Smart Key in Cup Holder doesn't work

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Been using the wife's new CX-7 for a few quick trips and have noticed that the smart key does NOT work when I put the key in the cup holder in the center console! Is the cup holder a faraday cage or made of lead?

Once I lift the key foble out of the cup and inch or so, the car will start (I can turn the start knob on the steering column. I tried this with both keys to see If it was a frequency issue or battery issue. It does not appear to be the case.

Most times with the key thrown in their by itself I cannot turn the start Knob. In fact, if I open or shut the doors, with the key in the cup holder, the car starts beeping as if it think's I have walked outside with the key. The car doesn't receive the RF signal.

Anyone else having this problem? This does not happen on my CX-9.

I dunno - but I found-out I cannot have my work key-card in the same pocket as my wallet (where my smart key stays 24/7). Somehow, the work card cancels-out the car's key. I believe they are both passive devices that await a signal from a host transmitter, but having them too-close to each other... I cannot use my car key to enter or start the vehicle - so I have to leave my work key-card out of my wallet and keep it in a different pocket.

yeah... I know... it's a little off-topic.

Do you currently leave your phone in the cup holder? I Have an Samsung Omnia and if they are remotely close they smart key will not work. It will not work well if it is put next to a credit card also.

I have no problems with the smart card in the cup holder, but the previous poster had a good point. If you have your card near your phone, it will not work. I always have to keep my phone and smart card in different pockets.

I have no problems with the smart card in the cup holder, but the previous poster had a good point. If you have your card near your phone, it will not work. I always have to keep my phone and smart card in different pockets.

Nowhere near my phone. My phone wasn't even in the car! I just threw the smart card in the cup. I can repeat it very easily, every time.

Today I got in and the key was in my pocket. When i started the car and started to drive away, the car started beeping and the key icon was flashing as if I left the key outside the car somewhere. Moved it around in my pocket, shut off the car, restarted and was good to go. (I am only 6 ft 170lbs so my "person" could not have been blocking the signal.)

Does anyone know where the internal key sensor is located? I know each front door has a sensor, the trunk, and there must be one somewhere in the dash. I am now starting to wonder if there is a problem with that sensor or maybe even cut when they put in the remote engine starter....

Anyone have the service manual?

Back