RECON Expectrience 12/07/07

808MP5

Contributor
:
GT3076R Pro5
LOL failed my recon inspection and it was only $15. That's the price of a movie but this was much more rewarding.

Well not really funny cuz i've been having a bad case of getting pulled over for no apparent reason and the freakin recon ticket is $70.

Just thought i share my experience of failing with everyone and let you know what i learned in case you want to try and fail miserably also. I went in knowing i wasn't going to pass. The good thing is they tell you what you need to correct to pass and you get 90 days to schedule a "re-check" appointment before you have to pay the $15 again.

First off the reason for failing. (Listed by the inspector)
1) 2" suspension travel required = Failed = Costly Fix

2) Missing brake hose clip on passenger side = Failed (WTF where did it go?) = Easy Fix

3) Blue headlamp bulbs = Failed (HID's but this is not the reason) = Easy Fix

4) Obstruction of headlamps = Failed (DG Carbon Eyelids) = Easy Fix

5) My intake is touching the damn radiator hose = Easy Fix

So i failed due to the above reasons but what i learned is.
1) HID's are legal (im guessing) but the bulbs have to be white in color (not the light itself). They didn't say anything about the HID kit that is mounted in plain site along with the DDE Kit converters. But they did mention the bulb color is blue not the light. Also the headlamps are painted black and they didn't care.

2) You can have any size rims you like (I got 19"s). They only check to see if they are damaging the fenders "rubbing". And also check to see if in any way they are rubbing the frame.

3) Gotta get softer springs (I got Eibach Ground Controls). They bounce tested every corner of my car and the front doesn't bounce at all.

4) LOL im missing the freakin brake hose clip.

5) Gotta try and maneuver the intake so it doesn't touch the radiator hose. Got into a minor collision and i believe this is the reason for that.

Other things i gained from this experience.
1) They didn't care how low the car was cuz the tires are tucked under the fenders to the point that the whole front side walls are almost hidden.

2) They didn't care about the Xenon DDE Kit (Halo's)

3) I just need to get the suspension to travel 2" and i can do it however i want without doing alignment again. (just don't tell "them" what you did). Inspector said do what ever you have to do. And he made hush hush when i mentioned raising the car which = redoing alignment. Guess he trying to save me the hassle.

4) All other modification on my car didn't matter, carbon hood, front lip, etc. etc... (check signature for a complete listing)

5) My valve cover is cut so the cam gears are exposed. I thought this wouldn't pass but as long as the top part of the gears are covered your good to go. I also removed all the other plastic covers and nothing was mentioned.

6) I learned that i need some money to change my suspension... Planning on getting Eiback Pro Kit Springs along with Tokico Adjustables so that when i take it in again I'm going to set the struts to its softest settings. When this happens im going to be selling my tokico blues (super duper cheap) and my Eibach Ground Controls (moderately cheap).

Things they made me do.
1) Open my hood
2) Turn on my headlights
3) Show them the alignment papers
4) Show them registration
5) Show them drivers license
6) Fill out the recon applications and list mods (tip... list only visible mods)

Things that i notice them checking.
1) Tint (light tested all nine windows)
2) Inside of fender wells (extensivly "must of cuz he noticed the brake hose clip missing")
3) Under the hood (plenty mods here but only one defect #5 from reasons for failing)
4) Under the car
5) Suspension travel (sh!t doesn't travel at all "front" only)
6) Color of "all" visible bulbs (HID bulbs where blue)
7) Height of the Headlamps (checked extensivly. they measured from the front inside all the way to the outside of headlamp)
9) Carbon fiber hood (checked the hood latch and material workmanship)

Things i noticed they didn't check
1) Bumper height (probably only in my case cuz even though the car is slammed the 19"s make it look stock height)
2) License plate height (probably cuz being the car looks stock height)
3) Safty check papers
4) Insurance papers
5) Exhaust Muffler

Last edited:
see thats not bad! now all you got to do is fix it=) nice write up

Efren

Last edited:
They eventually do measure the bumpers and license plate height. Theres blanks for the measurements my papers for that. They probably would fill that in after you pass the bounce test. Do you have your fogs installed? They made me take mine out before they gave me my stickers. :(

I am surprised they didn't get you for your military sticker on the windshield.

Congrats though!

Next time ask them, if my car bounces 2 inches, you consider that safer than a stiff suspension? I don't know of any stock car that can bounce 2" or have 2" of "play"

yup took out the fogs b4 the recon. 2" of play on the suspension must be one inch up one inch down. To fix this I'm debating on adjusting the coilovers and raising the car for a quick fix. Not sure if that will actually give me the required suspension travel but I will try.

I think they changed the law regarding the height of the plate and I'm not sure about the bumper height. It was apparently changed sometime last year. You might want to check w/ the guy who inspected your vehicle.

Good luck on your re-check. That was a nice write up. Anyway, the re-check is free of charge for 90 days to give you time to correct. After that, you have to pay $15 again.

Where did you get your alignment done? Try going to Hawaiian Tire in Aiea. They cost a little over $100 for alignment. Usually they'll let you know if it will generally pass the inspection or not w/ the suspension set up you have.

Military Sticker is a Federal Govenment requirement. I believe that is exempt.

