*Shifting from 1st to 2nd (clunk!)

djthom

Contributor
Ok i know I've read that others have heard this clunk from shifting from 1st to 2nd and the solution was changing the motor mount.

I changed out my stock mm for the TRZ dogbone (delrin)and it has reduced this clunk but I still get it on occasion...

Is this something to be worried about? Could another mount be bad?

ok ok last question...Are all these vibrations normal? I mean I'm not talking just at start up...its pretty rough throughout the driving experience...

Big thanks in advance!

Are we talking hard 1-2 shifts? The motor mount shouldn't really change the way a shift sounds/feels unless you're doing wide-open shifts that cause the engine to shift relatively violently.

Alot of people said that with the stock mount, on the 1-2 shift, the engine can flex enough to accually hit the firewall. Althought you said you put a TRZ mount in, so They should have eliminated that possiblility.

As for the vibrations, It is normal. Since you don't have that soft rubber on the mount anymore (you got the derlin), all those vibrations that where once absorbed are now transmitted through the body of the car. unfortunantly, they are completely normal.

EDIT - and the motor mount can change the way the shifts feel also. If I was you, don't do a hard 1-2 shift. Use 1st to get going, then do a gentle shift to 2nd, letting the clutch slip a little, then lay on the power.

maybe ur jsut hearing s*** when u have traction on? try shifting without traction, and yes teh vibrations are completely normal, after 2.5k rpms my car feels normal tho. its only low rpms with some throttle down. sometimes i make it sound like bass its pretty funny

Why did you get the delrin? That's as stiff (vibrations) as it gets! Passenger side should help + it will help with the wheel hop!

You can have a habbit of popping out of gear before you clutch is completely engaged and you will still get a clunk. Try shifting more adamantly, pressing the clutch ALL THE WAY in then shift from 1st to 2nd.

I knew the delrin would be mad stiff but didn't expect this amount of vibration.

It makes no difference if the traction control is on or off...

I think mazdaspeedster3 is onto something...i maybe shifting before the clutch is fully engaged...i will test this theory tonight.

I have the delrin AWR mount. My car vibrates like none other... Horrible. Especially in reverse or with the AC on. Wife hates it! I like it though, makes the car feel tough. LMAO

don't get me wrong folks...i REALLY like the effects of this mount!!!

but will be changing it out for the CP-E one once it is not on back-order...

I Am also getting this clunking noise and I have NO IDEA what it could be.. Im thinking it has to do with my stock tranny mount. I have the SU MM to replace the stock rear engine mount and it was good for a while but now when I am IN gear usually first and second the shorter gears i will accelerate and as soon as i let off the throttle i will hear a clunk.... Im kinda nervous that I dont know what it is (confused).

I say the Speed3 needs a good torque damper, swapping out the motor mounts will help, but a torque damper should eliminate most of the engine movement.

Back