Sill Panel Removal

Bones526

:
1999 Mazda Protege
I need to remove the plastic sill panels on my door frames so i can run the power cable(left side) and rca cables(right side).

I dunno if i'm using the proper term for what these panels are, but it's basically the plastic cover over the bottom of the doorsills that you have to step over to get into the car.

When i pull up on these things to try to pop them off, i can get the curved part to come up with a popping noise like they are unclipping, but the flat part with little bumps on it feels like it is secured much tighter to the body. Does anyone know how these things are attached? If they are glued i don't want to be trying to rip them off, but if they are clipped, how hard do i need to be pulling, at what angle, and do i need to get under them with a prybar or something to lift them off?

im not sure about the 99s, but on my 03 protege they just pop off...dont think theyre glued whatsoever, i know they arent on mine...i just pulled, no particular way however. good luck.

well i'm no body-builder, but i have pulled panels out of my car before, and none ever stuck this much. it seriously feels like i'm going to break it. i guess i'll try again, but i don't want to crack these things, or break the clip tabs off.

I jsut pulled to, but I also have a 03. they prob are just clipped on. mine were on there pretty good. maybe use a flash light and just lightly pull up and look what you are dealing wiht. you have to be careful with the plastic stuff, but have to apply some pressure after you know which way to pull

yeah, i'm wondering if they can't be pulled straight up b/c of the way the clips are hooked onto the metal, but i can't really lift them up high enough to shine a flashlight under to see how they are attached. maybe i'm really close to popping them off, i just need to pull a touch harder, but they are seriously difficult to remove and i don't want to break anything.

if anyone with a 99 has had experience with this, let me know. cuz if i'm the only one with this problem, i guess i need to work out or something. :D

Just yank on it like ya got a pair. They're actualyl fairly sturdy plastic, and yes, it jsut takes alot of force. Be it good or not, they actually get a bit easier after you've had them off once. If taht sits uneasy with you, I'd get a screwdriver and pry from the outside-flat edge first. only real danger of is scratching the paint underneath with the screwdriver.

yea man just yank like you got a pair just like POSEUR said you'll get it i did it on my 2003 yesterday cuz the idiot who put my subs in ran the cable just plain stupidly so it made the panel stick out and i just pulled and it popped off i felt stupid cuz i fell back into my car but i didnt break anything

i tried popping them off earlier tonight, i pried a little with a screw driver and pulled hard and since i wasn't worried about breaking them any more, they came off after a little trying and since i was in the mood i ran my RCAs from the HU to the trunk along the right side of the car under the sill panelling. I'm really proud of myself b/c the wires are completely concealed throughout the car, and the panels went right back on without any trouble, and they don't stick out or anything like ur installer had done on your car blake, thats really stupid, i'm glad you fixed it.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, i guess i was just scared they were going to break, but they didn't, and now they come off easier.

Back