Should my wheels turn freely?

clicknext

:
2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4
When I have the car jacked up on 1 corner and I turn the front wheel hard, it stops almost immediately. Moves for less than a quarter turn by itself.

Is this normal? My gas mileage is relatively normal, maybe down 2 mpg from a couple years ago, but probably not significant. Brake pads and discs are 2 years old, looks like a good amount of meat left in them.

Asking because there is a squealing sound when I'm not braking, and I've not been able to find the cause so far.

That squealing sound is the squealer on the brake pad telling you it is low.
my wheel also has that play though.

That squealing sound is the squealer on the brake pad telling you it is low.
my wheel also has that play though.

Hmm that is weird. Looks like there's more than a quarter inch of pad left.

When you say your wheel also has that play, do you mean that it turns freely, or it barely turns? I was under the impression that it should turn relatively freely, like maybe a full revolution when you spin it hard. Mine, on the other hand, barely moves.

yeah disc brakes are like that, tho the rears on P5s tend to spin freely almost like a drum brake would (those funky rear calipers I guess) The caliper has no return springs like a drum so a little drag is probably normal.

Here's what I have done before to test front: Drive out a few blocks and come back in, careful to not use the brakes. Bring her to a stop using only the parking brake. Now you can jack it up and reveal what the drag is still like after driving that far, rather than the tightness you get from just braking. I'd say if you do this and note much drag, yeah you've got a problem (seized piston, float pins, etc.)

Always remember the drag you felt last time you worked on it and compare left to right too.

Fronts will not spin freely because the differential and axle shaft are also spinning plus there may be a little drag from the brake pads. The will not spin very far when released.

Although the calipers have no return springs the seals will provide some return. The seals will distort when brakes are applied and return when the brakes are released. In older calipers the seals can harden and not distort as much as a new seal. The old seals may cause more drag than those in a new caliper.

Clifton

Last edited:
Is a brake hot (real hot) after driving it? If all are about the same warm to maybe-hot then you are fine.

Nah, it's not super hot. Kind of hot, but not enough to burn my finger. I guess it sounds like I should be fine then. Heh, hard to test around my place because all the roads are hills.

Latest posts

Back