Regular driving habits?

I shift mine at about 3k if I want to drive smooth. Granted mine is stock with 1 step colder plugs but I am still getting around 21mpg mixed driving. My commute is 17 miles each way and on a fast freeway with average speed being about 80mph. On longer trips with lower speeds I can get better but I am really wanting an AP to get the most from the car.

Getting the hang of how the clutch works will really smooth things out a bit. But even after having it for almost 3 years I still do get jerky every now and then. Its just the nature of this clutch thats all....not really able to be smooth with it.

I shift at 2500 RPMs. I keep seeing people say they shift at 3K right when the boost hits. In my car the boost hits 2500-2600 RPMs so I shift right there. I found that if you shift at 2500 RPMs the next gear is almost perfectly at 2K RPMs.

+1 for driving at 71 MPH. That is the sweet spot for me. Drove 71 MPH from Columbus OH to Hagerstown MD (370 Miles) and still at 1/4 tank of gas. I was pretty happy with those results. And if anyone knows the Highway 68 that you would take, it's pretty damn hilly (for the east coast). So I can't complain. Plus I down shifted to 4th and floored it a few times to pass. My car is lightly modded with no tuning.

Boost hits when you press down the pedal relatively hard. The turbo starts spooling at 3K. That means your probably giving it too much throttle.

With me to shift at 2500 it seems to put a lot of load on the engine. Sure this can be done smoothly put people will start to tail gate you as your taking off pretty slow like this. I can get into boost anywhere over 2 grand. Seems like a good way to bent a rod. Thats why i usually run it to 3 grand enough so the boost gauge just reads below 0.

yea i can definitely blow off at 2100, i never go below 2200 if i can help or im going downhill. just got ITV22s, whenever i figure out what is wrong with this compressor surge or wastegate whatever im hearing, ill re-evaluate my regular driving habits.

I shift at 2500 RPMs. I keep seeing people say they shift at 3K right when the boost hits. In my car the boost hits 2500-2600 RPMs so I shift right there. I found that if you shift at 2500 RPMs the next gear is almost perfectly at 2K RPMs.

+1 for driving at 71 MPH. That is the sweet spot for me. Drove 71 MPH from Columbus OH to Hagerstown MD (370 Miles) and still at 1/4 tank of gas. I was pretty happy with those results. And if anyone knows the Highway 68 that you would take, it's pretty damn hilly (for the east coast). So I can't complain. Plus I down shifted to 4th and floored it a few times to pass. My car is lightly modded with no tuning.

I totally agree with the 70MPH cruising. When I can do that the mileage is pretty good. But the car is no fun at 70mph so I keep it up at 80mph where the boost is ready to be utilized without shifting...I just wish that we had the 93 octane gas here in california! My mileage would be so much better if I had that...

And my car makes boost at 2100rpm and up. When I shift at 3k I am not even really boosting either. I am easing into the gas and not romping on it.

Back