Roof Rack or Cargo Bag?

RonK

2021 CX-9 GT
Which is better? My 2021 Cx9 has the side rails already. Should I go with cross rails and then use a cargo rack or are the cargo bags that just sit on the "no-slip" mats just as good?

The cargo bags seem convenient but I personally won't put much weight on the roof, not to mention the inevitable scuffing the paint will get through repeated use.

If you're willing to spend extra, I'd go with OEM rails and a good roof cargo box.

Cargo bags have the risk if not being 100% waterproof. Obviously a lot cheaper though. So if it is to use once or twice roof bag are fine, but for repeated use or heavier load rails and cargo box for sure.

Cargo bags have the risk if not being 100% waterproof. Obviously a lot cheaper though. So if it is to use once or twice roof bag are fine, but for repeated use or heavier load rails and cargo box for sure.
Yes, anything OEM is gonna be too expensive. Owners should be rewarded with less than or equal to average pricing when it comes to buying accessories.

Well in that regards the OEM rails are significantly cheaper than Thule and Yakima rails. But you can find cheaper stuff than OEM as well. I would say the OEM rails are smack in the middle. One thing to know about the OEM stuff is that they are slightly curved, so not as good to carry flat load.

Well in that regards the OEM rails are significantly cheaper than Thule and Yakima rails. But you can find cheaper stuff than OEM as well. I would say the OEM rails are smack in the middle. One thing to know about the OEM stuff is that they are slightly curved, so not as good to carry flat load.
Here's one that looks promising

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-03 221842.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 221842.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 41
Back