Secrets to removing EGR??

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
I had no idea getting the EGR valve off was going to be such a pain. I got one bolt out, but am having a hard time with the second. Any secrets or tips? I quit working on it todaylack of patience and daylightgonna attack it agin tomorrow...

no secret its a b**** to get to just keep at it. If you can get someone with smaller hands to get in there

Some people just take off the whole intake manifold and take the butterflies out while they have it all off

use a stubby wrench, take the battery out, remove the intake tube and its pretty easy. took me about 5 minutes once the intake and battery was outta the way! hardest thing to do is line up the new gasket blindly.

You must have whopper junior hands :p lol I took out my battery, battery tray, intake, strut tower bar and just barely got to it. It didn't help the bolts were rusted and slightly rounded off. I'm thinkin about doin an egr delete maybe

I took the intake tube off, the battery isn't really all that in the way, but I'll try taking that out too I guess…mine are also really rusty. I tried sprayin WD-40 all over it yesterday, just hard to get leverage on the bolt with so little room. :/ If I get it off, I sure hope it solves my rough idle issue!!! PITA

Maybe air ratchet? Idk if it will fit but you cant risk breaking the bolts. And use pb blaster instead of wd40

I have no problem doing the EGR, just have to remove the cold pipe or do it from under the car. Just 2 12mm bolts, I put the bolts through the holes in the EGR and put the gasket on to line it up as I install it. I can easily reach under there and get the two bolts out.

is it easier to reach from underneath? I tried recently to go in from above, but I couldn't fit a wrench, even after removing the intake tube.

I finally got it off…scraped up knuckles and all. Just gonna replace it, totally rusted and couldn't get it apart to clean without hacking it apart. Can you say ebay? I hate spending money on parts instead up modding, oh well, hopefully it will run smoother.

I thought I read somewhere of someone doin it, maybe egr pipe replaced with breather filter on the egr (I think that's what it was). My bad y'all! Lol

I thought I read somewhere of someone doin it, maybe egr pipe replaced with breather filter on the egr (I think that's what it was). My bad y'all! Lol

yeah thats really it, plug it on the exhaust mani, and put a breather on the intake side.

I'm thinkin about doin an egr delete maybe

Interested in the egr delete

Don't do this, the EGR system is there for a reason. Simply adding a breather isn't a good idea because you'll end up running lean when the valve opens since that air will enter the intake after the MAF. Exhaust gas is relatively inert and its presence is compensated for by the ECU.

There are also some interesting benefits to having an EGR system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egr#EGR_in_spark-ignited_engines

Try 1/4 inch drive ratchet. Had no trouble but didn't have rust either.

That's how I did it too, after removing the strut bar and the battery it was relatively easy to get in there with a small 1/4" ratchet.

For what its worth, I did run the breather filter, for less than 3000 miles. No cel for me.

Back