Relocating MAF

:
2007 Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring
I searched and couldn't find anything. Im not entirely sure how to relocate the MAF but from what i know, once i install my BOV that i will have venting to atmosphere i just need to move the maf to the cold pipe between the BOV and throttle body correct? is there a certain distance i should keep it from the BOV and TB?

Alot of people go about 12 inches. I know this has been discussed a few times, not sure of a write up though

I have my BOV on the hot pipe and MAFon the cold that way the MAF sees no turbulant air. But the further the better.

lol, rocket surgery? so i shouldnt place them right next to each other? or is that fine and should try to keep the maf away from the throttle body by about 12"?

why not relocate? its easier (or at least not any harder) than trying to keep it in the pre-turbo section unless you're keeping the factory airbox...

my ultimate question is, can i put the BOV flange pipe and then the MAF flowed directly after or should i put some space between them?

as mentioned above, you want to keep the BOV a decent distance from the MAF so it doesn't have turbulence. about 12 inches would be good, but as far as you can get it ideally.

You only need to relocate it if you are venting to atmo, the MAF will be reading air that isn't really in the intake, thus a rich condition. If you recirculate it is pointless to relocate. I have a turbo-ed N/A protege and have the BOV right after the Turbolife FMIC. I put the MAF about 8inches from the throttle body. Make sure if you relocate that you fabricate the intake air temp sensor into the intake of your turbo. That along with the MAF and about 10 other things determines your fuel delivery. This will also give you a chance to whip up a homemade true cold air intake. Like these guys said, keep it a decent distance apart, you probably have plenty of room.

i think i will be keeping the full injen intake still so ill just leave the air temp sensor where it is if i can

You only need to relocate it if you are venting to atmo, the MAF will be reading air that isn't really in the intake, thus a rich condition. If you recirculate it is pointless to relocate. I have a turbo-ed N/A protege and have the BOV right after the Turbolife FMIC. I put the MAF about 8inches from the throttle body. Make sure if you relocate that you fabricate the intake air temp sensor into the intake of your turbo. That along with the MAF and about 10 other things determines your fuel delivery. This will also give you a chance to whip up a homemade true cold air intake. Like these guys said, keep it a decent distance apart, you probably have plenty of room.
its not entirely pointless to relocate if you recirc - if you blow a coupler with the MAF on the intake, your car will not run until its fixed. put it on the coldpipe and its no longer an issue.
also, the air temp sensor is pointless. yeah it allegedly makes fueling decisions but thats a bunch of malarky. if it made real decisions, then they would put it after the intercooler. im sorry, but dangling in the engine bay is just as accurate a measurement as the intake as far as how an IAT is supposed to work.

its not entirely pointless to relocate if you recirc - if you blow a coupler with the MAF on the intake, your car will not run until its fixed. put it on the coldpipe and its no longer an issue.
also, the air temp sensor is pointless. yeah it allegedly makes fueling decisions but thats a bunch of malarky. if it made real decisions, then they would put it after the intercooler. im sorry, but dangling in the engine bay is just as accurate a measurement as the intake as far as how an IAT is supposed to work.

True, very good point, i never thought of the blown coupler issue. As for the intake I guess I thought if one was to relocate than why not make your own cold air intake(true cold air) which in theory would be a different temp then the in-engine bay temp, he has an injen so he is golden anyway. I'm simply regurgitating what I learn in school, sure one could leave it dangling, but why not just hook it up? By the way I like your gauge mount. wish I would have seen that before I got my pillar pod.

Last edited:
The cold air intake is just another debate on this forum. All the effort to do a CAI then you suck that "cooler" air right into the hot ass turbo amd heat the air right back up. Many of us feel your better off with a SRI and a decent intercooler.

when i relocated my maf(incidently when i put my turbolife in) and put my forge bov in (vta) i knoticed my car idled better and ran a little smoother. also as far as intakes go i knowticed more of a difference with my custom ram air then i did with my injen cai. so i recomend relocating the maf, vta as far from the maf as you can get, and selling the injen and making a custom ram air intake. but its all in what you want.

I grauduated in 2004, what years did you go there?

I think I would have graduated in 2001 (i dropped out at another school and got my GED) I was there in 9th grade and a little of 10th. I think like 1998 to 2000. I lived up at Cherry ridge terrace, my mom was poor as s*** lol.

Back