Seeking Mazda AWD system design details

I'm just looking for some links to information about how the Mazda AWD (2023 NA) system works, both mechanically and electronically. Technical links would be much appreciated.

I could probably dig up some Dave Coleman tech talk videos for the 2nd gen CX-5, which is the basis for the 2023. But it wouldn't cover the recent refinements and off-road mode and such, if that's what you are after.

Murky, I'm just looking for some reading material, or videos, or diagrams, whatever to give me some insight as to how it works. I'm just a retired mechanic who enjoys reading and understand this sort of stuff. Any help would be nice.

Search Dave Coleman on youtube. And you can watch 'tests' comparing various AWD vehicles. You won't find any actual tech articles, just supposition by car geeks. Most of which is wrong. :|

The bottom line is that we don't have limited slip differentials, so mostly still a 2-wheel-drive auto (one on front axle gets full torque, one on rear axle gets (some?) torque).

FYI, my 2000 Outback had an LSD, and it made a huge difference in deep snow, pulling a snowmobile trailer and two sleds (on lake ice).

Also the new offroad mode on 2022-2023 is quite clever software mode.
I tried it recently on sand and it works with the diagonal test like in this video below. It does brake each wheel separately to achieve this.
Its not a tacoma like offroader, it is still a
city small crossover sbut it could get you going where other cuv awd may fail. Quite capable for what it is. With proper tires it is quite good awd.
Mazda doesnt share a lot of tech info but some Japanese sites have some docs. I have to find the links.

Last edited:
Search Dave Coleman on youtube. And you can watch 'tests' comparing various AWD vehicles. You won't find any actual tech articles, just supposition by car geeks. Most of which is wrong. :|

The bottom line is that we don't have limited slip differentials, so mostly still a 2-wheel-drive auto (one on front axle gets full torque, one on rear axle gets (some?) torque).

FYI, my 2000 Outback had an LSD, and it made a huge difference in deep snow, pulling a snowmobile trailer and two sleds (on lake ice).
I think its a lot more sophisticated than that statement suggests. From my recollection, it uses a lot of sensing input and calculation to infer conditions and can apply braking to each wheel independently in addition to adjusting the relative front/rear power distribution. And they do talk those details.

from limited youtube videos i have watched (does that make me an expert? lol) the off road mode seems to work like subaru's x-mode.

also, subaru's awd seem to work better on tests used in the videos but are probably not that much different in real life where tires, tire placement, and ground clearance play a more important role.

Back