Replacing Blown Turbo

slvrmaz3

Sister in-law blew up the turbo on her 2007 CX-7 (one oil change in 30K miles). Not my vehicle but myself and brother in law were considering helping out and changing out the turbo if it is a pretty straightforward job.

Anybody have the shop manual instructions or know how difficult it is to swap out? Looked on parts.com and the turbo can be had for $782. Looking for some knowledge and direction if anybody has done this before on these vehicles. Thanks for any help.

My wife has a 2007 Mazda3 (non-turbo), so I have poked around here a little in the past. Not much though, for that I apologize.

Sister in-law blew up the turbo on her 2007 CX-7 (one oil change in 30K miles). Not my vehicle but myself and brother in law were considering helping out and changing out the turbo if it is a pretty straightforward job.

Anybody have the shop manual instructions or know how difficult it is to swap out? Looked on parts.com and the turbo can be had for $782. Looking for some knowledge and direction if anybody has done this before on these vehicles. Thanks for any help.

My wife has a 2007 Mazda3 (non-turbo), so I have poked around here a little in the past. Not much though, for that I apologize.

There is also a company that will sell rebuilt blue printed turbos for the CX7 for about what a stock one from Mazda costs.

I'd try to take it to the dealership and see if they'll warranty it. You might just get lucky.

Otherwise, there are several sources for new turbos. Online Mazda Parts, Protege Garage are some that will provide a stock, or slightly modified turbo for replacement.

Make sure you buy the rev. C turbo if you're going with a stock replacement. They have revised the seals to help avoid smoking during idle/cruise.

Damn 30k on one oil change, The motor we just took out of a cx7 w/ 26k and one oil change was sledged horribly and caused it to blow. We did it under customer pay due to the fact they didn't change there oil regularly. the turbo its self isn't to difficult to replace. you will bust your knuckles for sure if you do it in the car but it can be done in under a day.

Damn 30k on one oil change, The motor we just took out of a cx7 w/ 26k and one oil change was sledged horribly and caused it to blow. We did it under customer pay due to the fact they didn't change there oil regularly. the turbo its self isn't to difficult to replace. you will bust your knuckles for sure if you do it in the car but it can be done in under a day.

It should not take that long to do. You will need to pull the exhaust manifold
to get it out. But its just tight back there and depending on your tools and know how id say you should get it done in 4hrs or so.

Back