RX-8 won't start...Please Help!

well when i talked to the service manager today, i also asked him about the rx-8. He said there is a recall on them or the motors on all the rx-8's no matter what year.

I had the starter and plugs replaced via the TSB. There is a noticable difference in how it cranks over now... very quick. Definite recommendation.

Make sure and tell any place you bring the car to that is not familiar with rotaries that it shouldn't be turned off cold. My body shop flooded my 8 horribly. Clogged cat followed.

Does flooding the engine normally kill the cat?

One episode shouldn't do it. Sounds like there were issues beforehand (like running rich) that built up over time.

4 years to SC said:
I had the starter and plugs replaced via the TSB. There is a noticable difference in how it cranks over now... very quick. Definite recommendation.

Make sure and tell any place you bring the car to that is not familiar with rotaries that it shouldn't be turned off cold. My body shop flooded my 8 horribly. Clogged cat followed.

Does flooding the engine normally kill the cat?

you CAN shut off a cold rotary but only if you rev it up and shut it off.. like I already said

and yes, a fuel fouled cat CAN kill it... it just depends on how badly flooded it is.... doesn't matter anyway, the recall will cover it or at least your emissions warranty

TheMAN said:
you CAN shut off a cold rotary but only if you rev it up and shut it off.. like I already said

and yes, a fuel fouled cat CAN kill it... it just depends on how badly flooded it is.... doesn't matter anyway, the recall will cover it or at least your emissions warranty

Right but if it is an aftermarket like the RP or SR... SOL

That is money I won't get back so I may just knock it out and put a resonator so I can have a few more horses when I go to the track. :)

(I reinstalled the stock cat, because I lost power when driving down the freeway, the engine stalled when I stopped right after that had happened). Code I pulled wth the CanScan was faulty cat. No problems since.

lt.dan - check ur spark plugs after holding the gas pedal to the floor when trying to start an already flooded car!!

lt.dan - check ur spark plugs after holding the gas pedal to the floor when trying to start an already flooded car!!

back from the dead? Unless this has happened to you 10 or 11 times, your plugs should be fine.

Dan

ok on a gen 2 13b would all the things you all are saying be in affect? i just replaced my fuel filter(needed ti but not the problem) and shes turning over but not catching. ive tried all the procedures that everyones said(except plugs, dont have plug socket), and its still not firing. and i dont have a steep enough hill to drop the clutch. HELP!!!!! ITS MY ONLY CAR AND I HAVE TO WORK!!!!!!

ok on a gen 2 13b would all the things you all are saying be in affect? i just replaced my fuel filter(needed ti but not the problem) and shes turning over but not catching. ive tried all the procedures that everyones said(except plugs, dont have plug socket), and its still not firing. and i dont have a steep enough hill to drop the clutch. HELP!!!!! ITS MY ONLY CAR AND I HAVE TO WORK!!!!!!

you need to replace the plugs, they're probably fouled beyond repair by this point.

maybe try rx7club.com or teamfc3s.org for more FC-related assistance? They probably know more about it than people here

thanks. so far thats the bast response ive gotten since she died about sunday.

Step 1.
Go to Napa.

Buy the following plugs:

NGK
Bur9eq (two of them)
Bur7eq (two of them)

Buy spark plug socket (13/16").

Step 2.
Go home, pull out all plugs. Crank over engine a few times while killing injectors (gas pedal to the floor) and with no plugs in it. (don't be afraid of cloud of smoke and gas vapour)

Step 3.
Put in the new plugs. Start car.

We race 2nd gen rx7. We've flooded it more times than I can count because it's a cranky, carbureted, premixed, VP Racing C12 running bastard. We buy plugs in bulk (boxes of 10 each). This is our remedy (except we're carbureted and have a separate switch for the fuel pump and stuff -- but the gas pedal to floor will kill your fuel).

Next time, make sure your car warms up. And if you need to shut it down before it is completely warm (and it's even a good rule if it is warm), rev it to 4,000rpm for 5 seconds and shut off the car, take your foot off the gas, and let it spin itself down.

Last edited:
For the RX-8 you want these.

NGK-
RE7CL
RE9BT

RX7 plugs BUR-7EQP has a shorter reach of 19mm vs 21mm for the RE7CL. Also NAPA is expensive around my area. $25 per plug. Advanced Auto Parts sells for $20.

For the RX-8 you want these.

NGK-
RE7CL
RE9BT

RX7 plugs BUR-7EQP has a shorter reach of 19mm vs 21mm for the RE7CL. Also NAPA is expensive around my area. $25 per plug. Advanced Auto Parts sells for $20.

Yep you're right. :) I was just giving instructions for the person with the 2nd Gen Rx7 but it's good to have the RX8 plug number in here too.

I just said Napa because we only have Napa and Carquest where I live (eastern canada).

thank you soooooo much!!!!yea i pulled the plugs and they were "dead". waiting on the store to get delivered the plugs. hopefully this will fix it. lol

No problem. :) Hope it fixes the problem! 99% sure it will. :)

Ok, i changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter. and shes still doing the same thing. Turning over but not catching. could it be the injectors or coils? Or could it be that its been sitting a week and its freakin cold? I was thinking bout pushing/pulling the car and trying to drop the clutch. Any ideas?

Back