Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

I also gave the module a better chance to work with BT today and it seemed to be working as it should. Maybe I was just hammering away at changing the ports too quickly? Who knows...

• SMS still works after reboot with passcode enabled

• Wife's phone now works too.

Disable passcode --> Reboot ---> Re-enable passcode

Just to add something here that I've posted to the original thread on the USB playback issues -

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826135-Resuming-Playback-with-2014-CX-5-GT-Tech-Stereo-and-other-issues/page55

Mazda Technical have confirmed that the maximum USB thumb drive size the 14/15 (pre MZD Connect) system is designed to work with is 8GB. Anything larger will result in issues and eventually kill the Bluetooth/USB Module.

Do you have some sort of TSB or memo that states that? I've been using a 32gb flash drive with zero issues whatsovever now after the update, and other members have been using similar sized thumb drives.

Do you have some sort of TSB or memo that states that? I've been using a 32gb flash drive with zero issues whatsovever now after the update, and other members have been using similar sized thumb drives.

I had an email last month from Mazda Europe Technical via Mazda UK that stated it. I'd been having issues since April 2014 with the Media System, initially with the USB Playback Resume, Shufffle and general slowness issues, but then after replacing it to a 'fixed' one, with modules which initially seemed to work with my 16GB USB drive but which died after a matter of weeks. Just prior to the 4th and most recent replacement of my Bluetooth/USB Module last month, the 8GB limit is what they confirmed it was designed to work with as a maximum. I switched to an 8GB drive at that point and so far haven't had any repetition of the early signs of failure. Please note, my replacement modules initially appeared to work with my 16GB drive, but started to exhibit weird behaviour within weeks of being installed before eventually just giving up all together.

I don't know whether the Americas region gets a different hardware module and/or software combination which is designed to allow bigger drives, but certainly for Europe that 8GB limit applies.

I've been trying to figure this out here in the USA. Initially, it appeared that I was having difficulty with larger drives (>8GB), but more testing has indicated that it may be the number of files on the drive that causes problems. It appears that regardless of drive size, when I put over 2000 files on a drive, the total # of songs indicated can be less than it should. For example if I have 2500 songs on a drive, when playing it would indicate track 53/1827 is playing (not 53/2500). After re-starting the car (and not removing the USB drive) all of the songs were found and the display correctly would indicate song #1024/2500 is playing. Each subsequent re-start would also mostly work*. This happens on 8GB and 16GB drives. I am going to do some further testing on this.

*3 problems observed after re-start with a large # of songs: (1) head unit sometimes changes from USB to Radio or CD, (2) head unit USB operation does not work until USB drive removed an re-inserted, (3) playlists not accessible via USB menu

I've been trying to figure this out here in the USA. Initially, it appeared that I was having difficulty with larger drives (>8GB), but more testing has indicated that it may be the number of files on the drive that causes problems. It appears that regardless of drive size, when I put over 2000 files on a drive, the total # of songs indicated can be less than it should. For example if I have 2500 songs on a drive, when playing it would indicate track 53/1827 is playing (not 53/2500). After re-starting the car (and not removing the USB drive) all of the songs were found and the display correctly would indicate song #1024/2500 is playing. Each subsequent re-start would also mostly work*. This happens on 8GB and 16GB drives. I am going to do some further testing on this.

*3 problems observed after re-start with a large # of songs: (1) head unit sometimes changes from USB to Radio or CD, (2) head unit USB operation does not work until USB drive removed an re-inserted, (3) playlists not accessible via USB menu

As I think I mentioned on your other thread, they could have placed restrictions on both size and qty. If you calculate 2000 files at a minimum reasonable quality MP3/AAC encoding bit rate of 128kbps at an average of around 3 mins length each, that equates to circa 8GB in total, so it is possible that there is a limit on track numbers too. I've asked Mazda UK to confirm this directly, so will post back any response I get.

I would like my USB fixed as well

yeah but most of us still want the usb issues fixed ;)

1st of all, I have had an opportunity to play around with the Voice recognition (NAV) AFTER the TomTom firmware update. Sorry to say that I have not seen any improvement when inputting VR directions! It remains an enigma and frustrating to use.

One of my favorite videos which I posted ed before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWRhhvf60Y

I remain perplexed as to why known problems LIKE THIS, (seemingly simple to fix in today's world of electronics,) are left unresolved, after a few years of customer complaints, and the ultimate expense to the manufacturer for warranty repair attempts that FAIL!!! (not to mention bad will created with affected customers) It is way simpler to correct problems rather than trying to win back a customer that had bad experiences!

Digressing a bit...I did go back to Subaru to to check out the 2015 model against my ex-2013 OB LTD. Amazingly, they had replaced the old VR/NAV infotainment pkg with a new one! COMPLETE AND UTTER FAIL!! The amazing part is that the OB is built in the same plant as the Toyota Camry, in Indiana. Seems as though they could walk over to the Toyota side and ask a few questions...Especially since Toyota owns stock in Subaru! Of course Subaru claims their 2015 unit is identical to the Toyota one that WORKS. The Mazda VR is a bit superior the the OB VR, but that really does not say much! (sorry for the mini rant(hi))

Preface: Even though I had an inkling of the few CX-5 issues, mostly Nav Issues, prior to my purchase; These would not have influenced my ultimate decision to buy the Mazda!!. The spontaneous windshield cracking WAS/IS a bit more important to me, especially since my GT has both rain sense wipers and the SCBS, my Comprehensive Insurance does cover Glass, but carries a $500 deductible. Bet that sucker costs a pretty penny!(boom02)

If the CX-5 was NOT such a blast to drive, I would have wound up with a CRV..(boring but otherwise nice!) If it really gets to me after a few years, this could always be solved by adding a nice middle of the road aftermarket HU!