Last edited:
God im glad we dont have recon down here. :p

Wish it was true here too....
I just got pulled over this morning for RECON. Well not really pulled over more like flagged down which means he was in front of me and not behind me. But he said he pulled me over so he could check if i had recon. Fortunantly he let me slide. I believe it was because my drivers license was behind my military ID. First off he questioned me about being in the military and if i was from "here". Then he told me that i needed recon. I quickly responded that i was trying to get it and i showed him the paper "the one that shows that i failed recon". He was cool and said "atleast your trying to get it" and said "just go". No questions asked i freakin got the hell outta there and continued my trek to school.

It's fkdup cuz i won't be able to pass recon until i fix my suspension. Eibach Ground Controls are to damn stiff @ 350#/in. Going to get some Eibach Pro-Kits to pass and Tokico Adjustables after that im going to sell the Pro-Kit and put the ground controls back on. LOL. I rather be slow and low then high and dry.

01/18/2008

Had my recheck appointment today... guess what? failed again....

Here's what happen.. took less than 5 minutes.
1) 2" suspension travel required = Passed = Adjusted Coilovers and raised the car about and inch. My friend lives right across the street so i jacked up the front and back of the car... Why you ask? Cuz the suspension is way softer after jacking up the car cuz it's not settled in. So hence it will pass the bounce test.

2) Missing brake hose clip on passenger side = Passed = Took the one off the clutch line connected to the mount. Picking one up from Mazda today to replace.

3) Blue headlamp bulbs = Failed = I removed HID's and replaced with stock bulbs... Important... Don't think twice that Sylvania SilverStars will pass recon cuz they don't. I had the SilverStar High Beams and Turn Signal bulbs not thinking they would fail me because of that. According to the Sylvania SilverStar package they are 100% street legal. He said it's not the color output of the light. It's the color of the glass on the bulb. And i thought he was talking about the HID's back in December... Wish it was stated a little more clear cuz i would have changed the SilverStars. Wish I had an extra set of bulbs while i was there cuz it would've took less than a minute to swap them out. Ohh and i guess he didn't notice the Halo's the first time. He said i can't have those, but said don't worry about it...

4) Obstruction of headlamps = Passed = Removed them

5) My intake is touching the damn radiator hose = Passed = Bent the intake mount up and put the intake tab under the rubber on the mounting bolt not above.

So that really sucked... Failed all because Sylvania SilverStars. And those bulbs are 100% street legal according to the package. But not 100% recon legal... Go figure.

Next update will be Feb. 14... This time i should pass.

Oh and they never checked anything else except the stuff that failed me the first time on 12/07/2007.

Last edited:
ughh dude that's harsh >< haha if u look at my sig. pic, i got the silverstars in my highs too..so they can give me a ticket for that s***? if the bulb is blueish looking?? i thought the law was made so that there are no blue lights meaning that the output isnt blue not the actual bulb being blue..that girl got murdered cause the murder's car had the blue flashing lights like a policecar. anyways to me this recon system is a bit messed up. u know what, when u think about it, most laws in hawaii are ****** up.

good luck on ur next exam!! xD

I not sure, but usually they will not pass you if you have an expired safety check. Your safety check expires at the end of January...your appointment is in February. I not sure if they will let you slide because you were failed two times before. You may want to call them up and ask them about that. If that's the case, I think you can get this weird temporary safety check paper that you show to recon. When you get the recon, you return to the safety check station and get the updated safety check sticker. I can't remember if that was right or not. I read it on a Hawaii Forums a few months ago.

Good luck Thomas.

Yeah when people come into Jiffy with no registration or a expired one we issue a temporary (blue) copy. You take the blue copy to register since you need a current safety inspection for the registration.

If its the same with the recon then you'll get the blue copy with the recon marked off as a defect and you take that down to the recon station and that should be sufficient. Then you get the recon and go back to the shop and they mark off the recon defect as corrected.

hmm. So I can get a temporay safety check at jiffy lube? Well I can get a safety check from my cousin. They shouldn't say anything about how I got one should they? I can just say I went back stock and put everything back on cuz I have a current alignment papers from this month. I think I'll just get a safety check. If worst comes to worst I can get a temp safety check from jiffy lube?

Dude, don't get your cousin's place into trouble. They will track that safety check station down and take away the shops privilage of being an autorized safety check station. I'm not sure what agency it is, but they are being really strict on that kind of behavior.

The alignment paper has a date on it. I think if you adjust your alignment, you will have to go back to the alignment place and get a new alignment done in order for recon to pass you. Then again, it really depends on the mood of the recon inspector.

It's all up to you how you want to play your cards. I'm just suggesting that you think of the consequenses that may happen upon other people as well as yourself.

Good luck Thomas.

hmm... i don't think he cares about the safety check thingy...
well i have the recon paper thats stamped for every modification on my car saying i pass... except for the damn silverstars... so that should be good enough to get a safety check...

They don't even look at your safety check papers when you go there. All they ask for is alignment, registration, and license....

I'm going to rush'um and get safty check... cuz according to the recon paper im good to go except for the bulbs that are "100% street legal and legal for road use"...

third times a charm. Finally got my recon today yay :)
oh air horns don't pass recon. Had to yank mine out on the spot.

third times a charm. Finally got my recon today yay :)
oh air horns don't pass recon. Had to yank mine out on the spot.
congrats! and dont forget to put the horn back=)
also call me up if you still want the bars and about my option wagon sticker. Last might have something you want?

I going call my cousin right now about the sticker. Yup I'll hit u up about the bars. U think we can install them when I pick the up

The back is going take sometime because of cutting some stuff, but ill see.

Back