Several suspension questions

Rittmeister

:
2002 Protege ES
So - I bought my 2002 ES in 2007. It's approaching 140k miles and while I was thinking about getting rid of the car, it makes financial sense for me to keep it for a while longer. This means addressing a few issues.

1. The car has had Sprint springs on it since I bought it. I have the factory springs, in the Sprint box - they were included in the purchase. Since I got the car the front end has sagged substantially - it's a lot lower than it was in the seller's pictures, which I still have.

I'd like to replace the springs but it occurs to me that the struts are probably tired, and a used MSP suspension would bolt in a lot faster - no fooling with spring compressors, etc, just take out the current strut/spring assemblies and bolt in the replacements.

Here's the question: the car has all new swaybar endlinks and bushings front and rear, so I'd like to keep the stock swaybars. I know that you can't use MSP springs on the non-MSP struts, but will the non-MSP swaybars bolt to the MSP strut/spring setup, or are the endlink attachment points different?

2. Failing that, I will replace the springs, BUT I do prefer a slightly lower-than-stock ride height. My car is just my daily driver, so ride comfort is the highest priority. I've heard good things about the Tein H-Tech and the Racing Beat setup in that they don't lower the car much and are pretty comfortable; I'd appreciate any opinions on that matter. FYI, coilovers are NOT an option. Too expensive and too fiddly for my life right now.

Any help appreciated - I need to get this taken care of before winter.

Stick with the sprint springs, and pick up some tokico blues. changing the spring and strut with two people can be done in 6 hours or less. (depending on the amount of beer on hand lol)

That's my .02 cents

The Sprints have sagged. They are noticeably lower in front than they were a few years ago. They have to go. I'd really like some answers about the MSP suspension's compatibility with the stock ES swaybar setup.

you will have no issues running the ES sway bars and end links with MSP struts.

you will have no issues running the ES sway bars and end links with MSP struts.

You do mean my factory swaybars, right? Not Energy Suspension or something? Just making sure.

Now, anyone want to sell me a complete MSP strut/spring setup?

any msp set up you get is going to be old the msp uses tokico blue hp struts and knock off racing beat springs you can get them brand new for under 600. if you plan on keeping the car for awhile that will be the way to go. plus for some reason the msps struts are weird and if you dont use a spring specificly for the msp your rear end will sit up higher. alot of people use the tokico and whatever spring setup they want and use the stock sway bars

You do mean my factory swaybars, right? Not Energy Suspension or something? Just making sure.

Now, anyone want to sell me a complete MSP strut/spring setup?

yes, factory sway bars. you have an ES, so i said "ES Sway BARS".

any msp set up you get is going to be old the msp uses tokico blue hp struts and knock off racing beat springs you can get them brand new for under 600. if you plan on keeping the car for awhile that will be the way to go. plus for some reason the msps struts are weird and if you dont use a spring specificly for the msp your rear end will sit up higher. alot of people use the tokico and whatever spring setup they want and use the stock sway bars

i would second this thought.

get a set of tokico HP's - make sure they are new - and a set of tein s-techs. then you will be happy.

Fair point. I'm aware that a setup like this would be used. My car has 140k miles and I figured if I could find an MSP setup that had been removed at 50-70k in favor of an aftermarket setup and had just been sitting around that that would be a good upgrade. Finding that might not be practical though, as you say.

yes, factory sway bars. you have an ES, so i said "ES Sway BARS".

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to be sure. I haven't researched this chassis as much as I have some others - I confess, it's my daily, I just want it to ride properly and not break ;) For the most part, it's worked well.

i would second this thought.

get a set of tokico HP's - make sure they are new - and a set of tein s-techs. then you will be happy.

So, the Tokico HP is really the MSP damper. Now that you say that I do remember reading it. I would be reluctant to buy the Racing Beat springs for the reason above, that I feel it'd be easy to get the wrong ones and have the car sit funny.

If I go through with this, I want springs that will A) not lower the car too much and B) ride comfortably. I've never driven this car on the stock springs so I have no point of reference, but are the Teins known at all for a rough/stiff ride?

What about an all-tokico setup? I've seen a Tokico-branded strut/spring combo for sale for some fairly attractive prices. I assume the dampers are the same, but do the springs ride well?

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Last edited:
So, the Tokico HP is really the MSP damper. Now that you say that I do remember reading it. I would be reluctant to buy the Racing Beat springs for the reason above, that I feel it'd be easy to get the wrong ones and have the car sit funny.

the HP struts are NOT the same as the MSP struts. they "look" similar, but they are not the same. the MSP struts have different valving, and the rear spring perch is assembled differently. this is why i said to make sure you purchase NEW hp's.

If I go through with this, I want springs that will A) not lower the car too much and B) ride comfortably. I've never driven this car on the stock springs so I have no point of reference, but are the Teins known at all for a rough/stiff ride?

What about an all-tokico setup? I've seen a Tokico-branded strut/spring combo for sale for some fairly attractive prices. I assume the dampers are the same, but do the springs ride well?

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

i have the HP handling kit (HP struts and Tokico springs) installed on my car, and it rides VERY well. its definitely stiffer from stock, but not unbearable. the advantage to the kit is you are getting struts and springs that are matched - no over or under damped ride. ride height is at about 12.75" in the front, and 12.5" in the back. (distance from fender lip to wheel center) check the picture in my signature.

The tokicos don't last for ever if you get 100k out of them your lucky stiff struts don't last as long so used really isn't the way to go. As for springs teins are stiff eibachs are progressive so they ride smooth but still handles well. I would sugest the racing beat springs its about a .75" drop so not much of a drop but rides smooth

the HP struts are NOT the same as the MSP struts. they "look" similar, but they are not the same. the MSP struts have different valving, and the rear spring perch is assembled differently. this is why i said to make sure you purchase NEW hp's.

i have the HP handling kit (HP struts and Tokico springs) installed on my car, and it rides VERY well. its definitely stiffer from stock, but not unbearable. the advantage to the kit is you are getting struts and springs that are matched - no over or under damped ride. ride height is at about 12.75" in the front, and 12.5" in the back. (distance from fender lip to wheel center) check the picture in my signature.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good setup - it has to ride better than the dead damper/sagged Sprint combo I'm currently running.

The tokicos don't last for ever if you get 100k out of them your lucky stiff struts don't last as long so used really isn't the way to go. As for springs teins are stiff eibachs are progressive so they ride smooth but still handles well. I would sugest the racing beat springs its about a .75" drop so not much of a drop but rides smooth

I doubt I'll have the car for another 100k, even if I keep it another 2-3 years.

Back