Replacing passenger side headlight bulb...?

How do you replace the driver's side headlight bulb...? There is 2 tanks there for anti-freeze...? or something and windshield washer fluid. It doesn't leave much room to pull out the bulb...? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

LEXUSLEO said:
How do you replace the driver's side headlight bulb...? There is 2 tanks there for anti-freeze...? or something and windshield washer fluid. It doesn't leave much room to pull out the bulb...? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
It's a tight fit but you replace it the same way as the driver side one.

Pull out the rubber suction mount, loosen the retainer clip, pull out the bulb.

Once that's out remove the metal base of the bulb from plastic attachment, then plug the new bulb in.

Then install in reverse order of removal.

Your going to have to push the windshield washer fluid forward towards the strut tower - just a little bit. Doing that, you will get just a little bit of room, granted it wont stay there without you holding it there, and it is WAY different from the driver side (given the amount of room you have to work with) - but the principles of changing both headlights are the same as explained before me. Pull the rubber boot out, push in and down on the bulb retaining clip, pull the clip open and remove the bulb. The one thing you need to be aware of is if you get Hiper White bulbs or any bulb for that matter that is colored with a blue tint - you will scratch the crap out of it if your not careful - so take your time and be gentle. You will have to turn it clockwise a little bit to make sure that the bulb sits properly, just look into the headlight to make sure that it seats correctly and is not pointing up too obviously.

Secondly - I wouldn't recommend wearing a watch or anything while you try to change your headlight - it makes it all the more difficult to change that passenger side bulb. Not to mention you will scratch the crap out of your arm, have a tight fit, and also scratch your watch. The less on your wrists, the less you have to worry about something else while your changing your headlight.

That retainer clip is a B*tch to remove and put back in place but he's right its the same as the Driver's side. I pull the plug loose first and then the rubber gasket <if you will> then move the clip in and down. once thats sliding back pull out the bulb. DONE

i know this thread is old but i was trying to change the headlight for the first time and that damn retaining clip is a b**** and a half.
are there any tips you guys can offer to easily move the clip.
will it actually snap out of the way and snap back afterwards, or do you have to push and hold it away to remove the bulb?

hands are frozen, will make another attempt tomorrow.
thanks!

removing the clip is easy....putting it back on can be a pain in the ass...try using a flat head screw driver....thats what i used , just changed a head light tonight

speedysmurf said:
i know this thread is old but i was trying to change the headlight for the first time and that damn retaining clip is a b**** and a half.
are there any tips you guys can offer to easily move the clip.
will it actually snap out of the way and snap back afterwards, or do you have to push and hold it away to remove the bulb?

hands are frozen, will make another attempt tomorrow.
thanks!

If you can see the clip while you're trying to install it, the process is much easier! I tried doing it by touch for a while before figuring this out.

I pull the bolt on the PS reservoir, tuck the reservoir out of the way under the AC lines and put a flashlight in its place with the beam pointed toward HL. Much easier to see the clip when re-locking it. And as pro5 says, push the filler neck for the WSW reservoir toward the left fender to give yourself even more room. Awkward, but it works. Still can't figure out why Mazda didn't reconfigure the WSW filler neck. PITA.

Brutal

I've been messing around with this absolutely terribly designed vehicle for way too long - I must really love my GF cause it's her car. I have to say the engineers who designed the Protege 5 aught to be put in prison for the terrible job they did on this thing - the headlamp (especially the passenger side) is shockingly difficult to replace and the placement of the windshield wiper tank is absolutely shocking given that there is so much room elsewhere. I've found that the bulbs turn off due to loosening due to vibrations so you may not need to constantly buy new ones. Also adding a thin strip of copper or something tightens the connection between the plugs. Good luck!

Hey Mazda I know you read these - contact me if you want to make this right.

Back