I have tried to read all posts regarding the USB in my new 2015 CX-5 GT /Nav. I remain a bit confused about a few points listed below.
My dealer plays the TSB unknown game so I would like to be fully prepared to lead them down the correct path.

1) does the module listed in TSN 09-008-15 correct the issue where the USB music stick always begins at the 1st track after power up?
2)I saw that entering code 38 on the radio, will show the current firmware version # in existing module? If so, how do you enter the code???

Thoughts from those who had this fix completed..
My phone is an Android and NOT an Iphone. Have not seen any reports of SMS being fixed for Android.

Last edited:
1) Yes, the updated GHP9-66-DH0Z module listed on the TSN does correct the USB stick 1st Track resume issue
2) No idea, but I'm sure someone else does.

BTW Voice Recognition on the system is poor... period.

1) Yes, the updated GHP9-66-DH0Z module listed on the TSN does correct the USB stick 1st Track resume issue
2) No idea, but I'm sure someone else does.

BTW Voice Recognition on the system is poor... period.

Great...Something is better than nothing!(hear ya)

VR should be a winner by now for all manufacturers. If a relatively cheaply made Hyundai can do it...there is no excuse!

Ok... BT functionality and reliability is growing on me. It does feel like a substantial upgrade compared to previous module.

Sounds like I am going in for an update too!

Ok... BT functionality and reliability is growing on me. It does feel like a substantial upgrade compared to previous module.

OK...If Kedis82ZE8 says says it works, then I am in as well!

Just made an appt for next Monday.
I really got on my dealer today since I was just in for Nav issues. The service writer said there was no "fix" for all the issues I was having. HA!

I presume the TSB is still SB09-008-15, or has it been superseded?

Now I have to travel to the dealer once again, so they can "experience the issue" then they will hopefully order the correct module, then go in once more to have it installed!
The writer wanted the entire day to "properly diagnose the problem" until I read him the SB where .2 hrs were allotted for the installation.

He knew I was not a happy camper and offered me a loaner, which I declined in favor of waiting this time. Will save the loaner offer for future!
Me thinks this dealer is not so good...Unfortunately they are it unless I want to travel out of state! UGGH, I am screwed!

Last edited:
It should still be the same TSB... I emailed the Mazdahandsfree website and got a case number. I was able to give the case number to dealer, they ordered the part and then I scheduled appt for install.

OK...If Kedis82ZE8 says says it works, then I am in as well!

Just made an appt for next Monday.
I really got on my dealer today since I was just in for Nav issues. The service writer said there was no "fix" for all the issues I was having. HA!

I presume the TSB is still SB09-008-15, or has it been superseded?

Now I have to travel to the dealer once again, so they can "experience the issue" then they will hopefully order the correct module, then go in once more to have it installed!
The writer wanted the entire day to "properly diagnose the problem" until I read him the SB where .2 hrs were allotted.
Me thinks this dealer is not so good...Unfortunately they are it unless I want to travel out of state! UGGH, I am screwed!

Last edited:
I went to Mazdahandsfree and got stuck at the page were it asks for your phone model to pair??? It is paired already and did not see where to email them for a case #?

My dealer would probably not pay attention anyway so I will let them do it I guess.

I did D/L the update file for Gracenote...will install it shortly! Thanks again!

I wish it were otherwise, as it would probably save me at least one trip! Would you believe that they do not give out their email addy to customers...Amazing even for Reno LOL.

Addition:
Well, I surrender...Gracenote update FAILS with USB error. Tried it on my Imac as well as a PC...No Joy; and I tried all of the sectors from 4096 up!

Last edited:
Must not be my night

Hmmm, that link gave a "Page Not Found" error!

Thanks for the try...time to get some zzz and play again tomorrow! Being retired does have a few advantages LOL.

It is nice to be able to devote a room to computers! Have a desktop, laptop pc (w7 and w8.1 (will be trying w10 on the laptop soon)), and of course the iMac!
BTW: 10.10.3 is working out pretty well...UI lags have mysteriously vanished!

Thanks again...the link still returns a "page not found" error, so I will use the email addy and drop them a note. I still have the inspection appt. with the dealer on Monday, and either way...I shall prevail!!

Besides...the CX-5 is REALLY a kick in the ar** to drive! Forgot what it was like...LOL

Last edited:
OP here, finally got mine done.

But damn, you guys go off on tangents here. This TSB has nothing to do with Voice Recognition or TomTom Navigation.

Anyways.... Surprised you all got your modules as fast as you did. Mine took almost two weeks to get to the dealer.

So far I love it. Bluetooth lag while switching songs is practically instantaneous. Might even be possible to watch videos now and people's lips will match! USB flash drive last song resuming works also and a bit quicker to load.

I don't have an iPod or iPhone so those fixes don't matter to me.
My Nexus 6 with Android 5.1 has always worked with the SMS feature on the car using Hangouts as the default SMS app.

Last edited:
Back