Shifting Thumps???

vangj01

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - Titanium Gray Metallic.
I was just wondering if this is normal on MSP's or if I just need new motor mounts.

Everytime I am driving the car and if I floor a gear up above 5000 rpm or so then switch gears normally (instead of power shifting), the car seems to give a hard thump or push or whatever. I can't explain it. If I shift fast and floor it into next gear it seems okay.

If I drive normal everything is okay. This only happens when I floor a gear and switch normally to the next.

Any ideas on what might be happening. I'm thinking I probably need new mounts. I'm assuming the softer the mounts, the less vibration there will be?

Thanks.

Exhaust hitting something underneath the car?
Mine does due to the soft stock engine mounts.

I guess it could be that. I probably just need some new mounts. My car on idle already vibrates a little, I wonder how much more it'll vibrate with aftermarket mounts.

alot more then you think. i had an awr 70duro front motor mount and i just couldn't stand it anymore. and in the winter....f*** that

Pretty much any upgrade you do to the stock mounts will increase vibration to some degree .. even if you get the softest ones available.

I have an AWR rear motor mount (70 durometer) and an SLS front motor mount, and my car at idle is like one massive massage chair.

It's the rear motor mount that REALLY adds the vibrations. If you just do the front (or front and passenger), it shouldn't increase any huge amount.

Get new stock mounts and get the front and rear inserts from corksport. Its alot less vibration than the awr mounts.

If you do just the front, it will cause the rear to eventually fail. you need to balance it out.

Would it make sense to just do the side inserts? Or maybe do the side inserts along with new stock front and rear mounts? I would like the best options with the least amount of vibration.

the problem is, with the way the engine faces, the forces from shifting are forward to back (cause engine is sideways). so doing sides alone wont really help with that. youd still have the torque ripping up the stock ones.

u can just keep replacing stock ones if u dont want vibrations. but the inserts in the stock ones really isnt bad at all. if u add the side ones, it vibrates more. I had the front and rear inserts with stock mounts and it was less vibration overall than just the front AWR mount at 70 Duro (softest)

The inserts are the best balance between stabalizing the engine to save your exhaust pieces and mounts from stress and vibration. If u are looking for all out performance however, they arent for you cause itll still wheel hop. Not as bad but it will

Last edited:
Would it make sense to just do the side inserts? Or maybe do the side inserts along with new stock front and rear mounts? I would like the best options with the least amount of vibration.

side inserts arent going to help you...most of the force is moving front to back...not side to side...If you are shifting and it feels like really bad shift lash then your mounts are shredded...Mine were done within 25,000 miles...they are crap...I got the stiffest AWRs as replacements and if you dont mind all the vibrations they are great.

the problem is, with the way the engine faces, the forces from shifting are forward to back (cause engine is sideways). so doing sides alone wont really help with that. youd still have the torque ripping up the stock ones.

u can just keep replacing stock ones if u dont want vibrations. but the inserts in the stock ones really isnt bad at all. if u add the side ones, it vibrates more. I had the front and rear inserts with stock mounts and it was less vibration overall than just the front AWR mount at 70 Duro (softest)

The inserts are the best balance between stabalizing the engine to save your exhaust pieces and mounts from stress and vibration. If u are looking for all out performance however, they arent for you cause itll still wheel hop. Not as bad but it will

I'm not in it for all out performance, which is why I don't want to do full mount upgrades. Plus, it is my daily driver and I have a kids in which might ride with me every so often. I hardly ever push the car.

So it sounds like my best options would be to keep replacing stock front and rear mounts with new stock mounts, or get some front and rear inserts instead of the whole mounts.

Which front and rear inserts are you using?

corksport.

they are cheap and work great. It WILL vibrate but compared to the solid mounts its nothing.

I'll probably have to try that for now to see how much it helps. I looked on Corksports site and I can't find just the front and rear inserts. Do I have to call them on it?

i can second that doing just the front mount will detroy your stock rear, i inspected mine today and the rear is torn again. second rear mount ive been through since adding the front awr. time for a corksport rear mount insert.

^^^

Yep. I think they're a good way to go, as you get to have your front and rear mounts the same (in terms of density/durability), and so don't wear our the fronts (as can happen when you just upgrade the fronts), so quickly.

Back