Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

It's an European TSB! US can't get this, and I think You can't either.

Mazda EU, Germany.
Reference Number: R056/14
Building group/block: T
Page 1 of 3
Publication Date: 07.29.2014
Change Date: ----
Replaces Reference Number: ----
Affected Models: Mazda6 (GJ), CX-5 (KE)
Affected Countries and Specifications: Europe
Pre-authorization needed: NO

Title:
Changed functions in combination with USB-connection
(only to be used when specifically asked by customer)

Description:
With the introduction of speech enabling the audio functions, some functions of the USB-connection have changed. After turning on the ignition:

BEFORE the modification:
1. The system reads the content of the USB device in order to activate the speech control, during this time playback is disabled (depending on the amount of audio files, this could take several minutes).
2. Playback of the connected device always starts at the first title (independent of where playback was at the time of turning off the ignition).

AFTER the modification:
1. Playback will start after approx. 30 seconds, reading of the remaining titles continues in the background
2. Playback will resume at the location it was stopped when the ignition was turned off

Reason
By introducing the speechcontrol the functions of the Bluetooth/Handsfree module changed, and the USB-connection is controlled by this module.

Changes in the serial(normal) production:
JMZGJ ****** *****
JMZKE ****** *****

Affected FIN Range & Date of Change:
from JMZGJ ***** 100001 - JMZGJ ****** *****
from JMZKE ***** 100001 - JMZKE ****** *****

Replacement part Information

Replacement part-Nr.
GHP9-66-DH0Z

Description
Bluetooth/Handsfreemodule

Number of parts

This order must be entered directly through EBK

why can't we get this modification in other countries except Europe? this doesn't make sense. (sad2)

As I posted in the CX-5 Introduction forum, my girlfriend was thinking about getting a 2015 CX-5 Touring. I could not convince her to wait for the 2016. Sure enough, it has the USB problem. For me, this is a HUGE deal. I kept telling her it was. The pandora worked satisfactorily with her S5, so it was no big deal for her and we ended up getting the car. I emailed Mazda and got this response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda about the USB port media playback on your 2015 CX-5.

With a media device connected to the USB port, your music playlist will start from the beginning each time the vehicle is started. This is a normal function of the vehicle infotainment system in reading your digital playback device. However, updates may periodically be released for the software in your vehicle in order to introduce enhancements and improve the overall performance of the infotainment system. Should an update become available, your dealership will be able to perform the update during a service appointment.

Mazda values the opinion of our customers and continually researches ways to enhance vehicle features. We have documented your request for the infotainment system to memorize playback position. Should you like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me, referencing file number XXX.

Thank you again for contacting Mazda, and I hope you continue to enjoy your new 2015 CX-5.

Sincerely,

Kiri
Representative, Customer Experience
Prompt 2, ext. 1167

While I get that its difficult to swap out the bluetooth module and all that, don't lie about it. "Normal" operation? Really? I sent an email back. Obviously it will go nowhere. We knew the issue upfront and to my girlfriend she was too worried about passing up a deal than to wait for a better vehicle.

of course it's not NORMAL.

Just came back from the dealer service and I was told the '16 CX infotainment will have virtually the same issues.
There's a Samsung/Apple setup or something going on that causing issues.Seems to be only with Mazda somehow,though.
I'm told the last infotainment update for my CX was around 2 months ago.

Booked my Cx5 in to have the auto folding mirror module fitted and took the opportunity to have the BT module updated under warranty as per TSB 056/14 mentioned above. I can confirm it works and the USB now resumes from the last track played. As for any other improvement I can't say I've noticed but it appears to load much faster. The mirror module was 98 fitted and unfolds the mirrors when the engine starts and folds them when you lock the vehicle. Should be standard equipment. Great forum thanks.

Booked my Cx5 in to have the auto folding mirror module fitted and took the opportunity to have the BT module updated under warranty as per TSB 056/14 mentioned above. I can confirm it works and the USB now resumes from the last track played. As for any other improvement I can't say I've noticed but it appears to load much faster. The mirror module was 98 fitted and unfolds the mirrors when the engine starts and folds them when you lock the vehicle. Should be standard equipment. Great forum thanks.

Since the TSB has a MPN attached to it (GHP9-66-DH0Z) I wonder if it would be possible for those of us in North America to have someone in Europe just order a batch of these parts from Mazda Europe and send them over to us - we can then have our stealerships (or ourselves if there's no reprogramming elsewhere required) install the modules. I'm guessing there's no physical difference of the bluetooth module between Mazda Europe and Mazda NA. I'd be willing to spend at least $200-$300 to get one - as it would fix my only outstanding complaint with the head unit. Everything else seems to work fine - Pandora, text messages, calls, Sirius, TomTom, FM/AM, etc.. - it's only the USB that's annoying - I'm just lucky enough to have a case (1000) of old 2GB "promo" USB keys I got from work - so I just put 5 different albums on each key and I just put a different one in each day when that's what I want to listen to - so at least I don't worry about starting out on the same song every day for now.

Just to let you know, the updated module may not be the all singing fix I once thought it was. I had the module fitted about 3 months ago and it worked lovely. Resuming and playing great. However a couple of months in and now as per reported on other pages..,. it's now refusing to see my memory stick at all.

