Shifting into reverse...

The little ring was just another piece of linkage that could break.
If you've driven many sticks, at some point you'll run into this(drive); If you don't have much experience then ASK, or RTM(RTM).
In a standard five speed; three up, three down there must be a fifth to reverse lockout. Some inexperienced drivers managed to try reverse like a sixth gear, not realize they hit a lockout, then try again at full speed.(wow) This could have serious consequences.
At least with reverse next to first, many here who didn't know, where merely embarassed.

Now if I could just figure out what that pedal on the left is for?

Wow, haven't have this much trouble since my first car (Fiero GT). I've found a way to do it every time, but I worry about prolonged effects it may have.

As it is now, the only way I can shift into reverse is to:

1. Put shifter in neutral.
2. Quickly and sharply, throw shifter to the right (between 5th and 6th) and..
3. With the same force and speed, throw it back to the left all the way to reverse.

I need video demonstration of this (cryhard)

In a standard five speed; three up, three down there must be a fifth to reverse lockout. Some inexperienced drivers managed to try reverse like a sixth gear, not realize they hit a lockout, then try again at full speed.(wow) This could have serious consequences.

I saw a news blurb on CNNHN where Britney Spears used this shifting technique to total a Ferrari she had rented in LA.
Classic.

The thing I find most hilarious about the whole shifter situation, is that he figured out this real crazy way (shift into 5th, then 6th, then reverse... GO!) and didn't by chance press down on the shifter in the whole experimentation process.

My most recent run in with a 6-speed manual was a nissan altima coupe, and that one has a ring you have to pull up before the reverse unlocks. Took me a while and a few chirps forward in 1st before I figured that one out.

If you look at the shifter before you do anything you'll see that reverse is farther to the left than 1st and 2nd gear. Common sense told me I needed to bring the shifter over past 1st and 2nd gear to get it into reverse. Sorry but I just can't understand how someone could honestly not figure this out. Massive fail, that is all.

If you look at the shifter before you do anything you'll see that reverse is farther to the left than 1st and 2nd gear. Common sense told me I needed to bring the shifter over past 1st and 2nd gear to get it into reverse. Sorry but I just can't understand how someone could honestly not figure this out. Massive fail, that is all.

But you DON'T bring the shifter past first and second, you push it down and forward into a position "under" first gear. (gtfo)

This is now the second time you've told the OP that he failed massively. Get over it and find somewhere else to troll.

Last edited:
But you DON'T bring the shifter past first and second, you push it down and forward into a position "under" first gear. (gtfo)

This is now the second time you've told the OP that he failed massively. Get over it and find somewhere else to troll.

Wow! You really do have no clue. Reverse in on the other side (left) of where 1st and 2nd gear reside when you visually look at it. How hard is this for you to comprehend?? And of course you push it down and over, there's no other way to do it properly. A couple seconds of messing around with it and most people should figure that out. I'm really sorry if this posed a challenge for you. Since you want to get all E-thug on me I'll throw it right back at you.

Last edited:
Wow! You really do have no clue. Reverse in on the other side (left) of where 1st and 2nd gear reside when you visually look at it. How hard is this for you to comprehend?? And of course you push it down and over, there's no other way to do it properly. A couple seconds of messing around with it and most people should figure that out. I'm really sorry if this posed a challenge for you. Since you want to get all E-thug on me I'll throw it right back at you.

Well, if you read the whole thread, it starts out with me being an idiot. Then questioning myself, and deciding to risk embarrasment by asking here on the forum. I expected alot of RTM's, etc. I got alot, but I also learned how to properly do it. That's what's important. You see, normal 5-speeds don't require any kind of ring or "pushing to the floor". And for someone who just jumps into their first 6 speed thinking "Oh, an extra gear....cool.", this is bound to happen from time to time. It's probably my fault the dealership didn't explain it to me, as I thought I knew what I was doing, and said so. How was I to know something "special" was required to shift into reverse, as opposed to a 5 speed?

Anyway, this thread might help more people than just me. It at least gave a few people some good laughs, and maybe some coffee covered keyboards.

And just for the record, I looked up some of your previous posts to see if you were a prick to everyone on a constant basis, and I learned of your hydrolock. Sorry to see that happen to ya. I bet if it happened to me, I'd be less patient with people also. I wish ya luck with it.

Last edited:
Well, if you read the whole thread, it starts out with me being an idiot. Then questioning myself, and deciding to risk embarrasment by asking here on the forum. I expected alot of RTM's, etc. I got alot, but I also learned how to properly do it. That's what's important. You see, normal 5-speeds don't require any kind of ring or "pushing to the floor". And for someone who just jumps into their first 6 speed thinking "Oh, an extra gear....cool.", this is bound to happen from time to time. It's probably my fault the dealership didn't explain it to me, as I thought I knew what I was doing, and said so. How was I to know something "special" was required to shift into reverse, as opposed to a 5 speed?

Anyway, this thread might help more people than just me. It at least gave a few people some good laughs, and maybe some coffee covered keyboards.

And just for the record, I looked up some of your previous posts to see if you were a prick to everyone on a constant basis, and I learned of your hydrolock. Sorry to see that happen to ya. I bet if it happened to me, I'd be less patient with people also. I wish ya luck with it.

I was sorta joking about it with you man. No hard feelings.

I'm not getting ethug on you, but it's time to move on my friend. The OP was having trouble with his car, he posted about it, we helped, he realized the mistake, we all had a laugh...lesson learned. Wait til someone puts a wing on their MS3 or something and then you can bring out the "OMG, you're an idiot!" speech.

Last edited:
Back