SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Why change so soon at 1200 mi? Why do you think that the Penzoil is better than the OEM Idemitsu 5w-30 that it came with?

Had the engine been brought up to operating temp before the sample was taken?
And I wouldn’t change the factory oil at 1,200 miles either like I used to many years ago. I changed my factory-fill a bit earlier than Mazda recommended maintenance schedule at 4,800 miles or 30% of oil life remaining on Flexible OCI.
The engine produces higher wear metals and fuel dilution during break in that are best removed for the longevity of the engine. The sample was from the oil stream as it was being drained for the change. The new oil is superior anyway so you aren't losing anything. All it amounts to is a little money and your time to make sure your engine runs well for years to come.

Thank you for the reports. Its good that we now have few more Turbo UOAs to compare.

l also changed mine at around 900 miles. Took whatever water Mazda put from the factory out as soon as possible. Viscosity and flashpoint temp were terrible even at that low miles. The oil was more similar to a lower visco one than a proper 5w30z
Plus I got most of the copper and silicone out.

Last edited:
The engine produces higher wear metals and fuel dilution during break in that are best removed for the longevity of the engine. The sample was from the oil stream as it was being drained for the change. The new oil is superior anyway so you aren't losing anything. All it amounts to is a little money and your time to make sure your engine runs well for years to come.
except the oil analysis doesn't show any unusually high wear metals, even at such a low mileage change. any truly harmful metals would be caught in the filter anyway

On the turbo its mostly extra copper.
The non-turbo its Iron and copper.
Silicone for both from the factory sealant/gaskets. The turbo engine is very fuel rich and dilution is a problem for those that drive in the city and short distances. More frequent oil changes help if one cannot drive more long distances and highway.

You are right its not big of a deal and not needed to change that early. Its just some of us sleep
better at night :)

except the oil analysis doesn't show any unusually high wear metals, even at such a low mileage change. any truly harmful metals would be caught in the filter anyway
On the turbo its mostly extra copper.
The non-turbo its Iron and copper.
Silicone for both from the factory sealant/gaskets.

You are right its not big of a deal and not needed to change that early. Its just some of us sleep
better at night :)
You're right, I do sleep better knowing I got all the silicon out, the copper from the EGR cooler or wherever it came from, got a clean filter, and restored the proper viscosity oil to the engine. :)

Like @dunhillmc said, any truly harmful metals would be caught in the filter anyway. Comparing to @ch3no2’s UOA which doesn’t show any significant fuel dilution issue on his new 2.5T, your engine could have some fuel dilution issues.

We have two sides of arguments.

Now we have plenty of UOAs to prove the factory-filled oil have no problem to pass 5K miles. For those who want to keep the engine oil and filter longer by following either Flexible or Fixed maintenance schedule listed in CX-5 owners manual, they should have no worries of doing it after they saw those UOA reports.

If you want to change your oil at 1K or 3K miles, yeah its your choice. But I have a couple of concerns on this (not just waste money) and that’s the reason why I now prefer changing the oil following the Flexible OCI.

Firstly, Mazda uses high-moly factory break-in oil (on the 2.5L NA) with the purpose like Honda does. Honda specifically stated in its owner’s manual on break-in period that don't change the factory oil early. Mazda says nothing on this but it doesn’t say you need to change first oil early either. Use Flexible OCI as the guideline and change the oil accordingly would be my choice. This means the first oil change is like the rest, 5K~7.5K miles or 12 months whenever the Oil change due message is displayed. And I choose a bit earlier on the first oil change (30% oil life left) with the same Mazda Moly oil. Changing the factory oil too early may just throw away the factory “break-in” oil designed for the purpose.

8BA65A4F-7F7C-4748-9B0F-2C17CC479ADC.jpeg

Secondly, frequent oil change generates more waste which is not good for environment. We’d think we have used oil recycling system which should protect the environment. But the fact is in the US high percentage of used oil is burned during the recycling process, which caused air pollution issues. In Europe and most other areas Mazda and all other car manufactures specify much longer OCI such as 20,000 km / 12,427 miles or 12 months is to reduce the waste and pollution for environmental protection in addition to reduce maintenance cost for owners.

Used Motor Oil Recycling
Oil is a non-renewable and dwindling global resource, one that most of us depend on every day. Under state law, used oil is classified as a hazardous waste and must either be recycled or disposed or properly.

