Recommend me a starter bike

skilletrx

Nemo0o
Hey guys, i'm looking into getting a bike, I've never ridden on one before, so is 600cc a good starter? Also, can you guys throw out some suggestions as to what bike to get? Thanks in advance.

this one is aerodynamic and has springs in the seat.

sky-king-pedal-tricycle-classic-trike-vintage-bike-ride-on-toy.jpg

Nope, my opinion is start with a 600 or 650. You'll get bored with a 250 VERY quickly. My suggestion is either a Kawisaki 650 Ninja R (best starter bike there is IMO because of the upright seating position and decent handle-bar position compared to a true sport bike, yet it looks like a true sport bike and has good power, so you won't be bored with it)......or if not that then the Suzuki SV650 NON S model (the S is harder to learn on for sure, because of the handle bar position).

also i'm a bit short, at 5'4" so i wanted to find a nice starter bike that had a low seat height. thanks for your suggestions keep em coming.

Ninja 500. 600s are are a bit much for a new rider. The 250 is not enough. I've ridden them all and taught several people to ride. Sign up for the MSF beginner course. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Check out www.dcsportbikes.net and ask them. You'll get some sound advice from people who were in your shoes not long ago.

My friend is about the same hieght as you. You can drop your bike with some dog bones.. they will run about 200 but you can slam it or drop it a couple of inchs. You want to be as flat footed as possiable when your stopped. All 600's are great starter bikes but as one dude said above... TAKE THE BEGINNER COURSE!!

I'll sell you my 2006 Kawisaki Ninja 650R for $5700. Not even 1 year old yet - rode for 4 1/2 months only. About 5500 miles on her.

Drake13 said:
My friend is about the same hieght as you. You can drop your bike with some dog bones.. they will run about 200 but you can slam it or drop it a couple of inchs. You want to be as flat footed as possiable when your stopped. All 600's are great starter bikes but as one dude said above... TAKE THE BEGINNER COURSE!!

600s are terrible starter bikes.

If you do buy a bike, save enouh to buy full gear.

I had a serious get off at about 90 in a turn, into a guardrail, trust me, you need it.

Every real rider goes down at some point.

Knox Joe said:
If you do buy a bike, save enouh to buy full gear.

I had a serious get off at about 90 in a turn, into a guardrail, trust me, you need it.

Every real rider goes down at some point.

same here. I spent a long while in ICU/general care and didn't get to walk for a while. Internal injuries are a MF.

Drake13 said:
Well if you are wanting a sport bike a 600 is ideal...

Why do you disagree?

Because 600s handle and brake on a knife's edge. Very small steering inputs make very large changes in the line the bike follows. A new rider with little experience needs a wider margin for error. Bikes like the EX500 and GS500 have more relaxed steering geometry and suspension components. A small mistake on something like that will be absorbed much more so than on something designed to be ridden with exacting precision.

People often concern themselves with the overall power of the motorcycle. Forward acceleration (aside from flipping it in a wheelie) is the least of your worries. It's not being able to stop or turn that gets people hurt.

An EX500 still hits 60 in just over 4 seconds. Spend some time on something smaller and easier to control..then, after you've got the basics down and feel comfortable on two wheels, move to something more sporty.

girth said:
Nope, my opinion is start with a 600 or 650. You'll get bored with a 250 VERY quickly. My suggestion is either a Kawisaki 650 Ninja R (best starter bike there is IMO because of the upright seating position and decent handle-bar position compared to a true sport bike, yet it looks like a true sport bike and has good power, so you won't be bored with it)......or if not that then the Suzuki SV650 NON S model (the S is harder to learn on for sure, because of the handle bar position).

Skill listen carefully...Sorry to disagree with you girth, but first bike with no experience and assuming never riden a dirt bike either, I would go with a 250cc all the way...Yes it may get boring after a while but the point is mastering the 250cc before moving on up...Valve your life first...This is the very reason why so much people on bikes get hurt quick, because they THINK they can handle the bike...I know everyone here is suggesting 600cc but trust me 250cc all the way

Back