Shopping Help Part 2

EvilMSP

:
2003 Black Mica MazdaSpeed
Well I have done a lot of thinking/shopping and have some new questions and ideas.

Old Idea was: Nak CD-400, Adire Koda Components, DLS CA-50, Koda 10" Sub

New Thoughts:

I still want the same speakers.

I am thinking I want to get an Eclipse or Alpine HU now. My origional idea was pure quality but I'm not really spending pure quality kind of money anyway. And I'm afraid that 3 months from now I'll want that MP3 feature back, so I need a well rounded HU.

But If I get the Ca-50 will my new HU be able to control the sub? To my knowledge all the sub controls effect whatever it attached to the sub out channel on the HU correct. So to take advantage of the new feature I should have 2 amps. Like a Ca-21 and a CAD1000, how does that sound?

I found a Ca-21 for like 200ish, not sure about the Cad1000 though.

Comments? Questions? Concearns??

actually the CA50 has seperate sub inputs, so the HU would control that seperately from the other channels.

i'd go with an MP3 capable deck, and rip all your CD's to 192 kbps mp3's and call it a day(rockon)

the CA21 is $199 through scott. i don't have the price of the CAD1000, though. course the CAD1000 would be better suited for powering a brahma 10, not a koda(evil) i can't bring up the DLS america site right now, but for some reason i'm thinking the CAD1000 is the same as the CA-10, which is $379.

Hmmm let me go look at the sight cause I thought the CA-50 had only one input. Cause if it has one for speakers and one for sub I'll get it for sure then. And I still like the entire Koda series so I don't need massive wattage compared to the Brahma.

And I only picked the 1000 cause I figured it was the most reasonable mono block they had in terms on non crazy watts and price.

Ooooooh I see it now. I always looked at the up-close pictures and they have 2 in the cluster and now I see they have on over on the left.

So the set on the left is the output and the sets on the right are for Speaker (front I assume, maybe both) and then a Sub input? If that is true that is tight.

EvilMSP said:
Ooooooh I see it now. I always looked at the up-close pictures and they have 2 in the cluster and now I see they have on over on the left.

So the set on the left is the output and the sets on the right are for Speaker (front I assume, maybe both) and then a Sub input? If that is true that is tight.
on the left are channels A and B inputs. on the right are channels C, D, and E. there are no RCA outputs on the amp. i think you were looking at the CA40, which does have an RCA output.

Yeah I was looking at so much stuff I must have mixed up all of the stats.

So the CA-50 has 3 inputs and no outputs, cool.

I am liking the CA-50 even more now, seems like exactly what I need.

I'm going to go and look at the Alpine/Eclipse HU's at this store I know. Is there any feature I should look out for? Cause I'll go for whichever one I think looks and feels better to me. I just don't want to miss any awsome features that I don't see. Oh and I'll go in the $300 range so that means the Apline 9833 or the Eclpise CD5444/CD3434 (I'm not sure which one exactly)

for the HU's, pick whatever looks best and feels best to you. play around with all the things you will be using on a daily basis like the volume, track access, presets, etc. i won't buy a HU if the rotory volume knob does not increase the volume fast enough. just my personal preference. it's small things like that which can irritate the hell out of you;) you should be very pleased with either the 9833 or the eclipse units.

Just a side note, just becuase a headunit has a seperate subwoofer preout, does not mean it has seperate subwoofer control as we have come to know it. Eclipse did this crap last year. The subout had a crossover only, no level control.

I've got an 8454 and I do have level control while in basic mode, which I believe is the mode that most of the decent new eclipse HU's have. The 84 offers the Pro mode which is awesome for alot of things, but it only allows sub level to be adjusted with the EQ and removes the sub-out control.

Hmmm ok. I seem to like the Alpine's like 10x more than the eclipse in terms of looks and controls. My friend was showing me his Alpine from 2 years ago (still looks the same) and I like how it is setup, also has good features.

