Side impact air bags

I was just wondering if we have side impact airbags in our cars. I've heard from a few places that P5s with ABS also have them installed, but the dealer didn't mention anything about those to me and I have ABS. Not to mention there does not seem to be anymention of them anywhere else in the car. Any ideas??:confused:

pro5man said:
The side airbags are part of the ABS package.

Not in Canada, the ABS were standard, but no side airbags were available.

Badvmc said:

Not in Canada, the ABS were standard, but no side airbags were available.

Damn... That's what I figured. Why on earth would they give us ABS over side impact airbags?? I'm sorry, but I hate ABS. If your too stupid to know how to pump your brakes, then you shouldn't be driving a car damn it!! ABS nearly got me into a few accidents last year, not save me from them!!! :mad:

Its not knowing how to pump your brakes its doing it fast enough. Anybody can pump there brakes. Nobody can pump them as fast as an ABS system can. ABS does not stop you faster! It just makes it possible for you to control your car and brake hard at the same time.

I understand the concept of ABS.... The problem I have with it, is that it's so damn sensitive. It goes off even in slow driving conditions. If you hit a bump while slowing down, thats enough to set it off. I have no problem with it coming on when I need it, it's when I don't that pisses me off. With my old civic, I knew were I was going to stop, wit this car, I never know...:rolleyes:

My baby got smashed...:(

Yea...I'm not too happy withhthe ABS, seems to go off way to easily, and I'm wondering if you compared a ABS and non-ABS car in emergency braking distances, which would do better.

The reason I say this is bc I got into a rear-ender last weekend. It was labor day, and I had to go to the mall to do some errands. I hate being around malls, esp on weekends & holidays, IQ's seem to drop about 20 pts ( and 20 more on a holiday.)

Needless to say, one guy cut off another guy in front of me and he had to slam on his brakes. I was in a second wave of traffic, going fairly slow several car lengths back, and had to slam on my brakes. I had nowhere to go, and the car stopped bout 1.5 ft too short, whack!...right into his bumper....:( :mad:

The ABS came on real fast, and my car just did not stop as fast as it seems it should have. The pavement was dry and clear btw. Granted, it would have been a little hair-raising either way, but I was back what I thought was a safe dist. I had been disappointed w/ the ABS before this mess, as it would come on even during moderate braking on clear hwy's, when the tires should be nowhere near locking. Maybe its not the ABS, and it is mostly my fault and lots of bad luck, but I am a little weary of the braking in my car. Now even more so...This sucks, over 10 yrs of driving and this is my first accident...

Fortunately no 1 was hurt, and the damage was fairly minor, but it will be at least 3 weeks before I get it back. Hood just crumpled, and air dam toasted, rad punctured, but no frame, susp, or engine damage. Held up well overall I would say though, just looks real ugly.

smithers_0990 said:
Its not knowing how to pump your brakes its doing it fast enough. Anybody can pump there brakes. Nobody can pump them as fast as an ABS system can. ABS does not stop you faster! It just makes it possible for you to control your car and brake hard at the same time.

Exactly... But sometimes you just need to stop fast, no need for controled steering. Just read the post above. I just don't see the benefit as it may be good in one instance yet total wrong in an other. All I know is last winter was scary for me with these damn brakes!!! Anybody know of a way to disable the ABS??

smithers_0990 said:

And keeps you from blackspotting your dunlops!

RyanBlueP5 said:

Exactly... But sometimes you just need to stop fast, no need for controled steering. Just read the post above. I just don't see the benefit as it may be good in one instance yet total wrong in an other. All I know is last winter was scary for me with these damn brakes!!! Anybody know of a way to disable the ABS??

I believe you can just pull the fuse. I know thats what the people in the WRX forum do

I too HATE ABS with a passion. ABS caused me to do about $1000 in damages to my wheels and suspension on my corrado. I was on ice and just eased on the brakes and BAM ABS came on and before I knew it i was sideways headed for the curb.

As for side airbags. Where are they. I have abs and I can see where the front airbags are but can't find the side airbags. Alot of cars have a little area that looks different and says SRS to contain the airbags.

Any input would help. Let us know what you find out about the fuse. Definetly would be interesting to do some testing. On sports cars I am completely against ABS but on like big trucks and such I will say it has saved me once or twice. Since our cars are pretty miatas with back seats I say NO ABS!!!!!!!!

The side air bags are contained in the front seats. If you look at the side of the seat at about shoulder level you will see a little rubber patch which says SRS.

When originally looking at cars I talked to one "car expert" about the side air bags, and he told me that the only good ones where the curtain-style airbags, as they deploy above the window to protect your head from smacking into it. These are usually only found on more expensive sedans. Ours are not this style unfortunatly. They amount to little more than an airplane pillow sized cushion that will only protect your elbows. Hmmm....well somethin's better than nothin I guess. Who knows if the guy is right.

What I'm most disappointed in is that i went out of my way to find a model w/ 5spd & ABS (due to scary winter roads in the hilly parts of Ny where I live) and paid an extra grand or so to get them, and they completely suck, and MAY contribute to a crash more than prevent it. (Note, I'm not trying to blame Mazda for my wreck, just complain about the less than satisfactory behavior of the ABS.)

Well at least i have a moonroof too...

On the sides of the driver and passenger seats you should see a little rubber square that says either "side impact" or "srs" on it. I believe this is where the bag fires from. Right behind the B pillar

short answer...no

Oh, about the ABS disable....I remember a discusion either here on clubprotege some time ago between some autox guys about ABS. One was asking if he kill it for autox by pulling the like the subys can, and another responded that you couldn't on our cars, but it could be done possibly by more complicated means by *I think* disconnecting an ABS sensor on one of the brakes, causing the whole system to turn off. I have no idea if this is true about the sensor, if it even exists, so don't go doing this at home kids.

Back