVER driven a car that handled so poorly in the snow as my 2008 mazda3 hatchback. I have traction control but that just helps me from fishtailing on the road, does nothing for being stuck in a 4 inch snowdrift. Other than that I love the car. What kind of snow tires do people use for mazda3's ?

I got a set of Pacemark Snowtrakkers. Myself and 2 other buddies have been very happy with them. They have been great for "normal" winter driving in and around the city the last 3 years. If you venture outside the city or encounter a lot of ice, a premium brand may actually be worth it.

i have been using my cooper studded snows for 3 winters now and haven't had an issue... the oem tires do suck that bad in anything snow like... they put those on there to make people buy the car not to have them feel confident in wintry conditions...

and to address a point earlier your civic probably had different all season tires as well as narrower all season tires the narrower tire cuts through the snow better but isn't that great when it comes to handling... mazda's have wider tires then most entry level cars as well as bad all seasons.

I'm rocking Pro 5 rims (16's) with 205-55-16 Semperit Speed Grips.

Happy with them so far.

Winter boots are a must for our cars if you live in the snowbelt.

your next purchase you should change it up to 195 i also rock p5 rims with the same tire size and those do bulge a bit and in winter the narrower the better you cut through the frozen stuff.

Bringing this back on topic, does anyone have a good suggestion for All-Season tires, stock 17", that perform decently in the snow? I don't want to buy new rims and would rather not have to have the tires mounted for each change of the season. I have heard that the Kumho Ecsta's are pretty good and rather cost-effective...

If I were you, and only wanted to run one set of tires year round, and you drive in snow, about the ONLY tire I would consider is Nokian WRG2 or WR. Both of these are about the only all-season tire that are rated for winter use.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.02&name=Nokian+WRG2

They actually carry the:

snow_rating.gif

Winter tire designation of a true acceptable winter tire.

They even make it in a run flat version if you want to ditch your spare tire.....

Last edited:
Bringing this back on topic, does anyone have a good suggestion for All-Season tires, stock 17", that perform decently in the snow? I don't want to buy new rims and would rather not have to have the tires mounted for each change of the season. I have heard that the Kumho Ecsta's are pretty good and rather cost-effective...

Where do you live?

Had a set of the Kumho Ecsta ASX's on our previous 3, and they were superior in every way to the factory Goodyear Eagle RS-A's that are on our current 3. Better handling, quieter, cheaper (about half the cost!) and not only did they handle wet better (the RS-A's don't seem to like anything that isn't both warm and dry), they handled light snow (0-3 inches) better.

If I were you, and only wanted to run one set of tires year round, and you drive in snow, about the ONLY tire I would consider is Nokian WRG2 or WR. Both of these are about the only all-season tire that are rated for winter use.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.02&name=Nokian+WRG2

They actually carry the:

snow_rating.gif

Winter tire designation of a true acceptable winter tire.

They even make it in a run flat version if you want to ditch your spare tire.....

I heavily considered these, and they seem like the holy grail of all-season tires. I'm sure they'd handle snow better than the ASX's did, which, while capable, were by no means as good as full-on snow tires.

What I ended up doing was getting a set of 16" steelies w/ Goodyear Eagle UltraGrip GW3's from Tirerack.com because I could get the dealer price via the friend-of-a-friend network. I'm really pleased with how they handled this past winter, although I've noted they have a distinct tendency to pick up pea gravel. When I get some free time (yeah, like that's ever gonna happen!) maybe I'll take a metal shim or a street sweeper bristle to the tread and clean it out.

Where do you live?

Along with driving style, this is really the most important question to answer. If you get snow most of the year or you otherwise drive in snow a lot, then I'd say the Nokian's are probably the way to go. But if it's less than half the year, I'd go with a separate winter set, especially if you're not due to replace the original set any time soon.

P.S. I've noted that Mazda has chosen a different OEM tire for the 2010 3: Yokohama Avid S34's, same size (205/50R17). No idea how they handle/rate. I'll post something specific somewhere if I ever get the chance to whale on 'em.. ;)

Where do you live?

Syracuse, NY area... we tend to get lake-effect snow and also have decent plows, so I usually only have to contend with a couple of inches of snow at most. I would also prefer to purchase from someplace that takes PayPal if at all possible. I am looking at two eBay auctions, one for Kumho Ecsta ASX KU21 tires, and the other for Kumho Ecsta LX Tires. No one seems to sell the Nokian WRG2's that were mentioned earlier. According to Kumho's website, the LX Platinums have better ratings across the board: http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id=6e4e0466-b6b3-42a3-a047-58f1418be802&cat=24

Last edited:
Just a quick update (not that you will necessarily care) but I went ahead and purchased the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum's as they were rated better in adverse conditions than the ASX's. I also asked the seller what the difference was between the two types, and here is his response:

The are better in wet and snow than the ASX, but lack some of the "at the limit" handling of the ASX.

I like the Firestone Winterforce's. TireRack has them for around $77/each + another $57 for hubcentric steelies.

I have 205/60/16 Dunlop Wintersports M3s on some 16x7 steel wheels. The tires are fantastic and relatively inexpensive. I would get something smaller though, like a 16x6.5 and a 55-series tire as my setup came from an MS3 and I rub in the rear during certain situations.

im usng 16x7 steelies with 205/55/16 Dunlop Wintersport 3D and I couldnt be happier, whole combo cost me around 650 balanced and installed. from tirerack last year

Snow tires / rims 2008 Mazda 3

Newbie here so please be patient....from Ottawa Canada and we just bought a 2008 GT-Lux sedan with the 17" tires.....from a previous thread it appears the size I can get away with for winter rims/tires is P205/55R16 H rated......which souns reasonable.....my question is how far can I sway from this spec ....i.e. can I go to a 225 or 60 vs the 55????

ok, r u planning on buying steelies or using ur stock wheels ? biggest you can go on stock 6.5" width wheel is 215/50/17 or 215/55/16...

ok, r u planning on buying steelies or using ur stock wheels ? biggest you can go on stock 6.5" width wheel is 215/50/17 or 215/55/16...

Thanks for the quick response.....I'm going with the steelies because of all the salt we use up here.......I'm dropping to a 16".......

Last edited:
yea 16" steelies is a great choice, there is a lot of them on sale on forums/craigslist for cheap.

Newbie here so please be patient....from Ottawa Canada and we just bought a 2008 GT-Lux sedan with the 17" tires.....from a previous thread it appears the size I can get away with for winter rims/tires is P205/55R16 H rated......which souns reasonable.....my question is how far can I sway from this spec ....i.e. can I go to a 225 or 60 vs the 55????

www.tiresizecalculator.info will tell you what impact the size difference between a given set of tires would have on odometer and speedometer readings.

Excellent advice, lucaspl88. :)

One other bit of info you'll need if you buy used steelies is the offset of the wheel, which can be no more than 55mm and no less than 50mm (stock is 52.5mm :confused:(crazy)(uhm)(screwy)).

Last edited:
lol offset as long as ur between 45-52 ur fine, im running +42 on my wheels now, and no rubbing issues... with 225/45/17 tires on 17x7 wheel

I stand corrected.. Different rim widths need different offsets to maintain the same center position relative to the mounting surface.

Back