Short Shifter Install

ludicrous-speed1.jpg

I wish I didn't agree to cook dinner tonight... I get home to find my short shifter waiting on my front door. Looks like I'll be cooking cereal tonight so I can install this thing asap! :)

Got mine too. I was surprised to have it so fast since I'm on the other side of the country.

Installed it and it doesn't disappoint! It feels like it's in the next gear before I've finished pushing the clutch in to begin the gear change. So far I'm a big fan!

Last edited:
Installed it and it doesn't disappoint! It feels like it's in the next gear before I've finished pushing the clutch in to begin the gear change. So far I'm a big fan!

I'm glad you like it and it arrived so quick to you guys.

-Derrick

I got mine as well! Install took about 15 minutes, maybe.

I'd hate to be *that* guy, but I can't get my plate to stay on the transmission arm. It keeps falling off the stock mounting location about 10 or so minutes on every test drive.. :\ Going to keep trying to figure out why/what'll stop it

I got mine as well! Install took about 15 minutes, maybe.

I'd hate to be *that* guy, but I can't get my plate to stay on the transmission arm. It keeps falling off the stock mounting location about 10 or so minutes on every test drive.. :\ Going to keep trying to figure out why/what'll stop it

Send me a picture of what you have going to Derrick@corksport.com

Mine arrived today! I'm going to brave the -12C garage tomorrow to install it!

Installed mine, you guys must have been lucky, getting the cable off of the stock shifter arm was a ROYAL pain for me and my buddy. We ended up removing the rest of the battery tray to give us more room to get better leverage, and we didn't have a problem. The rest of the install went great.

However, I'm kinda on the fence about the feel of the new shifter. I find that gear changes require more effort. I don't know if its because my car JUST rolled over 5,000 and the shifter cable isn't quite broken in yet, but the system feels very, very tight now. I hope it loosens up just a bit. At first I thought that the cable was bound up, but we checked before we buttoned everything back up and it was moving around very nicely, however it feels very, very direct now. I'm thinking that because of the relocation of the cable, you lose a little bit of leverage on the arm.

As for the people having the plate fall off the arm, it took a couple tries to get the plate lined up just right on my car, and I found that bolting the plate to the arm before securing the cable make it a lot easier.

Installed mine, you guys must have been lucky, getting the cable off of the stock shifter arm was a ROYAL pain for me and my buddy. We ended up removing the rest of the battery tray to give us more room to get better leverage, and we didn't have a problem. The rest of the install went great.

However, I'm kinda on the fence about the feel of the new shifter. I find that gear changes require more effort. I don't know if its because my car JUST rolled over 5,000 and the shifter cable isn't quite broken in yet, but the system feels very, very tight now. I hope it loosens up just a bit. At first I thought that the cable was bound up, but we checked before we buttoned everything back up and it was moving around very nicely, however it feels very, very direct now. I'm thinking that because of the relocation of the cable, you lose a little bit of leverage on the arm.

As for the people having the plate fall off the arm, it took a couple tries to get the plate lined up just right on my car, and I found that bolting the plate to the arm before securing the cable make it a lot easier.

If it is just tight cables, or something like that, and there's no error in the system, try getting a heavier shift knob. It'll improve leverage effort greatly. A taller, heavier shift knob would be even better

If it is just tight cables, or something like that, and there's no error in the system, try getting a heavier shift knob. It'll improve leverage effort greatly. A taller, heavier shift knob would be even better

I'm using a really heavy Blox knob right now, haha.

Cortksport is Amazing !!

Ordered mine on the 31st got it this morning, well packaged, instructions, high quality, including a candy ;)....

8437850885_e678004b91_b.jpg

The hard part was to explain to my fiancee who Leah was LOL !!!!

8437851215_5084f78e75_b.jpg

Now time to install and enjoy..

Thanks Derrick

Andres

This.

Removing that bottom of the battery box helped IMMENSELY getting at the cable. I feel like this should be in the instructions as it makes access so much easier. And yes, popping off that cable was a b****. I had to use a pair of channel locks.

same first impression. I was a little worried because everything was quite stiff at first. Once i got out ad got the tranny warmed up (it was sitting out all night at -10c) things smoothed up quite a bit. Still a little stiff getting into 1st, but otherwise it's only marginally stiffer than stock.

On the whole tho:

Install took about 45-60 but i was moving really slow and texting a friend a lot ;-) No surprises everything went smooth. And the improvement is well worth it. This is a FANTASTIC mod at this price. Highly recommended.

The short shifter failed (it came off the shifter arm) on me after a 60 minute drive, was no longer able to access 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

I will take pics later when I go out to see what's up. Limping it home was a b****.

Installation, photos and impressions ...

Well after reading all the installation posts (thanks everybody) it took me only 18 min. just because I had to run upstairs to get some zip tights (3 min).

Removal of battery metal plate, you should remove the wiring from the plate:
8439164154_6bf8747158_b.jpg

Removal of the cable from the factory ball (pretty easy):
8439162798_b8b79ef750_b.jpg

8438076591_02e6096477_b.jpg

Only issue I found was the new plate does not fit flat in top of the the factory shifting bar around the factory ball which can cause the plate to come off while shifting:
8438077181_e05f8a8645_b.jpg

8439163460_eb0d580614_b.jpg

Then my 3 min delay running upstairs to get zip tights to fix the issue:
8439163764_b1207d2cd8_b.jpg

8439163856_aaceabc392_b.jpg

Done:
8438077815_03e82b845d_b.jpg

Comments:

Choose to use the zip tights because I don't see a better way right now and I wanted to drive it so bad...the color white instead of black of the zip tights, to make it easier to see if they brake.

Shifting is very smooth (added grease to the ball), is definitely shorter (rockon) , now my left foot needs to keep up with my right hand shifting into second (drive).

Love the shifting, for the cost I feel happy,

Corksport might have to come up with an upgrade clamp or something to prevent the shifter from coming off the factory shifting bar.

Andres

Last edited:
Back