Should I buy a Test pipe? Need help

bigdaddy

Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed 3, True Red
so I was thinking the other day that I really am ready for a little more power. I dont want to spend a huge amount of money, and I also don't want to **** up my turbo. So i was thinking either test pipe, or exhaust manifold. I dont want to have to deal with a smoking or blown turbo as a result of either. What do you guys think. I was think the Corksport test pipe, or the tubular turbo manifold on protege garage. The other thing is, would a manifold do anything to my emissions...I dont think it would, but I just want to be positive. I know the TP would though..
thanks

I can't speak for the manifold, but I love my SU test pipe. A little more power and a little more sound goes a long way.

It would prolly fail, but you can put the stock one on when it is time to test. It is a super easy install.

well i just talked to a friend who has a friend that owns an exhaust shop and I think he could give me the pass even if my car fails

it hasnt made mine. There will be some more smoke than usual cuz the cat isn't eating all the bad stuff, but it shouldn't blow the seal.

speedaction test pipe on ebay for $140 or pay $170 on their website if you don't like ebay (speedaction dot net). identical to su's.

my turbo doesn't smoke and that 2nd cat is a monstrosity. my 2 cents.

speedaction test pipe on ebay for $140 or pay $170 on their website if you don't like ebay (speedaction dot net). identical to su's.

my turbo doesn't smoke and that 2nd cat is a monstrosity. my 2 cents.

do you have the stock DP? Just wondering, because I do and I really dont want to replace mine so that the speed action one will fit

My test/race pipe was my second and favorite mod. It livens up the exhaust and adds a nice bit of power. The install is simple and the part itself is inexpensive. I don't know how much more strict Cali is but I pass emissions here in NH with a test pipe.

do you have the stock DP? Just wondering, because I do and I really dont want to replace mine so that the speed action one will fit

yeah, stock dp. i know the real power gains are in the dp, but i don't want to mess w/ the 02 sensors until my warranty expires.

speed action tp is identical to su's and both have perfect fitment on stock dp / cbe. speed action had a 100% feedback rating on ebay when i bought. check buyer feedback and you'll see that the speed3 guys say it fits.

nothing against su (i'm a happy customer). just not paying $200 when it's available for $140.

as far as emissions, you still have one cat. you either pass the test w/ one or switch back and re-test w/ two.

I was going to be installing my SU test pipe after my next emissions inspections in a couple months.

But there still is another cat on the down pipe that will remain.

Has anybody in PA passed inspection with just the first cat with a test pipe?

I would like to install it now but would not want to switch it twice in the next 2 months.

what about emissions...I live in California so I'm just worried about that
No good in CA. any tampering with cats is illegal, period. I just got rid of my my catless DP/RP for many reasons, (it's a long story.) Never the less if you go this way (test pipe only) it's an easy swap to do...

Last edited:
do I have to do anything with the ECU, i.e. recalibrate it or anything because of the huge improvement in airflow?

Any issues with exhaust leaking? I carry my little boy in my back seat all the time and obviously I can't have any fumes in the car.

Back