I'm going to see if i can get it booked in to be looked at again as I have gone from having a usb input that wouldnt resume -> to one that worked and resumed where expected with a few oddities.. to now a usb input that does chuff all!

You might try unplugging the bluetooth module from both of its connectors, then re-connecting. I have been experimenting with the bluetooth module and have seen it get locked up in various ways, including the USB being greyed out.

I am attaching a circuit that I am testing that has been working error free for a few days in my car to add the resume feature to the USB port for USA owners who can't get a firmware update. It is based on info. from zorobg in this thread. It has a defeat switch to revert back to the original circuit and does not appear to affect bluetooth functionality.

View attachment Mazda Stereo Box.pdf

same issues after module replaced

Just to let you know, the updated module may not be the all singing fix I once thought it was. I had the module fitted about 3 months ago and it worked lovely. Resuming and playing great. However a couple of months in and now as per reported on other pages..,. it's now refusing to see my memory stick at all.

I'm going to see if i can get it booked in to be looked at again as I have gone from having a usb input that wouldnt resume -> to one that worked and resumed where expected with a few oddities.. to now a usb input that does chuff all!

Had the module fitted myself.what seems to happen with it is it works perect for while,then over a period of few months it will gradually get slower and slower reading the music in back ground when you turn ignition on.it will resume ok but after a while it will basically take so long to read usb it will not play anything and have a blank screen.i have found if you format usb stick and start again it will function perfect,then go the same way again.iv gave up on system.sounds like it is a problem with all new modules.going to install one of the new 2015 pioneers.pathetic having to shell out an extra grand.but no other choice because i like my music in my car.

We took delivery for a CX5 last week which has the USB resume problem (As you might expect) - I thought it might be fixed on newly sold models but it's not! I have approached my dealer for the replacement module but they report it doesn't resolve the problem. Has anyone from the UK found that the updated bluetooth module did not resolve the USB resume problem?

The mazda 6s have the exact same issue, it doesn't make sense for one region to get a replacement, and everywhere else not to, they all have the same unit.

Ask Your Dealer about Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-008/15 for the replacement of the Bluetooth module and reprogramming of the infotainment system to fix the SMS and ipod resume issues.

So, with the rumors of a fix finally here for the USB resume play issue, I called Mazda Canada today as well as my dealership. Mazda Canada said the fix just came out within the last 2 weeks and for me to call my dealership. Called the dealership (Erin Mills Mazda) and was put on hold while they called Mazda Canada....and was then told that the fix was in for the USA...and was being tested by Mazda Canada still but it would be available to Canadians very soon. I have my CX-5 scheduled for an appt March 21st to get my all season tires switched back and an oil change....and was told to check back then about the infotainment fix. I hope this is for real this time. Will report back after the 21st.

Bon

So I called my local Mazda dealership today (Brown's Fairfax Mazda) in Northern Virginia and explained to them that I needed to bring my car in for its yearly inspection and an oil change and mentioned that there was a new TSB out there to fix the annoying head unit issue. I read the TSB number to the woman over the phone and when she pulled it up on her computer she exclaimed that she had in fact heard about people complaining about that issue and that she was glad to see that there was finally a fix that was put out.

She put me on hold for a while and when she came back she said that they had gone ahead and ordered the replacement module for me and that it would arrive before the end of the week. She is going to call me when the part comes in and once she does I will schedule an appointment to have my car fixed and the other work done. Hopefully it'll be done within the next week or so and when that happens I will report back here to let everyone know how it went.

So, with the rumors of a fix finally here for the USB resume play issue, I called Mazda Canada today as well as my dealership. Mazda Canada said the fix just came out within the last 2 weeks and for me to call my dealership. Called the dealership (Erin Mills Mazda) and was put on hold while they called Mazda Canada....and was then told that the fix was in for the USA...and was being tested by Mazda Canada still but it would be available to Canadians very soon. I have my CX-5 scheduled for an appt March 21st to get my all season tires switched back and an oil change....and was told to check back then about the infotainment fix. I hope this is for real this time. Will report back after the 21st.

Bon

Bon Scott, please do report back. Canadian owners holding their breath. Thanks much.

Ask Your Dealer about Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-008/15 for the replacement of the Bluetooth module and reprogramming of the infotainment system to fix the SMS and ipod resume issues.

They replaced the bluetooth module in my 2015 Touring FWD, but, I have the same issue, it will read SMS and emails for a couple weeks, then stop working until you unpair the CX-5 and your phone, power down both for 30 seconds, then repair them, then it's good for another couple weeks.

They replaced the bluetooth module in my 2015 Touring FWD, but, I have the same issue, it will read SMS and emails for a couple weeks, then stop working until you unpair the CX-5 and your phone, power down both for 30 seconds, then repair them, then it's good for another couple weeks.
does it resume the songs from where it stopped?

That is still better than not having messages read at all!

Are you using an iPhone?

I took my 2015 in today for a follow up to the TSB about the struts/shocks they were supposed to order and asked them about the infotainment TSB. Good thing I wrote down the number because they did not have it and after the tech spent an hour on the phone with Mazda going through the checklist the part is now on its way! Mazda sent them the wrong strut for the car so now I have to go back to have it done plus the replacement module hopefully within the next week so I get to spend another 3+ hours in the uncomfortable waiting room. I really hope this fixes it!!

Back