Running extremely rich. Please help me out!

ugadogs_11

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
Alright, so I recently go the Cobb TIP and ever since I have installed it my car has been running extremely rich. I drove easily for the first couple hundred miles and it has been puffing out black smoke and sputtering when ever I shift gears and get back on the throttle. I ran a data log with the dashhawk and around 5300 RPMs it is at 9.5 Air Fuel Ratio. I was hopping someone could tell me something I could do to help fix this issue. The mods are in my sig of everything I have done to it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Austin

running rich would involve a leak somewhere post turbo pre throttle body. it would only be in boost situations though where the air could leak out causing you to run rich. check all your connections on your intercooler, it might just be you forgot to tighten something down.

I have checked multiple times. I checked all the places where I might have disconnected while I installed the pipe. I did notice that I am not hitting the same amount of boost that I ran with the stock pipe. Maybe there is a leak somewhere that I don't know of. Is there an easy method to finding leaks?

Are you sure you didn't over tighten the clamps on the TIP? Because if you over tighten them the metal insert tends to bend out of shape which might cause the boost leak. Take out your TIP and look at the metal insert(s) if they are bent out of shape you might try to bend it back to the correct form.

See if your filter has a built in internal velocity stack... if it doesn't, get one that does.

That has nothing to do with his car blowing black smoke and running rich. I have the PG SRI and TIP, the filter doesn't have a velocity stack, and my car is running fine.

Last edited:
Are you sure you didn't over tighten the clamps on the TIP? Because if you over tighten them the metal insert tends to bend out of shape which might cause the boost leak. Take out your TIP and look at the metal insert(s) if they are bent out of shape you might try to bend it back to the correct form.

That has nothing to do with his car blowing black smoke and running rich. I have the PG SRI and TIP, the filter doesn't have a velocity stack, and my car is running fine.

yea i agree ..the problem started with the inlet install so either you bent the metal inserts or you maybe dont have your boost control vacuum line on right. you may also want to pressure test the inlet like bova did in his review http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123732495

Personally I think the metal insert is a design flaw by Cobb, I think Cobb should look into using a thicker or higher quality metal for the metal inserts. The metal inserts should be able to handle not only the regular pipe clamps but also T-clamps as well.

You indeed have a leak somewhere, however, if it were post-maf pre-turbo it would be a lean condition, unless the car is just dumping fuel in to compensate for lean AFRs. To the comment that these cars learn pretty well... I would say that is an incomplete answer. Yes, they can compensate for changes in the VE of the engine with breathing modifications, but it won't make you any faster. The only way to increase performance is to increase boost pressure. Adding an intake or a downpipe will not do this in any appreciable way, you need tuning to do this properly, this is why we stress tuning and is what our company is based on. Hard parts are all fine and well, but increased airflow is the only way to increase power. Bolt-ons will not accomplish this in of themselves.

I have to install some hangers today, so maybe I will also take the TIP off and make sure it is not bent or anything. Im guessing it might be, I never thought it could bend so I tightened it all the way. I didnt want any leaks.

Back