Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

yeah..I can only tilt the roof now that I have the fairing installed....2 inches higher would prevent me from loading up my yakima cargo box in the garage and still be able to drive out though...haha I have 1 mm of clearance at the moment!

Does anyone have any pics of a cargo box plus one (or even two) bikes on a standard width rack? Is this even possible? Pics would be great. Thanks.

The Inno Rack fits on our '12. I test fitted them and drove around for a couple of days before taking them off. They are very noisy, but we are not going to have them on full time. I took off the cross bars but left the roof attachments on (it comes with a small plastic cap to fit over the attachments) as I will be using the Thule Medium Cargo Box for traveling over the Memorial W/E and I did not want to re-install everything. I will take if completely off after the trip. The Box should fit on the cross bars as it is adjustable.

The Inno Rack fits on our '12. I test fitted them and drove around for a couple of days before taking them off. They are very noisy, but we are not going to have them on full time. I took off the cross bars but left the roof attachments on (it comes with a small plastic cap to fit over the attachments) as I will be using the Thule Medium Cargo Box for traveling over the Memorial W/E and I did not want to re-install everything. I will take if completely off after the trip. The Box should fit on the cross bars as it is adjustable.

Thanks Gil, was that the Inno rack for the 2010? I'm planning on doing the same thing for a trip in July.

So the racks for the 2010 model WILL fit on the 2012?

I have installed the 2010 Inno rack on my 2012. They are really noisy. My wife hates it. I'm going to have to try the fairing to attempt to minimize the noise.
Also, the two bars are at slightly different angles from each other. I don't think it matters structurally, but it looks a bit "off" to me.
Can't say I'm completely happy, but we'll see what happens when I add the basket and the fairing.

--mike

FYI, ORSracksdirect.com is having a special sale on Inno racks. Their price for the IN-XR system (silver or black) is $166.48 with free shipping. You can also use coupon code INNO10 to get 10% off that price, for a total of $149.83. Just ordered mine. Can't beat that price!

Dave
Thanks for the tip but I think the sale is over?! :(

Anyone have the silver rack on a silver Mazda5 -pics?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/orsracksdirect_2153_52821294

Last edited:
I have installed the 2010 Inno rack on my 2012. They are really noisy. My wife hates it. I'm going to have to try the fairing to attempt to minimize the noise.
Also, the two bars are at slightly different angles from each other. I don't think it matters structurally, but it looks a bit "off" to me.
Can't say I'm completely happy, but we'll see what happens when I add the basket and the fairing.

--mike

I bought some thin black rubber cord and spiraled it around the front crossbar, and it completely eliminates the howling. I don't think this is a problem unique to the Inno racks, since I think Thules' square bars have the same issue.

I ended up taking my racks off like you, and just leaving the brackets in place (I did it to save gas since I don't plan on using my rack that often).

really. I have the inno racks, thule bike racks and don't find it very noisy, there is some noise, but not much what accessories do you have mounted on the rack?

So, anybody with a sort of a silver M5 with Washington state plates and a Yakima roof rack set up with long cross-bars and 3 Yakima bike trays that was driving through Lincoln City, Oregon, Saturday evening, June 4th about 8:15 PM?

If you were, you pulled out in front of me headed south and went about 1/2 mile then turned off to the west side of Hwy 101. I couldn't read the license number...sort of had a smoked plastic cover over the plate.

Oh, and it looked like it had a DVD player/screen mounted in the overhead, so you probably have some kids?

I ended up taking my racks off like you, and just leaving the brackets in place (I did it to save gas since I don't plan on using my rack that often).

Just curious, do you keep track of your avg mpg with and without the rack on? I do and the difference in my mpg is much smaller than I thought. I've owned my 5 for 2 years and have 80 fillups in my dataset and have driven approx half time with my Yakima rack and half without. I suffer only a .4 mpg decrease with my rack on (and probably could be better if I swapped my 58" crossbars for 48").

Our Inno was delivered yesterday so I installed it last night. I got 50" bars which I think are perfect, just a little extra room so if needed I can slide them to one side or the other and mount a bike outboard the stays. I'm swinging by a friend's house tonight to buy a couple of bike mounts from his collection that he doesn't use anymore and then we'll be ready to take 3 bikes on a camping trip this weekend.

That's what I thought at first but the write-up says, "The system comes with 2 cross bars 51" long, 4 lowriders towers, and locks & keys." I'm under the impression that the "lowrider towers" are the mounts.

That's what I thought at first but the write-up says, "The system comes with 2 cross bars 51" long, 4 lowriders towers, and locks & keys." I'm under the impression that the "lowrider towers" are the mounts.

if the pictures are anything to believe, it mounts to the factory rails, which the mazda5 does not have. as ambiguous as the product seems to be, i would steer clear.

What size rails has everyone been going with. Could anyone post pictures of their 46inch 50 inch rack. Trying to decide what bars to go with... thanks!

I'm pretty sure that the 50 inch bars are the ones you want. at least that was the recommended size for the inno bars I purchased

Inno with 50" bars. 46" will fit and look cleaner I'm sure, but I like the extra flexibility of the 50". You could go bigger too.

IMG_2668.JPG

Back