reverse shift gate

I've noticed a few times (and it's really scared me each time) that you can occasionally go straight from 5th into reverse on the manual transmission, I've had this happen 3 times in the last week during downshifts from 5th to 4th on the highway to get past someone. I'll drop down from 5th into what I think is going to be 4th and then the box opens the reverse gate with the accompanying grinding noise!!! Seems like a pretty substantial design flaw to me!!

Anyone else experience this? Seems like it might be a major potential recall item to me!

I've never had the reverse gate open on my like that. I wonder if yuo have some damage there you didn't know about.

BTW, year/trim of your 5?

Are you downshifting to 4th in a big hurry and not sliding the shift lever back towards yourself/over enough? I have a Mz3 5 speed, and would assume its the same mtx in the 3 and the 5. What you describe has never happened to me. Can you get your 5 to do this while sitting with the motor OFF? The shift gate as you call it is probably spring loaded and I usually have to move the shifter around in N a bit to get it to go into R. Suggest you try and get the tranny to do in the driveway with the motor off. If you can, then you need to get it repaired before you ruin the motor/tranny. If you can't get the tranny to do it with the motor off, then try it with the motor running, and hold the clutch in, put it in 5th, then do your "normal" downshift like you describe. Don't let the clutch out, just do the downshift routine and see if goes into R.

That's never happened to us. It's also never happened to me with any other MT car I've owned. I just assumed that all modern cars have a reverse gear lockout that prevents this from happening. Could your lockout be broken?

Back