Replacing tailgate cargo light in 2016

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
I'm looking to change out the cargo light with an led on a 2016 but I can't seem to get the clear lense off.
I'm also worried because I read that changing out the light will damage somethings in the car.

Any info is great

Thank you

I'm looking to change out the cargo light with an led on a 2016 but I can't seem to get the clear lense off.
I'm also worried because I read that changing out the light will damage somethings in the car.
Any info is great
Thank you
You do have a 2016 Sport 2.0L right? Anything from 2016 MY, luggage compartment light is fused by fuse #54 (Room / Overhead light) on the driver side inside of engine bay. You should verify it by yourself though. Once the fuse is removed, you have no fear to damage anything! The warning is for 2015 MY and prior where the luggage compartment light is located on the side panel and is not fused. A light module could get damaged if you're not careful!

But I didn't remove the fuse as I know what I was doing because once the fuse #54 is removed, "not only the lights went out, but so did the door electronics and cleared the display like trip mileage and maintenance settings", according to the forum member Panther.

Read your owner's manual carefully on page 6-55 where it has detailed information with drawings on how to replace the luggage compartment light bulb. I do have a set of plastic panel removal tool instead of using flat-head screwdrivers. Again, quoted from Panther: "The key is to use one small to medium size flat-head screwdriver to get the switch end pried down (Not completely out) then work another med size flat-head screwdriver along the side facing the cargo hold and work along the side and it will pop out. Then You have to undo the wiring clip, and then pry off the lens to get to the bulb. Again, make sure that you have the bulb in and working before putting it back together!"

When I was removing the cover of my rear cargo light, it appeared to have two parts. The black plastic body, and the clear plastic lens on top.

Using a plastic trim tool, I just carefully worked around the edges and pried carefully at the connection tabs between the body and the lens.
When it did finally come loose, it surprised me and popped off onto the ground, so either be extra careful in holding it, or place a big soft towel underneath your working area.

I replaced all of the internal bulbs with the Corksport LED kit bulbs. Only problem is they are so damn bright! Mainly the vanity mirrors. Almost unusable at night as the led will blind you.

You do have a 2016 Sport 2.0L right? Anything from 2016 MY, luggage compartment light is fused by fuse #54 (Room / Overhead light) on the driver side inside of engine bay. You should verify it by yourself though. Once the fuse is removed, you have no fear to damage anything! The warning is for 2015 MY and prior where the luggage compartment light is located on the side panel and is not fused. A light module could get damaged if you're not careful![/I]"

I'm confused. I thought the fuse was suppose to save things from getting messed up. So are you saying for the 16, we should or shouldn't remove the fuse? I've been meaning to replace my trunk light with LED for awhile now. Glad I saw your post so I can get clarification on this before attempting it.

I'm confused. I thought the fuse was suppose to save things from getting messed up. So are you saying for the 16, we should or shouldn't remove the fuse? I've been meaning to replace my trunk light with LED for awhile now. Glad I saw your post so I can get clarification on this before attempting it.
For 2016 CX-5, the luggage compartment light is fused by #54. Since fuse #54 is also been used by other things mentioned above, and we also need to test the polarity of your LED on the light socket to make sure it would light up, I simply keep the fuse so that it's a lot easier to do the testing as removal of the light bulb or LED out of the socket is difficult too.

So if you're not sure about the luggage compartment light replacement, remove the fuse. It's not necessary if you know what you're doing. Yes fuse is supposed to protect things. Even the replacement procedure stated in owner's manual doesn't mention the necessity of fuse removal. So I'd say fuse removal for luggage compartment light replacement is not necessary for 2016 CX-5.

For 2016 CX-5, the luggage compartment light is fused by #54. Since fuse #54 is also been used by other things mentioned above, and we also need to test the polarity of your LED on the light socket to make sure it would light up, I simply keep the fuse so that it's a lot easier to do the testing as removal of the light bulb or LED out of the socket is difficult too.

So if you're not sure about the luggage compartment light replacement, remove the fuse. It's not necessary if you know what you're doing. Yes fuse is supposed to protect things. Even the replacement procedure stated in owner's manual doesn't mention the necessity of fuse removal. So I'd say fuse removal for luggage compartment light replacement is not necessary for 2016 CX-5.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll go ahead and order the DE3175 led bulb. Been meaning to do it ever since I replaced all the other lights with LED. Which, I never removed the fuse for those either. Have you replaced it yourself? Any suggestions on what LED bulb to use? I put my dog back there a lot so having decent light output is nice for getting her in.

See attached pdf below.

I’ve piggy backed another in my trunk lid. Can’t stand LEDs on the inside, I find them too clinical.

IMG_2272_zps3vbc5v5h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Think I'll go ahead and order the DE3175 led bulb. Been meaning to do it ever since I replaced all the other lights with LED. Which, I never removed the fuse for those either. Have you replaced it yourself? Any suggestions on what LED bulb to use? I put my dog back there a lot so having decent light output is nice for getting her in.
So your adorable German Shepherd has grown? I use one of 31mm Festoon LEDs in this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) from eBay for luggage compartment light because they use newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah I replaced all interior incandescent bulbs with LEDs from the kit by myself last year. Anchorman's idea of piggy-backing another LED in the liftgate is even better and his pdf file has better instruction than our owner's manual!

Yes it's a 2016 so the light is on the lift gate.

Either I'm stupid or something because I tried to remove the lense from the black body without trying to damage the black body of it. I did use a little flat head but felt I might break it so I said F It and just left it alone.
I do like the license plate lights that came with the kit tough

Yes it's a 2016 so the light is on the lift gate.
Either I'm stupid or something because I tried to remove the lense from the black body without trying to damage the black body of it. I did use a little flat head but felt I might break it so I said F It and just left it alone.
I do like the license plate lights that came with the kit tough
Yeah it does make many first-timers frustrating trying to replace that luggage compartment light. Read the hint by Panther and more detailed instruction from Anchorman's PDF file, and get a set of this cheap trim prying tool, you'll be fine!

615ofhC6PvL._SL1000_.jpg

... I replaced all of the internal bulbs with the Corksport LED kit bulbs. Only problem is they are so damn bright! Mainly the vanity mirrors. Almost unusable at night as the led will blind you.
Well that's why you need to be careful choosing LEDs for vanity lights or the wife may not be happy about it. I use this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect with pretty good result:
s-l400.jpg

Certainly has! She rides in the back now. Love the rubber mat I bought for the trunk. But I will definitely take a look at the LED bulbs you posted.

359bay1.jpg
Dogs grow fast in the first year! Unfortunately we can't have German Shepherd in our area or we can't get home owner insurance!

Picture of my 8 month of German Shepherd. She's gotten too big now and this is I think the last picture of her up front with us lol she now resides in the trunk. She doesn't know what to do with herself with all new space.

kyhax.jpg

See attached pdf below.

I’ve piggy backed another in my trunk lid. Can’t stand LEDs on the inside, I find them too clinical.

IMG_2272_zps3vbc5v5h.jpg

I have been searching something that can help lighting up my trunk area and I found this on youtube. I am planning to get it soon. I think you guys might be interested in this, it's an additional trunk lights that fits right on the tail light cover.

Last edited:
Back