Shortcomings of Touring trim?

sjg

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
I am about to replace a beloved '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon and it looks like the CX-9 will be the replacement. From the research and test drives I've done I'm leaning towards the Touring vs. the GT mostly because I don't want the 20" wheels (easier to damage, firmer/harsher ride, more expensive tires) and I'm happy to save the $$ required to upgrade to the GT. However, there are a couple GT items that I might miss and wanted to get a sense from others as to whether my concerns are legit or not.

Headlights: Edmunds.com had a Touring in its long term fleet and most of their observations were positive but there was a complaint about the strength of the headlights. Are the Touring's lights really that bad? Bad enough to be a safety issue? Are the GT's a big improvement?

Fog lights: Not available on the Touring. Has anyone installed them?

Side mirrors with turn indicators: I think this is another safety feature that is appearing on more and more cars. Why does Mazda limit it only to the highest trim level?

These are the only shortcomings of the Touring that seem to bother me. Are they legitimate concerns? Are there others?

I don't have a CX-9 yet (that will hopefully change by end of next week) and haven't driven a Touring at night. However, the mazda web site indicates that the Touring comes with halogen lights (sports does not, and GT comes with xenon). Halogen lights are generally pretty decent. Maybe a current owner can confirm?

As for fog lights, looks like there is a kit. Seems a bit expensive though.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123736024&highlight=fog+lights

Side mirrors with turn indicators IMO are more a fashion thing than safety. I can't image where a person or vehicle would have to be such that they will see only the side mirror indicators and not the regular indicators, which are placed in such a way that they are visible from both the front and side...

I plan to pick up a Touring by end of next week. It will be my wife's car, and she thinks things like navigation, moonroof and premium audio are pretty much a waste of money. Thats fine with me, we get to save the dough. Touring gives us the leather and power seats which I insisted on. The only other option I'll be adding is the rear view mirror with backup camera. I think with little kids around, you can never be too cautious.

I wanted the GT for sunroof, 20" tires, advanced key, BSM, blinkers in the mirrors, etc.

We've had our 09 9 for over six months and 15K miles. We are very pleased with this ride and don't think much can be improved upon. We have the Grand Touring package and the head lights, (adjustible up and down) are great. If your rear cargo area is heavy you can adjust the headlights down accordingly. The fog ligs don't really do much other than light up the lower and side view of the roadway ahead. We did wish that the NAV system allowed the pasenger to use it while underway. Our 06 BMW X5 did allow this and we miss that capability. This a a super comfortable ride for long trips. Our 5500 mile road trip was fantastic. Be sure you keep an eye on this forum for more useful data.

We finally settled on the Touring with AWD, Bose/Moonroof, Backup camera package and Roof Rails. I don't really feel like the car is "missing" anything other than all the blanks on the lower part of the dash for features our car doesn't include. Haven't had a chance to miss the fog lights yet (there probably will be a few times but no more than 5 or 6 days a year). I'm sure I'll get used to the blind spots and I don't know how effective BSM is but if it works, I'm a little sorry I don't have it. Lower cars seem to disappear in the rear corners of the CX-9.

I have a related question regarding Touring vs. GT. On the website it lists the following 'upgrades' when going from T to GT:

Touring trim features plus:
* 20" alloy bright finish wheels
* Smart Card with Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System
* Xenon auto on/off headlights
* Fog lights
* Side mirrors with turn indicator marker lights
* Chrome door handles
* Rain-sensing windshield wipers
* 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support and memory
* Electroluminescent gauges and blue indirect interior lighting
* Compass auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink

I recently purchased a 2009 GT but it doesn't have i) side mirror turn indicators (only the BSM) and ii) no compass in the rear view mirror.

Am I missing something or is the website wrong.

Just doublechecked and I do have side mirror turn signals - just never noticed it. But I definitely don't have a compass in my rear view mirror. (huh)

Like my "touring"

I have had a CX-9 "Touring" for over a year and a half and really like it. I preferred the black interior over the fake wood of the GT. The ride is quiet and comfortable. Mine came with the sunroof package which works well. For me it was a good compromise between what I want and need. The in-dash nav might have been nice but I can always buy a portable GPS.

The only problem is the floormats seem to be a magnet for every type of dirt and is harder to clean than other cars I have owned. That and the gas cap release lever is right under where my power seat control is and everytime I get gas I have to take off my watch or else I wind up moving my seat accidentally.

I have gotten many compliments on the looks and driving of the car.

Good luck!

I have had a CX-9 "Touring" for over a year and a half and really like it. I preferred the black interior over the fake wood of the GT. The ride is quiet and comfortable. Mine came with the sunroof package which works well. For me it was a good compromise between what I want and need. The in-dash nav might have been nice but I can always buy a portable GPS.

The only problem is the floormats seem to be a magnet for every type of dirt and is harder to clean than other cars I have owned. That and the gas cap release lever is right under where my power seat control is and everytime I get gas I have to take off my watch or else I wind up moving my seat accidentally.