Currently, more than half of the used oil collected in California is shipped out of state or offshore to be burned as fuel, resulting in toxic air pollution (such as phosphates, sulfur, and heavy metals including zinc, cadmium, copper, lead and benzene) and CO2 being released into the atmosphere. California's strict air emissions standards do not allow the burning of used oil.

l also changed mine at around 900 miles. Took whatever water Mazda put from the factory out as soon as possible. Viscosity and flashpoint temp were terrible even at that low miles. The oil was more similar to a lower visco one than a proper 5w30z
Plus I got most of the copper and silicone out.
Low viscosity factory oil in your 2.5T could be the “break-in” oil Mazda designed to put in for the new engines. You wouldn’t think Mazda would put in “bad oil” in its new engines to ruin the engine?

And Toyota has been using 0W-16 oil with 10,000-mile OCI and we haven’t heard too many oil related engine failures, have we? ;)

And Toyota has been using 0W-16 oil with 10,000-mile OCI and we haven’t heard too many oil related engine failures, have we? ;)

We all know of dealers who recommend their own OCIs to maximize profits. Toyota is no different. Further, many brand-loyal Toyota owners are used to their old OCIs that called for more frequent oil changes at 3k or 5k mi intervals. Not everyone sticks to a 10k mi OCI, and not everyone sticks with 0W-16. Some owners run 0W-20 or 0W-30 instead.

Also, just like any other manufacturer, if you go searching for a problem, you'll find one if you dig deep enough. Nobody's perfect.

Low viscosity factory oil in your 2.5T could be the “break-in” oil Mazda designed to put in for the new engines. You wouldn’t think Mazda would put in “bad oil” in its new engines to ruin the engine?

Nobody knows what oil is used from Factory.
New car wont break from changing it at even 10.000 miles. Thats why I did the UOA and it shows to me thet the oil is not as good.
Oil and tires are topics which have various opinions by different people. There isnt only 1 right way. All ways are ok.

"Frequent, short trips during extreme Canadian winters can lead to condensation and cause sludge to form in engine oil. Because of this, it’s important to schedule your appointment for Essential Factory-Required Maintenance, including an oil change, every 4 months or 8,000 KM"

We all know of dealers who recommend their own OCIs to maximize profits. Toyota is no different. Further, many brand-loyal Toyota owners are used to their old OCIs that called for more frequent oil changes at 3k or 5k mi intervals. Not everyone sticks to a 10k mi OCI, and not everyone sticks with 0W-16. Some owners run 0W-20 or 0W-30 instead.

Also, just like any other manufacturer, if you go searching for a problem, you'll find one if you dig deep enough. Nobody's perfect.

This isn’t my personal experience by owning a Toyota Yaris iA and a Toyota Corolla Hatchback my daughter owns. Toyota has free 2-year maintenance program for every new car. The dealer won’t change the oil for you unless the car has reached 10,000 miles (mileage) or 12 months (time). In fact, my friend went in for the free oil change at 7.500 miles but only got turned away and had to wait for until 10,000 miles.

Yes some may want to change the oil early on their Toyota’s, but most will follow Toyota recommended OCI with super thin 0W-16 oil.

Firstly, Mazda uses high-moly factory break-in oil (on the 2.5L NA) with the purpose like Honda does. Honda specifically stated in its owner’s manual on break-in period that don't change the factory oil early. Mazda says nothing on this but it doesn’t say you need to change first oil early either.
Mazda did not use any special high moly oil in my engine. See my OA above. They used one that has higher calcium and lower viscosity--the opposite of what's best for my engine.
Use Flexible OCI as the guideline and change the oil accordingly would be my choice. This means the first oil change is like the rest, 5K~7.5K miles or 12 months
No. There is no way I am running the factory oil with this UOA in this car for 5k miles. It's supposed to use 5W-30. The factory oil was getting close to 0W-20 at only 1200 miles. And very likely with a lower flashpoint too. I put in a better oil--clean oil--and that gives me peace of mind.
Low viscosity factory oil in your 2.5T could be the “break-in” oil Mazda designed to put in for the new engines.
We have no evidence that there is "break-in oil" from Mazda.
Nobody knows what oil is used from Factory.
From all of the research I've done, it's Idemitsu Synthetic.

Last edited:
This isn’t my personal experience by owning a Toyota Yaris iA and a Toyota Corolla Hatchback my daughter owns. Toyota has free 2-year maintenance program for every new car. The dealer won’t change the oil for you unless the car has reached 10,000 miles (mileage) or 12 months (time). In fact, my friend went in for the free oil change at 7.500 miles but only got turned away and had to wait for until 10,000 miles.

