Sloshing noise near glove compartment?

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
I have a 2014 CX9 with 50,000 miles. A couple months ago it started making a sloshing sound near the glove compartment on turns. We took everything out of the car, but it didn't help.
The corner repair shop said a hose that drained the AC was clogged. They fixed it and all was fine for 2 months.
Now it is back.

Are they right about the problem? Why then did it reoccur so quickly after not happening for years?
If not, what else might it be?
Thanks.

you have a clogged drain,

you need to unclog it asap, otherwise your passenger side carpet will start getting wet and mold/mildew will set in

see videos below how to unclog the drain, the drain hole is underneath near the driver side seat by the heat shield,

you need to bend the heat shield to see it. You can either unclog it by hitting it with compressed air or using a wet vac.

be prepared for a gallon of water to come dripping out of the drain hole after you unclog it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtnmYxU4ffw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75xqS2wqUDw

Last edited:
you have a clogged drain,

you need to unclog it asap, otherwise your passenger side carpet will start getting wet and mold/mildew will set in

see videos below how to unclog the drain, the drain hole is underneath near the driver side seat by the heat shield,

you need to bend the heat shield to see it. You can either unclog it by hitting it with compressed air or using a wet vac.

be prepared for a gallon of water to come dripping out of the drain hole after you unclog it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtnmYxU4ffw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75xqS2wqUDw

Is the clog from the factory, or does it develop over time? If I just blow it back in, will it just clog again?

Is the clog from the factory, or does it develop over time? If I just blow it back in, will it just clog again?

It develops over time especially during fall season, I think it must be the trees from my work parking lot and all the dried leaves and crap that gets into the vents at the windshield base.

It's a very common problem with the CX-9, if you search this forum, you'll see at least 5 different threads on the same subject.

It happens to me every 9 months or so, I've tried both methods and still gets clogged after 9 months. As long as it's not every other day, I'm ok with doing it every 9 months, just gotta live with it.

To get to the evaporator core, it is not an easy job and it is quite expensive $$$$$, so most members just try the compressed air spray can or vacuum method first.

If it gets clogged every other two days after draining out the water, then the last alternative is to start taking things apart to get to the stubborn clog.

If you're still under warranty, dealer will fix for free, but I bet they will use the compressed air method took less than a minute to fix, that's what they did the first time I actually saw what they did and a whole gallon of water came pouring out, second time they wanted to charge $75 out of warranty, I said forget it, I can do it myself.

Obviously, 9 month maintenance AC draining is not what most owners expect to do, but that's nothing compared to the transfer case gear oil maintenance on the CX-9 AWD, if you have an AWD, you should check the thread for transfer case gear oil maintenance on AWD 2007-2015 CX9's in the how to section of this forum.

Last edited:
Just to bump this older thread, my wife mentioned the sloshing behind the glove box and I know exactly what it was.
She mentioned last night that the stuff in her passenger footwell was wet(yeah, she's got a messy car) so I figured I should get it cleaned ASAP.

I found a pump-up garden sprayer in my garage and used that to blow into the drain tube.
At first, it was a decent trickle of water, so I thought I got it.
I decided to hit it again and holy moly did it start to flow. As mentioned, I bet over a gallon of water came out.
I didn't jack up the car at all, so it was a very tight squeeze, but I was able to do it.

Back