Setting up a new aquarium

krimsonviper

:
2010 Mazda3 i-Touring
Just got a 15gal. and I havent bought any fish for it. So far I have a 15 gal. filter, about 10+ plants, a heater, gravel, and of course a glass lid and flourescent lamp. My question(s) is: how many fish can I put into it? I'm wanting cichlids. I also want a bottom feeder and a algae eater(will purchase later due to me not wanting it to starve). What kind of fish can I put in with the cichlids. What temp should I keep the tank at? Do I have to have an undergravel filtration system? I've heard that pleco's get HUGE and I dont think that the chinese algae eaters do squat against algae(previous experience), so what other kinds of algae eaters are there? Should I get a bottom feeder and an algae eater or is there one that does the same? So many questions, but I want to do this right the first time and not waste my money. Also, any cichlid suggestions?

*edit*
I'm using fake plants. I have no experience with real plants. Recommendations?

Last edited:
rule of thumb is 1 gal per inch of fish. Make sure you account for growth, gravel and equipment--it's better to only have a couple fish that live a long time than a crowded tank with lots of turnover ;) I don't know how big your chosen fish get, but I wouldn't put in more than 4 (total).

I think cichlids are aggressive, so there probably isn't a whole lot you can put in with them.
I have a clown pleco in my 20gal with a few tetra & an angelfish. It's hardly grown since I put it in a couple years ago, and I was told they don't get anywhere as big as other varieties.

I like using undergravel filters since it's another way to keep the water clean, but then, I have a small powerhead on mine...
I think the middle of the safe range for a tropical tank is 80*F

Rise!
Cichlids, or African Cichlids can be great fish. They are aggresive, but can be very beautiful. Best to stick with a couple of them, and on the side, a Plecostumus Algea Eater. Those are great for your cleanup crew as well. My rule of thumb is normally 1 fish per ten gallons as no to over croud, but if they are fairly small, then you should be fine with a couple of them in a 15 gallon.

I'm thinking about doing this too once we get into our new house but with a bit larger of a tank! Good luck with yours!

never messing with another pleco. they always bring disease into my tank, then die. the meds i put into the tank never fix the problem before the little fucker dies. so i basically paid a couple bucks for a disease. i think i'd rather buy a hooker, at least then i got something about of it other than herpes

I'm going to over crowd the tank. it tends to keep them a little under control with their aggressiveness. so far i have 3 electric yellows(yellow labs), a msobo, and i forget the other one, but he's dark and not very colorful except for a little emerald green. i also have a little catfish guy thats a bottom feeder. im going to trade in the emerald green guy and the msobo and have more female yellow labs. i want to see if i can breed them

my only problem right now, is i used that mardel or merdel coppersafe to cure what the pleco brought to my tank, and now everything is a VERY hazy green. It cured everything, but gosh dammit! i already cleaned out all the water, washed the gravel, but not the plants and filter cartridge, and the green haze came back like 2 1/2 weeks later. irritates me to no end! by the end of the month, im going to move my fish tank, this time, im going to wash everything and hopefully that'll cure it.

I dunno. I'll list everything i've used to set up my tank when i get home. maybe one of you guys have come across the same problem i have and can tell me what to eliminate and not use again. coppersafe im definately not using again.

Back