Shift fork?

chrisjw85

I had just recently brought my msp for a high pitched whine that I get in 5th gear around 60mph cruising. They concluded that it was the 5th gear in the transmission and replaced it and on replacing found that the shift fork tip was broken off and had to replace that. Just curious on what exactly it is/does and how that happens. Hopefully that whine really is the 5th gear it's really annoying.

The shift fork basically holds onto part of the manual tranmission gearing system and moves it up and down. There are 3 forks in our 5 speed tranny. One for 5th/reverse, one for 1st and 2nd, and one for 3rd and 4th. There are 3 "tips" on the geometry of the fork. The 5th/reverse fork only has the two tips that are on either side fo the gear assembly and I can't imagine how that got cracked as that is pretty beefy and also not anywhere where it could be impacted by anything. Must have been a really bad casting on that fork for it to have cracked a tip. The 3/4 and 1/2 forks have an actuator arm on them that has a tip that cracks off when people say they broke their shift fork and are unable to shift in the gears. That has happened enough, but is rather different from what it sounds like happened to you.

oooh ok, maybe they thought it was gonna break or something. Thanks for explaning. It kinda stinks just called the guy and he doesn't think I'll have it back until tomorrow at the earliest. They've had it since last thursday, but hey I'm getting a bunch of new parts to trash :)

Yikes... those will be pricey! But that is fabulous!

Will it be single billet or two piece? or cast so you can machine it properly from there? I'm just thinking because if you are machining it from a single billet that is going to be an incredible amount of material to shave off because of the geometry of the forks. I can't imagine that being cheap in any way, but that is such an incredibly needed thing for those who believe "gears are meant to be slammed" (which isn't me... I shift like I've got a raw egg for shift knob and I might break it)

Last edited:
They will be Billet.The stick forks are very weak and alot of people are breaking them.I will be making them for my car and will run some extras for those in need as well.
Price wise, for the 3 forks it shouldn't be more than $400(I hope)

Last edited:
MAMotorsports said:
Price wise, for the 3 forks it should be more than $400(I hope)

heh, of course the man selling them would hope for that (boom07)

just kidding. i believe your missing a "n't" after that "should"

That's not too bad of a price then as stock forks a set of 3 will run you just shy of 200 If I remember... (I have two forks and I think they cost me nearly 100 and the last fork was even more expensive. )

It'll be a great piece of insurance to have around to say the least! Watch some yahoo still manage to bust them though... :)

Back