Rearview mirror temperature gauge question

debbi

:
Mazda Protege 5
I have an outside temperature gauge in my rearview mirror and although this seems like a silly question, I've always wondered why sometimes it will read "Ice". There seems to be no ryhme or reason - it will read "ice" at varying degrees of temperature.... it makes sense to me that it'll do it when it's at or below freezing but at 38, 39 degrees?

I don't have a temp. gauge in my mirror so I have no idea but I bet it explains what it means in the owners manual. Probably ice on the sensor.

I've looked through my owner's manual and unless I'm totally missing something somewhere, there is no reference to it all.... Thanks though for your input, that makes sense......

It's going to say Ice when you start your car up at those temperatures(I'm assuming) from the fact that there may still be ice on the road. Even if it's 38 degrees out, it could have been 20 over night and a sheet of ice on the road.

Like boostedPR5 said, it will ICE at temps above 32 degrees beacuse it's reading the air temp which warms faster then the temp of the pavement so if it's 38 degrees in the morning at 8am and the sun is out it is possible that shady areas of the road are still around 30 degrees from the night before. It's just leting you know that there is a chance some icy conditions could exsist.

I have an outside temperature gauge in my rearview mirror and although this seems like a silly question, I've always wondered why sometimes it will read "Ice". There seems to be no ryhme or reason - it will read "ice" at varying degrees of temperature.... it makes sense to me that it'll do it when it's at or below freezing but at 38, 39 degrees?

You might have better luck asking this in one of the newer Mazda forums - I don't think 99% of P5's have the rearview mirror with a temp. sensor

I believe the wiring is there tucked up under the head liner so all you have to do is pull it out and attach the auto dim rear view mirror in it's place. I think I've seen them online somewhere but can't remember what site.

Back