Yes some may want to change the oil early on their Toyota’s, but most will follow Toyota recommended OCI with super thin 0W-16 oil.

By the way, these cars come with thinner oils for better fuel economy test results, not because it's best for your engine.

Mazda did not use any special high moly oil in my engine. See my OA above. They used one that has higher calcium and lower viscosity--the opposite of what's best for my engine.

No. There is no way I am running the factory oil with this UOA in this car for 5k miles. It's supposed to use 5W-30. The factory oil was getting close to 0W-20 at only 1200 miles. And very likely with a lower flashpoint too. I put in a better oil--clean oil--and that gives me peace of mind.

From all of the research I've done, it's Idemitsu Synthetic.
amen.

If this guy is correct, millions of Toyota owners are screwed!
Oh and multi-million car owners in Europe and Asia are screwed too.
No one ever said you're "screwed" if you don't do an early 1st oil change. Please don't blow this out of proportion. This is for people who really care about doing what's best for their engine and going the extra mile.

Yes, I know and I said it too. You seem to indicate Mazda put in bad oil in its new engines and hope for the best?

Based on several new 2.5T UOAs Mazda seems to put thinner oil to the new 2.5T from factory. It won’t surprise me as the new engine is tighter, and thinner oil is needed.

Comparing to @ch3no2‘s UOA I believe you’re getting the wrong conclusion here. Instead of questioning Mazda is using bad oil, you should be concerned why your new 2.5T is having severe fuel dilution issue.

Yes, but we have no evidence that Mazda doesn’t use “break-in” oil either. I’d consider high moly oil on the 2.5L NA is a special “break-in” oil like Honda does. Apparently Mazda intentionally uses thinner oil from factory on the 2.5T which I’d consider it’s a “break-in” oil too.

I believe you are the one drawing incorrect conclusions. Allow me to explain:
Comparing to @ch3no2‘s UOA I believe you’re getting the wrong conclusion here. Instead of questioning Mazda is using bad oil, you should be concerned why your new 2.5T is having severe fuel dilution issue.
To reiterate, our oil analyses used different methods. Oil Analyzers uses a more accurate method to measure fuel dilution than Blackstone, which is one of the reasons I chose them. Because of this, we can't directly compare the results.

We won't really know more until my next oil change. I expect the piston rings to be seated and for fuel dilution to be much lower. At any rate, this, along with putting in a superior oil that is clean, supports my reasons for the change.
Based on several new 2.5T UOAs Mazda seems to put thinner oil to the new 2.5T from factory. It won’t surprise me as the new engine is tighter, and thinner oil is needed.
Fuel economy test results. Many lubricating fluids are getting thinner for this same reason, including the transmission fluid which is new for 2024. Toyota ships their cars with 0W-8 now. It's not a "break-in oil", it's the oil they run the entire life of the car. You just can't buy it here in the states, so 0W-16 is used (and I'd recommend that anyway for better engine protection).

No one ever said you're "screwed" if you don't do an early 1st oil change. Please don't blow this out of proportion. This is for people who really care about doing what's best for their engine and going the extra mile.
I’m talking about the guy in the YouTube.

I believe you are the one drawing incorrect conclusions. Allow me to explain:

To reiterate, our oil analyses used different methods. Oil Analyzers uses a more accurate method to measure fuel dilution than Blackstone, which is one of the reasons I chose them. Because of this, we can't directly compare the results.

We won't really know more until my next oil change. I expect the piston rings to be seated and for fuel dilution to be much lower. At any rate, this, along with putting in a superior oil that is clean, supports my reasons for the change.

Fuel economy test results. Many lubricating fluids are getting thinner for this same reason, including the transmission fluid which is new for 2024. Toyota ships their cars with 0W-8 now. It's not a "break-in oil", it's the oil they run the entire life of the car. You just can't buy it here in the states, so 0W-16 is used (and I'd recommend that anyway for better engine protection).
The oil related engine problem is the least we should concern if you change the oil regularly. There’re too many things could happen with the complexity of the modern engine. For your 2.5T I’d worry about the cracked cylinder head issue which is a major design flaw even though Mazda claimed the cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket have been modified. It took about 4 years to expose this problem, I’d wait at least another 4 years to prove the fix is legit.

Go thinner is the trend and 0W-8 oil used by Toyota isn’t a joke. The same reason Mazda could use thinner oil on the 2.5T for tighter new engine. I’d leave this factory fill in there until the scheduled OCI. Or may be a bit earlier.

Yes, keep us posted on your next UOA and see.

Back