Size of turbo for the 3

illycut

I havent seen any posts stating the size turbos people have been testing. I think i heard something about an 877turbo or something. Can anyone report the sizes being used?

mostly a t3/t4 hybrid and one company is using a dinky t28... in my mind with are cars t3/t4 with a 50 trim inlet and a 40 inlet should get our car into the 400WHP range... I seen tibs do 485WHP at 15lbs in the V6 right now so that's what we should look for

dvtib said:
mostly a t3/t4 hybrid and one company is using a dinky t28... in my mind with are cars t3/t4 with a 50 trim inlet and a 40 inlet should get our car into the 400WHP range... I seen tibs do 485WHP at 15lbs in the V6 right now so that's what we should look for

LOL @ calling a T28 dinky. It's PLENTY big enough for serious, STREETABLE power.

my last car ran a PT76 so I'm not use to t28 pushing what I want... I know they make a good amount of power who don't wanna go crazy but I want to run 11's. T28 is not going to get me there...

dvtib said:
I want to run 11's.

ad_mcdonalds.jpg

jersey_emt said:

that's some funny stuff man... na fwd cars are hard as hell to push past 11's without slicks... that's all I'm saying I'm not trying to start a fight or anything...

It's a 4 banger. You don't want too big of a turbo or it's going to be laggy as all hell. GT28 and GT30R are pretty good size I would think

Gbourdon said:
It's a 4 banger. You don't want too big of a turbo or it's going to be laggy as all hell. GT28 and GT30R are pretty good size I would think

A GT28 is a very small turbo which should only be put on cars that are 2.1L or under... Garrett GT3071R would be a good staring off with since it would give you the 350whp that is a good number, problem is the cost of 1100 dollars. I would reathr get a t3/t4 turbo for 650 and still be able to spool as fast and get alittle higher numbers.

GT28R is the big ball bearing turbo.
Several folks are getting 300-325 out of these in 2 liter applications.

I am running wussy levels of boost (12) and still getting 260 on a built 1.8 with full boost at 3100rpm, so they spool real fast, no noticeable lag.

Could be run at lower boost levels (7-9)in a 3 and still get 300ish without much stress.

Obviously the T3/4 will give you much more bang, but I'd worry how much you might be stressing the drive train. Not a lot of parts out there for that yet...

badAzLava3 said:
GT28R is the big ball bearing turbo.
Several folks are getting 300-325 out of these in 2 liter applications.

I am running wussy levels of boost (12) and still getting 260 on a built 1.8 with full boost at 3100rpm, so they spool real fast, no noticeable lag.

Could be run at lower boost levels (7-9)in a 3 and still get 300ish without much stress.

Obviously the T3/4 will give you much more bang, but I'd worry how much you might be stressing the drive train. Not a lot of parts out there for that yet...

are you talking about your running 12psi on your 3?

We will have two different turbos. The street kit with an IHI VF22 for up to 330 whp and a Garrett GT30R for race aplications and up to 500 WHP.

Back