Remote Start Recommendations

Get a 14 year old kid. Tell him to go start the car 15 minutes before you need to go some where. A little more expensive than the electronic versions, but installation is a snap! :p

Someone posted the Mazda remote start install manual some time ago in PDF format. It's about $250, works only with auto-equipped cars.

The dealer installed remote start in our mazda5 is lacking in function.
-- it does not 'retry' when it fails to start the car at -31 celcius. Rather
it is an 'open loop'. sends the start sequence but does not 'listen' if the
car has started or not. In our detached garage, I have a remote camera
(with microphone-- the kind they sell in costco). Tells me if the mazda5
has started or not.

On the other hand, the mazda remote starter I think is the 'safest' to install. I.e. the components and modules are 'pre-wired' to integrate to the mazda5 circuitry. The remote also only has one button for start/stop. Which is
logical since the key already has the buttons for keyless-entry.

Other non-mazda recommended remote start might need some 'mcguiver approach' on the part of the installer.. like how to 'bypass' the key sensor etc... and may result in 'connector taps' that can come loose years down the line. (in our old buick, a 3rd party installed remote starter burnt causing panic when smoke came out from inside the dash board.)

I would play it safe and have the dealer install the remote starter. Espec. if car is under warranty.

I had a Hornet remote start/alarm installed in my car as soon as I got it. No problems so far (almost 2 years now). I preferred a aftermarket one as the remote comes with a lot more specially the page feature. Spent about 350 installation and other modules needed to bypass the immobilizer included.
(drinks)

hello kcmazda. Do you have programming instructions on the factory
remote starter? It looks like they failed to enable some of the basic functions of the remote starter.

For example, the remote starter should 'know' if the car has started successfully or not. This way it can do a retry. Normaly this has a sensor wire, or a circuitry to sense the voltage increase..

I asked the dealership and the service manager conveniently said 'retry it is not a feature of the installed mazda remote starter.

I just install one on a car today....whats happening with the car, if its not staying running it can need a tack wire kit...let me know, I think I know the mazda kit very well....

I just install one on a car today....whats happening with the car, if its not staying running it can need a tack wire kit...let me know, I think I know the mazda kit very well....

hi.
next time you install a mazda5 oem (the one with only one button), try this experiment. remote start the car with the ignition disabled (I mean simulate condition where the car fails to start). I'd like to know if the one you install does a retry.

It's hard to simulate because the mazda5 rarely fails to start. Only in real cold weather.

Someone posted the Mazda remote start install manual some time ago in PDF format. It's about $250, works only with auto-equipped cars.
While it's possible to put a remote start on a vehicle with manual transmission, it's not recommended for obvious reasons. Though that would be a good practical joke, install it on somebody's five then put the fob on their key ring.

"Hey, what does this button do?"

I don't think it will restart but I'll try, and for the cold start issue how did you correct it?? I had one that need a tack signal wire installed....

I don't think it will restart but I'll try, and for the cold start issue how did you correct it?? I had one that need a tack signal wire installed....

Cold start issue is still there. The remote starter 'assumes' the car has started. It will go and complete its start cycle. but the motor does run. then the cycle ends.

I have to watch the tail pipe from a distance. If I don't see exhaust I will 'stop' the remote start. Then I will try again. It usually starts the 2nd time I 'manually' remote start the car.

I'll leave it as it is until after warranty. Then I will explore the thing.

do you have documentation of the oem remote starter?

edit:

Ok. thanks. Did a search and found the OEM install instruction in pdf.

The manual confirmed the dealer's explanation that the OEM remote starter does not
do an automatic retry.

=====================
What to Do if the Vehicle Does Not Start
In the unlikely event your parking lights are on but the vehicle is not running, the remote starter attempted to start the vehicle but failed. There are two options to address this condition:

• If you notice the vehicle did not start and want to reinitiate the remote start sequence, simply push and hold the START button on the transmitter for one second. You will see the parking lights turn off, then you can
reinitiate the remote start function as normal.
Option 2 - Starting the Vehicle with the Ignition Key
• If you notice the vehicle did not start and wish to start the vehicle with the ignition key, simply enter the vehicle as you normally would but pressthe ignition key as normal.

==============================

Last edited:
Back