SCCA stock class legal aftermarket rims?

SWPutnam

:
2008 MS3 TRUE RED
Other than buying another set of stock rims, what rims are you running in 18 x7 and with what tire size?

Thanks, Steve

I have a set of 18x8 235/40 profile but my fenders are rolled in the back and I have cobb springs and sways so there is no rubbing there was a little rubbing in the front with 235 rubber on stock suspension . I'm not sure that tires and rims matter in stock class as long as they fit without any kind of body modification like rolling the fenders and the are DOT legal . But I''m not sure .

Stock class, you can't change the tire at all. Rims have to stay within +25mm offset of stock, but any other rims are ok.

Our stock rims seem to generally be ok for racing, The tires seem to be plenty ridgid and I would assume most people who are racing stock class are relatively new and wouldn't notice a difference.

if you want my suggestion on a nice set, try the Kosei K1 TS. They are 16 lbs at 18x7 putting them 8 lbs lighter than stock.

One of the other things to think about and someone brought this up in a previous post is the ridgidity of wheels, although I doubt it will be making a big difference with the power & weight of our car.

Stock class, you can't change the tire at all. Rims have to stay within +25mm offset of stock, but any other rims are ok.

I would assume most people who are racing stock class are relatively new and wouldn't notice a difference.

if you want my suggestion on a nice set, try the Kosei K1 TS. They are 16 lbs at 18x7 putting them 8 lbs lighter than stock.

Thanks for the suggestion of Kosei, that is what I was looking for as long as they are within the offset range.

SCCA solo2 stock classes allow R-compound tires in any size that will fit on the "from factory" wheel size with the offset alowance you stated.

The two autox clubs I am in have seperate stock classes and a PAX'ed Tire stock class for people that are not changing to R-compound tires at the event or trailer their car there. (DS & TDS)

Please don't equate stock classes with new to autocrossing. I've got over ten years in the sport and am playing in DS while my EMod Sprite is getting it's rotary rebuilt. I have friends who have 30+ years running on street tires.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

18x7.5

Original Price:

Now 13% Off:
$275 (each)
$239 Closeout $239 (each) Closeout
Price:
$0 (each) Closeout
See price in cart Offset: 50mm
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size: 215/45-18
**Lightweight: 16.0lbs.**

After looking at tirerack these are 7.5 wide and are illegal for SCCA solo2 stock class.

Steve

I am sorry, I did not actually check if they had them in 7". I don't really have any suggestions for the same width. Maybe someone else can give you a suggestion, but as far as stock class is concerned, its hard to find 18x7" around. I dont know of any other than MSWs.

Please don't equate stock classes with new to autocrossing. I've got over ten years in the sport and am playing in DS while my EMod Sprite is getting it's rotary rebuilt. I have friends who have 30+ years running on street tires.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

I apologize.

One of the only affordable wheels available in 18x7 with the correct offset was unfortunately recently discontinued -- the Kazera KZV.

To quote someone from another forum (spelling and all):

Volk or Fikse can make most sizes youd want(Along with other premium wheel makers), but the cost can get rediculous

Thanks for the suggestion of Kosei, that is what I was looking for as long as they are within the offset range.

SCCA solo2 stock classes allow R-compound tires in any size that will fit on the "from factory" wheel size with the offset alowance you stated.

The two autox clubs I am in have seperate stock classes and a PAX'ed Tire stock class for people that are not changing to R-compound tires at the event or trailer their car there. (DS & TDS)

Thanks for the help!
Steve

Now that I am not nearly as drunk as previously, I wanted to say that I dont think the people in stock are newbs. Also, just because you are running stock tires or street tires doesn't mean you are new. I do apologize for my association, it was very stereotypical, but in my autocross area (Raleigh, North Carolina), most people running stock are very new. I did not mean it in a derogatory manner.

Also, lynx is right, I went looking at another mazda 3 forum and a specific and very experenced driver was running the kazeras, I would suggest them but it would seem that lynx is right and the kazeras are no longer available.

Vord,

No apologizes nescessary. Looks like I may have to buy new everyday wheels and use the stock for some A6's.

Shame on Mazda for undersizing our wheels...

Steve

Vord,

No apologizes nescessary. Looks like I may have to buy new everyday wheels and use the stock for some A6's.

Shame on Mazda for undersizing our wheels...

Steve

+1

For the life of me I can't understand why the **** Mazda put sissy ass wheels and tires on this car!

ms3077, isn't it always about compromise for the manufacturer. to grab the market share. Do not forget that Mazdaspeed offered almost every upgrade a performance enthusiast would want. Maybe not extreme but balanced for sure. Did you you ever read the Edmunds Inside Line review of our car with all the Mazdaspeed parts installed? Pretty impressive handling and stopping. I believe that they used 225/40 at the race course. With an aggressive tire the car does very well in the twisties and hard start/ stops in my personal exp. The car isn't that far away from being fairly serious from the factory, just my 2 cents again.

Back