Short-Ram Intake Group Buy

InsidiousMSP

:
Black Mazdaspeed
(Reposted here with approval)

I've been getting a lot of inquiries lately regarding Billet Design's plans on the short-ram intake for MSPs. So, here's your chance... if 10 of you are interested in buying a SRI for your Mazdaspeed within the next week, a group buy will be started in the For Sale section. $200 +shipping. These are individually hand-crafted, not mass produced. 20% down will be needed from all interested members before production. If all of you can do that by February 16th, the intakes will be shipped before the end of the month. That's $40 before the 16th to reserve your intake. Includes all necessary couplings, BPV tubing, hose clamps, filter, breather line, bracket for relocating the coolant tank, instructions, etc. So, get that list of 10 together. :)

Quick FAQ:

Q: How much?
A: $200 plus shipping. Shipping won't be more than 20 bucks.

Q: How long does it take to install?
A: With the stock intake off, I can put my SRI on in 5 minutes.

Q: Will there be Dyno numbers?
A: No. It's an intake.

Q: What is better for the MSP, CAI or SRI?
A: Short-ram. No question. If you argue this, sell your car right now. :)

Last edited:
SuperSpud said:
well Im arguing.. why is everyone going nuts over the SRI?

Take a look around at the intakes that ALL other turbo cars are running. 90% of them are SRIs & if you think about it, you'll understand why. A SRI improves airflow to the turbo, a FMIC is what cools the air (not a CAI).

If the intakes does not come with a heat shield, then $200 seems too high for a SRI, specially when you can buy an Injen for $212 and be able to convert to CAI or SRI as you please.
Also, for a MSP at stock boost, a CAI is better, unless the SRI has a good heat shield. I am still a big believer than a SRI is better for MOST turbo cars, but not the MSP unless you increase the boost to +10 psi. If the CAI is not restrictive for the amount of flow, then cold air is always better. Let's say we have 2 glasses with the same amount of water. One glass has cold water from the frig and the other tap water. Let's put the 1st glass in the microwave for 1 minute, the the other. Which one will be hotter after 1 minute in the microwave? why? The tap water will be hotter after 1 minute in the microwave because it was hotter to begin with. So if the SRI is sucking hotter air than a CAI, then it will be hotter once it goes through the IC because it was hotter to begin with.
The debate is not whether hot or cold air is better. We know cold air is better and companies like AEM and Injen also know that, specially AEM since I believe in their reputation and R&D. Many times AEM only developed a SRI because they saw that a CAI was not beneficial.
The debate is that a CAI intake becomes restrictive because of the extra tubing and bends, but I don't think that's the case until you increase the boost. Guys with high revving engines with lots of HP have also figure this out, but for a regular driver with simple bolt ons a CAI works just fine. That's why you will never see a CAI with long pipes on a REAL race car. There is planty of information and dynos about this on ther boards if anyone is interested.
Just my opinion...

I appreciate your thoughts, but this isn't the place to debate this. If you want cold air, get a FMIC, NOT a CAI. If you did your research, you would know that AEM's SRI performed better, but they aren't making it because it was more expensive & because they are a bunch of idiots (adding to the already oversaturated MSP CAI market).

Last edited:
03MSPRO said:
I was answering someone's question.....
And you did a great job of it too - I don't know why more people don't use science and logic in figuring this one out (screwy) . A FMIC will help a lot but on a street car you gotta start with as cool air as possible.

I'm trying to be nice about this, but please don't come in here promoting CAIs acting like we haven't heard 8203480284023 of your explanations before as to why you think they're better. You are free to believe that & buy a CAI for yourself, but this thread is for people who want the Billet Design SRI, so if you don't want one, don't post in here.

Black Majik MSP said:
Take a look around at the intakes that ALL other turbo cars are running. 90% of them are SRIs & if you think about it, you'll understand why. A SRI improves airflow to the turbo, a FMIC is what cools the air (not a CAI).

Black Majik, I won't pollute this thread anymore after this post because you're right, it IS for people who want a SRI and that's cool, CAI and SRI each have their own (well documented) benefits. I guess my thought about questioning the SRI is that I'd hope to "prevent" someone from making an uninformed decision - say new people or people without much car knowledge.

I don't care if 90% of people are doing something, it doesn't make it right - if 90% of people jumped off a bridge would you do that too? Anyhow, hope you all enjoy your SRI, and I'll enjoy my CAI. :) Cheers.

tiwing said:
Black Majik, I won't pollute this thread anymore after this post because you're right, it IS for people who want a SRI and that's cool, CAI and SRI each have their own (well documented) benefits. I guess my thought about questioning the SRI is that I'd hope to "prevent" someone from making an uninformed decision - say new people or people without much car knowledge.

I don't care if 90% of people are doing something, it doesn't make it right - if 90% of people jumped off a bridge would you do that too? Anyhow, hope you all enjoy your SRI, and I'll enjoy my CAI. :) Cheers.

You're basically talking about 90% of ALL of the turbocharged car owners in the world. That's a HUGE # & it includes some pretty damn smart people. If they jumped off, I'd be right behind them. :cool:

Subscribing to this thread to keep an eye on it. This is a gauging interest thread, not a discussion.. Please keep it that way right now.

(hand)

Please don't turn this into a debate (which I can't believe there is one). Either you want one... or you don't. :) It seemed like there were many more interested in actual Intakes here a few weeks ago, a sign of the forum as a whole becoming more educated... but it doesn't look promising now. Maybe I will post videos later of my car with the SRI that doesn't emit an animal-like sound from the stock BPV. That may actually entise people more than the actual performance gains. :p

-Insid... 14.3 @ 99mph, SRI & MBC.

why is everyone so set on the injen cai. if you haven't noticed in reality it adds no power to the car. Something like a short ram intake will help further down the road for u guys looking to mod your car out. Look at any fast supra, evo, 300zx and what do you thats right a little pipe and an air filter. Nothing that goes into your fender. If you guys want a good product then look into this intake I guaratee it will help plus look at insidious he ran a 14.3 with just that intake and a mbc. Now start signing up. (yes)

InsidiousMSP said:
Maybe I will post videos later of my car with the SRI that doesn't emit an animal-like sound from the stock BPV. That may actually entise people more than the actual performance gains. :p

(rofl)
If I had the $$, I would definately buy this, but I'm still in the hole as it is. :( Care to sponsor me?...I'm excellent at spreading the word on the forum & at car meets. :p

LiLiTaLy said:
why is everyone so set on the injen cai. if you haven't noticed in reality it adds no power to the car. Something like a short ram intake will help further down the road for u guys looking to mod your car out. Look at any fast supra, evo, 300zx and what do you thats right a little pipe and an air filter. Nothing that goes into your fender. If you guys want a good product then look into this intake I guaratee it will help plus look at insidious he ran a 14.3 with just that intake and a mbc. Now start signing up. (yes)

:rolleyes:

If it was not that I already bought an intake, I would join this GB. Again,
does it include a heatshield?

Back