Roof rack or NO roof rack, that is the question

Rack filler strips

trbomp5 said:
No rack, and the filler strips installed. When i took off the last of my rack and replaced it with the fillers it made the car look way lower, more sleek. Those things stuck up still about 2".

Where can I find the rack filler strips? is there any stores online?

I like the look of the rack. I'm trying to find a set of crossbars to complete it. I bought the car it didn't have cross bars, but I like the look of them.

outlaw_mp5 said:
Where can I find the rack filler strips? is there any stores online?
Find a canadian to trade with. Thats what i did. They did not have the racks up there. Plus if you buy the american fillers they do not have the removable covers to pu the canada specific rack on if you choose to.

look closely and you can see the little square covers on the fillers. Under them are the mounts for the rack
filler%20strips.JPG

Last edited:
I tried to find a canadian to trade with for 2 weeks, settled on going to the dealership. It's costly, but you got the part numbers (found in thread) and you know you can get them. Try everything you can before you resort to the dealership, or your wallet will be cussing at you.

lose the rack...its added drag. unless of course you kayak or like driving witha bike on the roof of your car. (shocked)

NJP5Guy said:
lose the rack...its added drag. unless of course you kayak or like driving witha bike on the roof of your car. (shocked)

I for one really like driving with a bike on the roof of my car. I think it adds another aspect to the "Sporting" nature of the protege5.

IT's funny to me how having a rack is even a question. My yakima rack is such a part of me that rack-ability actually played a part in picking my car. no factory rack was a bonus because it would've just been in the way. Actually it's the same rack I've had for the past 10years. just got new clips for the P5. How and where I live I'm always toting a bike or board or shovels or whathaveyou. screw cosmetics, or drag or whatever else ppl have to say, it's necessity for some people, period... I for one think my car looks naked without it, however.

Poseur said:
IT's funny to me how having a rack is even a question. My yakima rack is such a part of me that rack-ability actually played a part in picking my car. no factory rack was a bonus because it would've just been in the way. Actually it's the same rack I've had for the past 10years. just got new clips for the P5. How and where I live I'm always toting a bike or board or shovels or whathaveyou. screw cosmetics, or drag or whatever else ppl have to say, it's necessity for some people, period... I for one think my car looks naked without it, however.

Knowing I was going to get a roof rack was the reason I chose to get a wagon. The reason I chose the P5 was cuz it was just flat out better than all the other wagons.

i guess i was lucky in toronto... my car didn't have a roof rack. i think it looks more sleek without one. of course, i ended up buying a Thule rack to hold snowboards and skis.....

I like the roof rack... If the P5 rack fit the sedan I'd look into getting one. It's got that 'outdoor guy' sort of look, hold my snowboard or whatever else. They're a pretty stylish roof rack.

Drag seems like a pretty silly thing to even consider.

Last edited:
I have a Thule on my 86 323 and i agree on some cars it looks right. My 323 looks wierd with it off. And i liked the one on my P5 when i first got it. But when you start smoothing and shaving and lowering, and monocroming the whole car out, the rack looks out of place.

Last edited:
Yea, I just got done removing mine. I like it better without. It is a wagon, but I still like it to look "sleek". It's going to rain, so I haven't gotten a chance to wash/shine the car yet. We'll see.

Keep that s**** on! Looks good on. Gives it a little bit of a rugged look. Plus works great for snow boards. If there is no room inside.

I like 'em bald, personally.

But, just as posted before, I agree that if you are to lower/monochrome/etc. the car is going to look better with the rack and rails gone. I am even considering removing the rear spoiler. Anyone done this?

Looks goofy with it off. I had mine off when I fixed the rattling from the stereo and it looked wierd.

Back