Rust issues

L0w_N_sl0w

:
Mazda,Protege5
Tonight when checking the oil in my car I noticed rust. The location of the rust is on the passenger side below the strut tower by the motor mount. This to me seems to be alarming due to the large amount of corrosion. I have noticed the rust before but didn't realize the extent of the rust. I'm looking at replacing the motor but am second guessing myself wether it'll be worth it now. Can this rust be fixed or is my protege doomed? I'm in a tough spot and need a honest answer.

Thanks.

You are probably better off selling it private party at this point (if that's what you wanna do). Unless the dealer has some kind of crazy rebate/owner loyalty/etc. going on, their offer will be almost non-existent.

Sadly that is one of the prime spots for rust on our cars. :( Not sure how bad your is but you may be able to save it for awhile. Check out the link for what I did last summer. I know it's not the 'best fix' but it was easy on the wallet and should help slow down the disease...I hope. Sadly for me, I found the hole after I had the engine swapped. :/

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...our-P5-today&p=6215440&viewfull=1#post6215440

How's the fix holding up CTt3? The makeshift fix looks really good for being on a budget...so kudos to you on that :)

I wouldn't feel right selling the car private party, I don't want to leave someone else in the same situation. Now the dealer will more then likely send it to auction so It doesn't bother me trading it in. When I was thinking about leasing a new mazda3 they appraised my car at $2500. I have another 3k sitting around for my engine swap that'll have to contribute to a new car. $5500 is hardly anything when it comes to buying a used car from a dealer. The only other option is to run it into a snow bank! Lol

I wouldn't feel right selling the car private party, I don't want to leave someone else in the same situation. Now the dealer will more then likely send it to auction so It doesn't bother me trading it in. When I was thinking about leasing a new mazda3 they appraised my car at $2500. I have another 3k sitting around for my engine swap that'll have to contribute to a new car. $5500 is hardly anything when it comes to buying a used car from a dealer. The only other option is to run it into a snow bank! Lol

that is the thing that is stopping me from getting a new mazda3 2.0. i test drove it. it only felt slightly faster then my pro5, sure it has all the little improvement, safety, quieter, tech,
but not sure if it was enough for me to spend 22k. as the gas mileage is the same, space seem to be less, maint is the same. the new car excitement onlly last about 1 year. the protege has more comfortable seats.... and as it is older car i care less for ding and dents.... and that is priceless

How's the fix holding up CTt3? The makeshift fix looks really good for being on a budget...so kudos to you on that :)

So far so good. Changed the oil last weekend and the epoxy is holding up nicely. Now once spring rolls around I've got to do the same to the PS rear qtr. Right now I've got duct tape and bubble wrap stuffed in the jack compartment keeping the fumes out of a hole I caused by poking my finger around. That was my dumbass move of the year.

I feel the same. Buddy has told me to sell it as-is with mods and try to get 4K for it but I don't feel right doing it. I'd disclose everything and I know then that I won't get close to 4K. I've got $3800 invested into the engine though so trying to keep her on the road to make that money back. If you aren't too picky on the car you want and the fine print doesn't screw ya, look out for those clunker deals. Right now the Kia dealer in town is advertising a 'rock solid minimum' of 6K for your trade no matter how much you owe or how old it is. I'm not sure of the details but I've been tempted to stop in and ask.

the new car excitement onlly last about 1 year. the protege has more comfortable seats.... and as it is older car i care less for ding and dents.... and that is priceless

I don't know about the new Mazda 3, but the Protege's seats are definatly more comfortable than the 2004 to 2009 model seats. I used to have to pull over and get out of the car sometimes on my way home from work just to get some releif from the pain in my legs.

As for new car excitement... I try not to pay much attention to that... by the second year of owning our 2009 Mazda 3, I was paying out of pocket to fix rusted shift linkages, screwed up brakes and other parts conveniently excluded by the Mazda Added Protection warranty's terms and conditions... I've had much better luck with used cars.

Rust Picutres

I took some pictures of the rusted area's. What do you think?

Attachments

• rust2.JPG
    rust2.JPG
    607.4 KB · Views: 198
  • rust1.JPG
    rust1.JPG
    682.4 KB · Views: 203
  • rust3.JPG
    rust3.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 186
  • rust4.jpg
    rust4.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 195
I don't know about the new Mazda 3, but the Protege's seats are definatly more comfortable than the 2004 to 2009 model seats. I used to have to pull over and get out of the car sometimes on my way home from work just to get some releif from the pain in my legs.

the protege seat is a 8 way adjustable seat vs the new and old 3 only has a 6 way..... it makes a difference

2009 Mazda3 GT has 8 way. i was very disappointed that there was no 8-way seat for this year 3s.

I took some pictures of the rusted area's. What do you think?

i had surface rust in the same location, i was able to stop it, mine was just on the paint, i discovered quick enough, my battery was leaking and the acid was eating it away, so check your battery. i then got a sealed battery and never had it rust again.

The rust that appears in his pics are on the passenger side, not the driver's side where the battery leaking would affect.

Back