Short Shifter?

nautical2086

:
1999 Mazda Protege ES
I'm finally a little bit tired of my shifter, Its like a truck shifter, I love the smootheness of it, oh well. I'm looking to get a short shifter, which is the best out there? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something lower than the stock at a good price.

nautical2086 said:
I'm finally a little bit tired of my shifter, Its like a truck shifter, I love the smootheness of it, oh well. I'm looking to get a short shifter, which is the best out there? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something lower than the stock at a good price.
i REALLY REALLY love my kartboy.

but i love your new sig even more! priceless pic

brealmp3 said:
i am a big fan of my twm with greddy counter weight.
i should have added i also have the greddy counterweight on my kartboy (plus bushings btw). the greddy is a great addition! plus it also keeps your hands warm during the winter(only when car sits in sun for a while)!!!!

IMO get the B&M!

Comes with its own aluminium bushing that replaces the original POS plastic bushing!

there really isnt a definate price. some people sell the b&m ones really expensive some have them on clearance. i remember the cheapest i seen it for was like 90... but if i remember right theres someone tring to sell it on the forum for like 100 shipped brand new too. might try to look for that.

IMO, I wouldn't get the B&M. I've had it for a couple months and it get's really stiff when it gets hot, after ~45mins of driving...shorter time if I'm working the motor hard. There are a couple threads on this forum, other people have had the same issues. We might be a minority, but it doesn't speak well for the product.

Mine's coming out next month, being replaced with a TWM.

johnsharpe said:
IMO, I wouldn't get the B&M. I've had it for a couple months and it get's really stiff when it gets hot, after ~45mins of driving...shorter time if I'm working the motor hard. There are a couple threads on this forum, other people have had the same issues. We might be a minority, but it doesn't speak well for the product.

Mine's coming out next month, being replaced with a TWM.

That's because of the exhaust gases that are hot. I realized this after I put in my header. I plan to get header and exhaust wrap to minimize the heat, just gotta wait a little bit before I get the money to do so. I love my B&M because my parents didn't know about it until after I told them about it and it is much much shorter. It basically retains stock height without the stock sluggishness and truck feel.

I've only had the tightness issue once with the B&M in my car. And I drive alot in city traffic. I replaced the stock shifter because the factory plastic bushing was worn out, loose, and sqeaky. I love the B&M. Nice hieght, nice throw.

I just installed a kartboy ss this past weekend with a kartboy knob and bushings. I was pretty happy with it. It's kinda notchy but I think that's what is expected and the shifts are way faster and way shorter. I haven't had any issues with anything being stiff or like that. Installation was really easy too. I did bushings and the SS in well under an hour.

dnale said:
I just installed a kartboy ss this past weekend with a kartboy knob and bushings. I was pretty happy with it. It's kinda notchy but I think that's what is expected and the shifts are way faster and way shorter. I haven't had any issues with anything being stiff or like that. Installation was really easy too. I did bushings and the SS in well under an hour.

ya i got the kartboy too. with the knob, bushing, and shifter. compared to my stock mp3 one(which is shorter than other proteges) i felt a big difference at first. way shorter shifting... and a bit smoother. but it was harder to change into 3rd gear... changed my gear oil now im grindin in 3rd gear... really sucks. the shifter also makes it sooo great to feel the grinding when i shift into 3rd lol. but ya all in all i love the kartboy shifter. right now they have a special free bushing with purchase of the shifter. bought mine for like 128 shipped... thats for knob, bushing, and shifter...not bad.

AznXstazy said:
ya i got the kartboy too. with the knob, bushing, and shifter. compared to my stock mp3 one(which is shorter than other proteges) i felt a big difference at first. way shorter shifting... and a bit smoother. but it was harder to change into 3rd gear... changed my gear oil now im grindin in 3rd gear... really sucks. the shifter also makes it sooo great to feel the grinding when i shift into 3rd lol. but ya all in all i love the kartboy shifter. right now they have a special free bushing with purchase of the shifter. bought mine for like 128 shipped... thats for knob, bushing, and shifter...not bad.

Whoa whoa wait, Grinding? WTF. Short shifters cause grinding? I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH tranny#4. What caused this grinding?

Back