Seeking info on Protege reliability

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? Ill also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

This forum has been helping out by running my site's banner in the regular rotation. Thanks, Antoine.

I've been collecting data on the 2002 and 2003 for a few months, but can always use more cars. I'd also like to be able to provide reliability information for earlier model years, but need more owners signed up to help out first.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments

Last edited:
Both 2000 and 2001 are now about halfway to the minimum. Thanks. I'd like to collect data on these years, so hopefully more owners will sign up to help out.

Results recently updated for the 2002 and 2003. Still looking solid.

Still interested in collecting data on earlier years, just need more participants.

Another set of results posted. The Protege continues to be thoroughly boring in terms of reliability--very low repair rates: 44 repair trips per 100 vehicles per year for the 2002, and only 26 per 100 for the 2003.

I personally own one of the 2003s. It has needed new bulbs for the headlights...minor except they're a pain to get out.

At some point, these cars are bound to require more repairs. With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to closely track them as they age.

Additional participants would be very helpful, especially for the 2002 and earlier. We're just a few cars short of the minimum with the 1999, 2000, and 2001.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Updated results were posted recently. The 2002 and 2003 Protege5 continue to be "better than average," though the 2002 repair rate has increased a bit.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With additional participants we could include more model years and provide more precise results.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the Protege:

Mazda Protege reliability comparisons

Reminds me--still need to nip that rust in the bud.

Anyway, we'll have those updated results this week. The sample size of the 2002 was right at the minimum. Earlier model years we still don't have enough of.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Car reliability research

We have updated results for the Protege to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003: 44, better than average

2002-2002.5: 53, better than average

A big thanks to Antoine, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. This time around we were one response short of the minimum for the 2002.

Just noticed rust around the wheel openings of my 2003 P5, and suddenly hearing a number of similar reports. A widespread problem with the Protege and P5? I'll certainly be looking into this.

Help us provide the best possible reliability info on these cars:

Car reliability research

Just noticed rust around the wheel openings of my 2003 P5, and suddenly hearing a number of similar reports. A widespread problem with the Protege and P5? I'll certainly be looking into this.

Help us provide the best possible reliability info on these cars:

Car reliability research

I have a rust bubble on the rear right fender. Unsure if this is +1 account of the issue, or if you're looking for something else.

The sense I'm getting is that nearly all of these cars rust prematurely where road salt is used. Suddenly the repeated headlight failures seem less serious.

We have updated results for the Protege to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003: 43, better than average

2002-2002.5: 69, better than average

A big thanks, once again, to Antoine, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February.

Updated results again next month.

We're going to start providing new stats for the odds of requiring no repairs and the odds of getting a lemon. These require larger sample sizes, so additional participants would be helpful.

For the details, and to sign up:

Car reliability research

We have updated results for the Protege to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003: 57, better than average

2002-2002.5: 79, better than average

2001: 179, worse than average

Very small sample size for the 2001, which might explain the much higher reported repair rate. Or these cars take a turn for the worse after 100k miles.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2003, the percentage with no repairs is about 57, and the percentage of lemons is about 3.

Nada-odds and Lemon-odds car reliability stats

A big thanks, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May.

I smoked the tranny/diff on my 99 1.8L 5-spd by doing burnouts/wot around bumpy turns....suspension is typical jap econocar pop can strength so parts need replacing more often(living in the land of ruts and pot holes) the electrical stuff on my car has become haunted and I see ghosts from time to time, must be radiation from the bomb we dropped on hiroshima where these cars were built lol.but otherwise these cars are dammed tanks!! light armor but tanks non the less!! Everyone I know with a toyota or honda seem to burning oil and burning up the cooling system more often and with less miles lol.

We have updated results for the Protege to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2003: 55, better than average

2002-2002.5: 75, better than average

2001: 146, worse than average

Very small sample size for the 2001, which might explain the much higher reported repair rate. Or these cars take a turn for the worse after 100k miles.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2003, the percentage with no repairs is about 52, and the percentage of lemons is about 7.

Nada-odds and Lemon-odds car reliability stats

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August.

Back