I have gotten many compliments on the looks and driving of the car.

Good luck!

Try the all weather mats... for an alternative... We did...and they're awesome.

The 2010 Touring is the best version, I think. It's a nice upgrade from the Sport, without the less useful things like NAV (too inaccurate), Mirror turn signals (which are on the wrong side to be useful), and 20" Wheels (harsher ride), out of place blue accent lighting (ick).

What it adds is the two stage heated leather seats, 8 way power driver/4 way power passenger seat, moonroof, power liftgate, smart key.

You also now can get the 4.3" MFD with the 10 speaker Bose, which displays the back up camera image, and 7 device bluetooth phone/streaming audio.

Useful features on an already well equipped car.

I also prefer the Piano Black trim to the wood

Last edited:
We've had our 09 9 for over six months and 15K miles. We are very pleased with this ride and don't think much can be improved upon. We have the Grand Touring package and the head lights, (adjustible up and down) are great. If your rear cargo area is heavy you can adjust the headlights down accordingly. The fog ligs don't really do much other than light up the lower and side view of the roadway ahead. We did wish that the NAV system allowed the pasenger to use it while underway. Our 06 BMW X5 did allow this and we miss that capability. This a a super comfortable ride for long trips. Our 5500 mile road trip was fantastic. Be sure you keep an eye on this forum for more useful data.

There have been many of my friends/co-workers who own "luxury" vehicles and sat in my CX9 GT AWD (w/o Bose + Moonroof). What impress them the most is .....
drum roll, please.

BSM. for $200.

One guy even made the comment that his next vehicle must have one. Too bad, I think MB, BMW, Lexus, or even Infiniti do NOT have that.

I don't understand what BSM is for. With your mirrors properly adjusted, there are no blind spots. I can watch a car move from my rear view mirror to the side view mirror, at no point are vehicles in adjacent lanes not visible in at least one mirror.

Here is an article about how BSMs are fixing a problem that doesn't exist:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/20/do-costly-blind-spot-systems-actually-fix-a-problem-that-doesnt/

That article in turn links to a NYT article on how folks SHOULD adjust their mirrors:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/are-blind-spots-a-myth/

This page has a nice diagram of how it works:

http://www.easysurf.cc/mirror1.htm

I'd rather spend a minute adjusting my mirrors properly than spend the money on the GT trim level plus the additional cost of BSM.

Last edited:
To me, adjusting mirrors properly is a given.
BSM shines at dark rainy nights when you have a low sports car at your blind spots.
Often than not, I have run into vehicles with ONE headlight (or even some idiots who think headlights-on is optional at nights), which makes it even more difficult to see.
BSM helps you, not trying to replace the good old mirrors.

The newer BSM (on Ford) can help even in parking lot when you pull the vehicles out. Try that with big cargo van next to you.
Technology can help avoid accidents. Just don't totally rely on it.

BTW, "costly" is not what I would describe $200.

Last edited:
When we bought our GT, I thought BSM would be one of those novelties I paid for but don't really care for or would ever use. Surprisingly, I find it a very nice feature. It's a nice backup to safe driving practices. I like the added safety. I actually find myself wanting it on my other vehicle.

i recently realized how much i "depend" on BSM when i was driving my wife's Murano (which does NOT have BSM) and changed lanes with my compulsory blind spot scanning but still almost missed hitting a small motorcyclist who was in my blind spot. good thing i saw him at the last minute, but i was thinking to myself that my CX-9's BSM would have probably caught that one.

I am about to replace a beloved '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon and it looks like the CX-9 will be the replacement. From the research and test drives I've done I'm leaning towards the Touring vs. the GT mostly because I don't want the 20" wheels (easier to damage, firmer/harsher ride, more expensive tires) and I'm happy to save the $$ required to upgrade to the GT. However, there are a couple GT items that I might miss and wanted to get a sense from others as to whether my concerns are legit or not.

Headlights: Edmunds.com had a Touring in its long term fleet and most of their observations were positive but there was a complaint about the strength of the headlights. Are the Touring's lights really that bad? Bad enough to be a safety issue? Are the GT's a big improvement?

Fog lights: Not available on the Touring. Has anyone installed them?

Side mirrors with turn indicators: I think this is another safety feature that is appearing on more and more cars. Why does Mazda limit it only to the highest trim level?

These are the only shortcomings of the Touring that seem to bother me. Are they legitimate concerns? Are there others?

the 20" tires aren't more expensive. I thought that too until I had to buy some. In fact you will probably find that the 18" tires are more expensive on tirerack.com. Our Touring does not seem "harsh" at all. Maybe it is just the new GTs that are harsh with the 20s? Our Touring seems to have the tight handling, yet is soft enough to be enjoyable. Its all a matter of taste and driving style IMO.

I choose the Touring because the GT has too much ugly chromes, though the extra features are great but I don't think it's worth the extra $$$. BSM should have been standard on all.

Back