But then I just got my crutchfield mag (recently ordered it for fun) and I saw the Alpine CDA-7998. This thing looks freakin amazing. It is actually a Pre-Amp like I origionally wanted and damn, it just looks amazing in terms of visual and features.

Crutch has it for $400 (down from $800) and the cheapest I could find on Ebay was like 350ish new and there are a few used ones for sale, it seems like a model from a year ago or so. What do you guys think about this one over say the 9833. This new one seems ideal to me, but $300 was already kind of pushing my wallet, not sure if I can find this one for cheap enough.

Damn I went to look into it more and Crutchfield is already out of them, darn. I saw one guy selling his for "400+" but it's really hard to tell. I think a little add has got me obsessed with something I cannot afford lol.

the 7998 was a great unit, and it was posted that crutchfield had them, but sold out very fast over on carsound a while ago. you'll still be very happy with the 9833;)

Yeah but the 7998 is so pretty :(

Hehe I know the other one is great too, that one just caught my eye. I'm keeping my eye on Ebay for a little bit to see how much they are. There are 2 for 350ish and one for 100 but that one scares me. For some reason no one is bidding on that one. It ends the soonest but has the fewest bids, can you see why?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

This one isn't too high eaither so I'll keep watching it.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

EvilMSP said:
Alpine CDA-7998. .
Worst Piece of s*** ALpine has ever created.
NOt only is it retarded that it offers no theft protection as the face is not removable but it breaks CONSTANTLY. Most of the guys at tweeter would do EVERYTHING we could to get people to get a different unit. That stupid swing face always broke. So much so that now tweeters repair facility can turn them around in a heart beat as they had to start stocking the parts to fix it. The CDA-9815 was every bit as good of a unit as the 7998 and that was last year. The 7998 is now 2 years old and there's a damn good reason alpine stopped making them or any like them.

1sty said:
NOt only is it retarded that it offers no theft protection as the face is not removable but it breaks CONSTANTLY. Most of the guys at tweeter would do EVERYTHING we could to get people to get a different unit. That stupid swing face always broke. So much so that now tweeters repair facility can turn them around in a heart beat as they had to start stocking the parts to fix it. The CDA-9815 was every bit as good of a unit as the 7998 and that was last year. The 7998 is now 2 years old and there's a damn good reason alpine stopped making them or any like them.
I no longer have any urge to own it now :) Thank you GREATLY for the info 1sty. I knew it was an old model but I had no ideal how old, I just firgured it was last years.

Would that other one you mentioned be a good choice? Or is the new 9833 a better choice in your opinion?

EvilMSP said:
I no longer have any urge to own it now :) Thank you GREATLY for the info 1sty. I knew it was an old model but I had no ideal how old, I just firgured it was last years.

Would that other one you mentioned be a good choice? Or is the new 9833 a better choice in your opinion?
The face swing mechanism was trash the year of the 7998, 7993, and 7995. The next year which included the 9815 was certainly better but not great. This years are a bit improved over last years. Since you should be able to get a deal on it, the CDA-9815 might be the way to go. It has everything the CDA-9833 does. Except for a different display that I like better. The only features the 9815 has over the 9813 is I-Personalize and the display colors. SO even the 9813 should do a great job.

The only draw back to last years models is that they will not control the I-pod through the adapter, although I think it may be able to still play through it.

Hmmm ok. Ill keep an eye out for a deal on last years model then and see what happens. As long as the level of quality is the same that is all I really care about. I don't care taht much about the I-Personalize and I don't and most likely will never own an I-Pod so that feature is not a biggie to me.

1sty said:

damn, i knew some of them from that year had issues with the faces, but i didn't know it was that bad :(

The prices on the last years CDA-9831 are like 100 under the newer one i wanted. But this is the last thing I was planning to buy in the trilogy so I can wait.

And also a random question what do you guys think of the stock CD-Player? I know it breaks, loses settings, and looks really annoying lol. But it's ok quality wise isn't it?

Back